Player Watch Wil Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's made a smart choice. He's not likely to walk in the door good enough for AFL. He's got to develop into being good enough for AFL first. You'd back us to being more likely to develop him well. If he becomes good enough and is stuck behind a queue, he can ask for a trade then.

Yeah I think I agree with this take.

We are amongst the least likely to give him early senior opportunities, but surely amongst the most likely to be able to be patient with him as he develops.

Great signing. Look forward to watching his development wherever he ultimately slots in.

Yeah I think I agree with this take.

We are amongst the least likely to give him early senior opportunities, but surely amongst the most likely to be able to be patient with him as he develops.
Particularly for this kid. He got a couple of early games in cricket - he doesn't just want that, he wants a longer term well paid career. Go to the place that you're going to improve the most over the next 2 years - because development is what he needs if he wants that career, you can re-consider options later on.

Have you done the same profile for the Dogs? It’s a bit skinnier…

It’s these moves that drive my frustration over the hand wringing that goes on re our age profile. List regeneration opportunities will always pop up (Condon the other) along with trade/ FA options the key is getting them right unlike the Cats who sold the farm for a 1/3 in 2022. Welcome aboard Wil put the work in and you’ll be a chance!
✔️ clearly not a big bloke, but if you can get the ball and use the ball - that is pretty handy.

Our recruiters aren’t halfwits.

I think he's made a smart choice. He's not likely to walk in the door good enough for AFL. He's got to develop into being good enough for AFL first. You'd back us to being more likely to develop him well. If he becomes good enough and is stuck behind a queue, he can ask for a trade then.
or we trade players to make room.

if a good % of our young players picked up in recent years via the various channels come on as hoped then there will be a squeeze at the top. We might find that natural attrition via retirements is not enough and some good mid aged players might also find themselves offered up for trade.

Last edited:
Why?

The bloke gave it his all and was a terrific team man. He was a top line VFL player who didn't quite cut it at AFL level. No harm done, these Cat B rookies are essentially free hits. If the player actually makes it, then it's just a bonus.

Parker had the choice of plying his trade at the AIA Centre or out in Footscray. No brainer really.
Tom Wilson was almost there, thought he was OK too, you don’t expect the Cat B guys to make but it’s more of a hope they do.

This kid has the foundation and on face value a better chance than the Big American, coming from a zero AFL base and we know he’s a Premiership player and a great ambassador for the game.

Very astute, get them playing an alternate sport, pick them up for free outside the draft at a time of our choosing

Nothing surer than the AFL will definitely crack down on the definition of a B list player. Somebody who played elite junior football and a TAC cup grand final and was a potential top 20 pick is not what this was meant to be designed for. He partly changed sports because covid had less impact on cricket than on football. Without covid there’s every chance he’d be a well established player already. .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing surer than the AFL will definitely crack down on the definition of a B list player. Somebody who played elite junior football and a TAC cup grand final and was a potential top 20 pick is not what this was meant to be designed for. He partly changed sports because covid had less impact on cricket than on football. Without covid there’s every chance he’d be a well established player already. .
The AFL is getting its talent back from other competing sports. It’s not in their interest to change it.

The AFL is getting its talent back from other competing sports. It’s not in their interest to change it.
This could potentially lead to some manipulation and it should probably be looked at. A potential top 20 draft pick getting to us for nothing without other Clubs being able to compete fairly.

Im glad he chose us and it’s a free hit, you are right it’s why this is in place, get the talent on board.

Anyone done the math on the impact of our SSP and Cat B recruit's impact on our list age profile? For some reason, I'm keen to see us drop below the Cat's average age profile.

Anyone done the math on the impact of our SSP and Cat B recruit's impact on our list age profile? For some reason, I'm keen to see us drop below the Cat's average age profile.

Two 21 year olds. 1 24yr old and 26
Get out of a calculator people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This could potentially lead to some manipulation and it should probably be looked at. A potential top 20 draft pick getting to us for nothing without other Clubs being able to compete fairly.

Im glad he chose us and it’s a free hit, you are right it’s why this is in place, get the talent on board.
Agree . An elite junior player returning after switching from a summer sport like cricket is totally different to picking up a player from a soccer or basketball background, or from Ireland or the USA.

Two 21 year olds. 1 24yr old and 26
Get out of a calculator people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The calculation would go like this.

((25.0 x 36) + 2 x 21 + 24 + 26) / 40)
= 24.8

I don’t know the current average or list size so someone with better numbers can replace my guesses.

Why? We entered the off season with a lack of players in the early-mid 20s demographic. Picking up these players closes that gap and therefore improves depth of ready made players.

besides… it’s best available.

They updated that article with the lists finalised with the SSP period, but I would imagine that Wil Parker isn't counted in that as his signing isn't finalised just yet.

We're now the 4th oldest list, equal with Richmond, behind Geelong, the Bulldogs, and Brisbane.

Considering that Parker is younger than our 24.9yo average age, one would think it would ever so slightly drop us down below Richmond and into having the 5th oldest list.
Hi Vinnie Vegas - the article that you reference is based on the 2023 list. There's an article on Feb 19: List analysis: Where your club ranks for age and experience. Assuming that this article includes SSP, then, by my calculations, our new average age is 25.7 years, so only down slightly on the 25.8 reported in the article on Feb 19 2024, and we're still above the Cats at 25.4. So we still hold the oldest list mantle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back