Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

From his 'Welcome' video on the HFC site, he looks like a close-checking KPD who will rebound with ball in hand, then link-up by providing outside run, before bombing long inside F50m, at which point he'll become a tall-marking forward option, with Roughy as his decoy.

He is probably the reason we were happy to retire Lake & Hale in the same year, then send Hill packing - frankly, they were just holding this guy back...

I'm looking forward to 12 spoils, 60 possessions & 5 goals a week from Conor*!

*in his debut year!
You missed him pinch hitting in the ruck

I noticed this too, the only player in my memory at the Hawks who moved like, and had that athleticism was Croad (who was more of a 'bustler' than a gazelle to be fair). If Nash cottons on a bit quicker than Trent, and gets to Croad's level as a defender, that would be massive for the Hawks.
I would also include Jon Hay at his best. Some of his runs out of defense was gazelle like.

I've seen both Conors play gaelic. Conor Glass is around 6'3 - 6'4 with Nash a little taller. Both fabulous athletes with natural footballing ability - probably the two best young players in Ireland (the O'Connor lad from Kerry who's suppposedly going to Geelong is also top class). Glass is a better footballer with Nash the better athlete from what I have seen - though there is not much in it either way. Both should be perfectly suited to AFL.
A bonus for Hawthorn is that Glass is from Derry and Nash from Meath - neither county has had much recent success or have much prospect of winning All-Irelands anytime soon, so they won't have that pull home. O'Connor is from Kerry so he would be more likely to return to Ireland for purely football reasons (players from the top counties like Kerry, Dublin, Mayo and Tyrone can live almost as professional athletes with loads of perks and get to play regularly in Croke Park in front of 80k people). In GAA you can't really transfer between counties, except in pretty rare circumstances.

I've seen both Conors play gaelic. Conor Glass is around 6'3 - 6'4 with Nash a little taller. Both fabulous athletes with natural footballing ability - probably the two best young players in Ireland (the O'Connor lad from Kerry who's suppposedly going to Geelong is also top class). Glass is a better footballer with Nash the better athlete from what I have seen - though there is not much in it either way. Both should be perfectly suited to AFL.
A bonus for Hawthorn is that Glass is from Derry and Nash from Meath - neither county has had much recent success or have much prospect of winning All-Irelands anytime soon, so they won't have that pull home. O'Connor is from Kerry so he would be more likely to return to Ireland for purely football reasons (players from the top counties like Kerry, Dublin, Mayo and Tyrone can live almost as professional athletes with loads of perks and get to play regularly in Croke Park in front of 80k people). In GAA you can't really transfer between counties, except in pretty rare circumstances.
Hopefully they turn out better than kilkenny.

Excellent news and thanks for writing this up for us all to read. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

FFS guys someone give me something!!

Who does he play like.. strengths, weaknesses??

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Mate he has never played Australian Rules Football before at any level. You can't so who he plays like cause he doesn't play yet.

In saying that he is big and strong and athletic. The club see's him as a key back one day. Body shape would be similar to Stephen May.

They have thinned him down while they work on his endurance and they have been going at this very very hard indeed.

It is impossible to tell you who he plays like because:

- he has never played a serious competition game of footy at any level

- he is very much learning the game and will continue to do so for many years.

He is less of a natural footyballer than C1.

He lacks C1's natural:

- fluid kicking action

- facility overhead which is frigging' staggering for a gael

- 360 degree situational awareness

- honed decision reflexes

However he is friggin' tall, a true KP height 197 cm, and quick over the ground. His kicking action is a little mechanical particularly taking set shots, a lot like Shem, but still very accurate and effective.

He has more of a rugby bent so l how long he takes to master our game to the level where he becomes a regular senior fixture is anyone's guess but three years should show us what we might have.

With his height, pace, strength as they build him up later, and application this kid screams genuine potential.

And he is a lovely, mature, assured kid to boot.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have thinned him down while they work on his endurance and they have been going at this very very hard indeed.

It is impossible to tell you who he plays like because:

- he has never played a serious competition game of footy at any level

- he is very much learning the game and will continue to do so for many years.

He is less of a natural footyballer than C1.

He lacks C1's natural:

- fluid kicking action

- facility overhead which is frigging' staggering for a gael

- 360 degree situational awareness

- natural honed decision reflexes

However he is friggin' tall, a true KP height 197 cm, and quick over the ground. His kicking action is a little mechanical particularly taking set shots, a lot like Shem, but still very accurate and effective.

He has more of a rugby bent so l how long he takes to master out game to the level whee he becomes a regular senior fixture is anyone's guess but three years should show us what we might have.

With his height, pace, strength as they build him up later, and application this kid screams genuine potential.

And he is a lovely, mature, assured kid to boot.
Bang.

Thanks buddy

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

From his 'Welcome' video on the HFC site, he looks like a close-checking KPD who will rebound with ball in hand, then link-up by providing outside run, before bombing long inside F50m, at which point he'll become a tall-marking forward option, with Roughy as his decoy.

He is probably the reason we were happy to retire Lake & Hale in the same year, then send Hill packing - frankly, they were just holding this guy back...

I'm looking forward to 12 spoils, 60 possessions & 5 goals a week from Conor*!

*in his debut year!

I thought the same but I don't want to put a ceiling on his performance.

My mate did an interview with Conor last week that was published on a popular Irish sports website over the weekend. It gives a very decent insight into the depth of recruitment you guys are doing in Ireland and the decision making process he had to go through before deciding on Hawthorn over rugby/uni. Hopefully his injury from the weekend isn't too bad.

http://www.the42.ie/conor-nash-interview-hawthorn-afl-3384603-May2017/

I'm really looking forward to both Glass's and particularly Nash's development. To think a guy who is barely a year out of Ireland playing a different game is a regularly strong contributor for BH is a great testament to his raw athletic talent, but even more so to his commitment as well as his ability to adapt and develop new skills - that's not something that everyone has...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting that Conor has done his hamstring as reported by Chris Newman but was not mentioned by Jack Russell in the BUPA injury report nor the AFL website injury report.
Presumably we only get a report on senior players that are injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back