Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

He said himself after the pre-season game that he was gassed after and took most the week to recover. He needs another pre-season (if not two) at least. Patience, we don't want to burn him out, he has a long career ahead of him.
He seems to be running out VFL games at high levels. It’s worth giving him the opportunity. Even if you sub him once he’s gassed out. Deserves the chance and has the opportunity open this week, has experience around with Breust and Gunston.

I swear you wanna scream your lungs out and blame woke.

I’m aware of my exaggeration.

I thought it would be too obvious to comment on it, but here you are.
No screaming.
No blaming.
Just fact (and hopefully common sense).

Why you made what you now claim to be an “obviously intentionally exaggerated statement” - is a mystery to me.

I don’t get this argument of him being ready or not. Look at the size of him already. He is already bigger than a lot of key defenders and backs. We debuted a kid in round 1 who is 170cm. If he is playing well, then reward him.
Would you rather go into the dogs game on the weekend with Gunston and Ramsden as the talls? That's a horrid setup. Least Calsher can provide an extra big body. Wouldn't expect much from him but create contests in the air and not let it get marked he should be able to do. Why would we protect him?. Don't understand this logic were in development mode so I agree with you he is not a rake of a kid.

No screaming.
No blaming.
Just fact (and hopefully common sense).

Why you made what you now claim to be an “obviously intentionally exaggerated statement” - is a mystery to me.
Relevant period in this sport is about 20 years.
Can you remember any KPP since Buddy/Roughy were draft performing better over 5-6 weeks and still not getting a game?

I don't.

Calsher listed at 87kg in his draft year, I get the sense from this forum he’s bigger than that. Any thoughts on whether he’s filled out / what he would weigh now?

Calsher listed at 87kg in his draft year, I get the sense from this forum he’s bigger than that. Any thoughts on whether he’s filled out / what he would weigh now?
That's actually a good starting base for an 18 year old tall. Hes a reasonable size now perhaps 90kgs. Certainly not Will Macabe as an example. Has a similar gait and shape as his old man who was built like an Ox.

What we say ultimately doesn't matter. Sam and the development staff will have clearly outlined and indicated to Calsher how they want him to develop. And chances are, he'll probably have to bide his time until at least late in the season and probably won't play many games if he does debut. But I would love to see him play this week, even if it was his only game of the season. With no Lewis and possibly no Ramsden, our forward line being an absolute mess, and the Bulldogs having a young and inexperienced defence, there wouldn’t be many better opportunities for him to make a good debut. If we sent him to either Khamis or O'Donnell, two players who are both equally raw despite being more experienced, he could do quite well and exploit them with his agility and good (from what I've seen) leading patterns. Seeing him in the VFL, he seems to like playing in front of his man. This could catch out two raw opponents.

Relevant period in this sport is about 20 years.
Can you remember any KPP since Buddy/Roughy were draft performing better over 5-6 weeks and still not getting a game?

I don't.
From 2005 alone

Kurt Tippett
Chris Dawes
Josh Kennedy (Car/WCE)
Aaron Edwards

They were all dominant at state level and stayed in their respective clubs 2s

More recently

Oscar Allen
Todd Marshall
Jacob Van Royen
Hayden McLean
Joel Amartey
Lachlan Gollant

Mitch Lewis also didn’t get a gig until halfway through his second season, thought I honestly can’t recall if he was bashing the door down or our cupboard was bare.

You’re obviously forgetting that Calsher barely touched the footy against Casey and didn’t bother the scorers against Gold Coast.

To suggest his form has been the best 5-6 weeks by a tall forward in the recent history of state level football is a stretch.

He's playing well, for sure but hardly making it impossible for the match committee to keep him at Box Hill.

He may well get selected because we effectively have no one else available.

If he does I hope he plays well, but I doubt the opposition defensive coach will be having sleepless nights if that happens.

From 2005 alone

Kurt Tippett
Chris Dawes
Josh Kennedy (Car/WCE)
Aaron Edwards

They were all dominant at state level and stayed in their respective clubs 2s

More recently

Oscar Allen
Todd Marshall
Jacob Van Royen
Hayden McLean
Joel Amartey
Lachlan Gollant

Mitch Lewis also didn’t get a gig until halfway through his second season, thought I honestly can’t recall if he was bashing the door down or our cupboard was bare.

You’re obviously forgetting that Calsher barely touched the footy against Casey and didn’t bother the scorers against Gold Coast.

To suggest his form has been the best 5-6 weeks by a tall forward in the recent history of state level football is a stretch.

He's playing well, for sure but hardly making it impossible for the match committee to keep him at Box Hill.

He may well get selected because we effectively have no one else available.

If he does I hope he plays well, but I doubt the opposition defensive coach will be having sleepless nights if that happens.
OK, i was thinking only of Hawthorn listed players, but fine.
On Mitch Lewis, my recollection is that he had a patch of form kicking 2-3 at BH for about a month and then he debuted.
Might have been 6 weeks, but it was the middle to latter part of the season and he wasn't doing quite as much in other areas of the game. Dear is doing quite a lot in just about every part of the game for a KPF. Marks, tackles, goals, pressure.

All the others I don't know much about their early days - but if you're saying they were dominating for months before getting their debut, I will take your word for it.

That's actually a good starting base for an 18 year old tall. Hes a reasonable size now perhaps 90kgs. Certainly not Will Macabe as an example. Has a similar gait and shape as his old man who was built like an Ox.
Haha his dad was before my time but 188cm and 106kg is definitely built like an ox!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, my thoughts exactly. He's no less developed than any other 18 year old key forward who has debuted in the last 10 years.
You’re right, he’s not, but he’s not going to have any cover or help if he plays this week, unless we think Gunston can shoulder that load and protect him.

I don’t think he can.

It may just be a lot better for Calsh to get a look when he can not gain the attention of the 1st or 2nd best defender.

I'm just ecstatic that our pick 56 from the last draft is even in the conversation for a big forward spot 8 weeks into his first season.
That is a big tick for the lad and the club
Some of the credit for his performances has to go to Gunners. I watched gunners in pre season and at training. Calsh just follows him around while gunners shows him how to position himself. Where to run and the purpose of the drills that we were running. He has done a lot with our young forwards including Buttsy.

Calsher's confidence is growing week to week. A bit of a slow start this week but came into it in the second half. I hope he continues to hone his craft at box hill. Kid has lots to learn and is keen to do so

It is a difficult situation - the team needs a big forward in this week, and Dear has done enough to deserve a go in the 1sts.

If I was in the coaches box, I'd put Dear at FF, with Sicily at CHF and Gunston roaming the forward line as well.
Bring Phillips in to shore up the defence.

If any opposition player does the wrong thing to Dear - Sicily to actually fly the flag. Might wake him up from his 2024 slumber to fire up and support a FS legacy 1st gamer.

As much as Im keen to see Dear debut, there may be little to be gained from him playing in the seniors yet.
Yes we have a need, but he wont be the difference between a W and a L.

Play him where its best for his development and his long term future.

Without Lewis or Chol in the side, he likely gets Liam Jones.

No disrespect of the VFL defenders, but he will struggle against that type of opponent.

Teams reward good form, and the cupboard is bare at our club. What message are we sending to Calsher if he doesn't get a run this week?

Plus, his first game in the seniors isn't going to be his last, no matter what the outcome.

At some point an AFL defender will get on top of him for a whole game. If it happens this week, it's his first game, and it will be a learning experience.

We all see the rationale in waiting till we can pick or choose the perfect matchups/game for him.

But as has been said, 5/6 weeks of good form as a key forward usually gets you into the ones.

We haven't had a key forward show this much talent since Buddy and then Rough. He's already stepped from no-where to VFL level and handled it pretty well.

Why not see if his game translates to a higher level a second time.

Last edited:
Teams reward good form, and the cupboard is bare at our club. What message are we sending to Calsher if he doesn't get a run this week?
Probably that he’s not quite ready, and that’s ok if that’s the case.

The development coaches would have made him quite aware of the things he’s got to work on, and get better at.

If he cracks it for a game this week that’s great, but he’s probably not going to lose his mind if he doesn’t get one either.

Calsher Dear (Two goals, 16 disposals, six marks, four tackles, three inside 50s)

“After a really quiet first half where he was sort of playing the second ruck role, we decided to leave Calsher primarily as a forward to keep settling him and give us some representation. In the second half, he was really dominant. He finished the game really strongly so I was pleased with his mentality and how he responded at half-time. He was challenged about his positioning and his work rate so for him to respond at half-time was really pleasing.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back