Player Watch Wil Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please dont remind us of Tom Wilson

Why?

The bloke gave it his all and was a terrific team man. He was a top line VFL player who didn't quite cut it at AFL level. No harm done, these Cat B rookies are essentially free hits. If the player actually makes it, then it's just a bonus.

Parker had the choice of plying his trade at the AIA Centre or out in Footscray. No brainer really.

He's contracted for Shield cricket, until the end of the season (mid-late march?) even though he hasnt played a game in a few years -- can he walk out now, or does he have to wait til his contract expires?

Surely they shake hands and let him go early. Either way, cricket is done and dusted in a months time anyway.

One of my mates has met Parker a few times through his cricketing connections. Says Parker quit cricket as he knows that he just doesn’t quite have the skills to guarantee a professional career. Unlikely to play for Australia or play in a major T20 league.

If they do a footy highlights pac

He hasnt played since he was 17 and an under ager. Our list profile gives time to develop him into where we think is best that might be back, mid or fwd. Given was his first year under 18s Eastern may have viewed him differently than a HB in his 2nd year. Harry will be a mid longer term. Noble might be a tradeable commodity by end next year but i hope a 100 game premiership player. Markov will be 28. I think it makes perfect sense.
Have you done the same profile for the Dogs? It’s a bit skinnier…

It’s these moves that drive my frustration over the hand wringing that goes on re our age profile. List regeneration opportunities will always pop up (Condon the other) along with trade/ FA options the key is getting them right unlike the Cats who sold the farm for a 1/3 in 2022. Welcome aboard Wil put the work in and you’ll be a chance!

Honestly surprised at this. I’d have thought he’d regard the dogs as a better chance of him getting a game given we’ve now got all of IQ, Markov, Noble, Ryan and Harry competing for spots as running defenders.

Good get though, kid can definitely play, or he could in his draft year.
I think he's made a smart choice. He's not likely to walk in the door good enough for AFL. He's got to develop into being good enough for AFL first. You'd back us to being more likely to develop him well. If he becomes good enough and is stuck behind a queue, he can ask for a trade then.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back