Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

Think both Nash and Glass have significant best 22 roles in the near future at Hawthorn. Nash is an extremely exciting prospect for his raw physical attributes, still remember being absolutely gobsmacked watching him play against the Saints in round 22 last year. Glass is very close to breaking into the backline I feel, and there is no doubt in my mind that Clarko's gonna give him an opportunity this year.

Think both Nash and Glass have significant best 22 roles in the near future at Hawthorn. Nash is an extremely exciting prospect for his raw physical attributes, still remember being absolutely gobsmacked watching him play against the Saints in round 22 last year. Glass is very close to breaking into the backline I feel, and there is no doubt in my mind that Clarko's gonna give him an opportunity this year.
Hard to see who they force out of the side though.

Nash isn't KPF so he doesn't play forward. He isn't Scully/Smitty/Hendo so he doesn't play wing.

He doesn't know the game well enough to play in defence, other than potentially in a lock-down KPD role. Even there, he probs needs a couple of years learning the role, our team defence & how to kick long to the advantage of a teammate.

Glass as a BP? I don't mind it, but it won't be in place of Hardwick or Stratts so again, I don't see which spot he takes.

They've both got good attributes to work with, but IMO they'll not be demanding games in the 1sts any time soon.

Nash isn't KPF so he doesn't play forward. He isn't Scully/Smitty/Hendo so he doesn't play wing.

He doesn't know the game well enough to play in defence, other than potentially in a lock-down KPD role. Even there, he probs needs a couple of years learning the role, our team defence & how to kick long to the advantage of a teammate.

Glass as a BP? I don't mind it, but it won't be in place of Hardwick or Stratts so again, I don't see which spot he takes.

They've both got good attributes to work with, but IMO they'll not be demanding games in the 1sts any time soon.
Nash is a league average kick away from being a very good player for us, unfortunately i think that is still another 12 months away from happening. Nash is a physical freak and will be a nightmare to match up on but until he can regularly hit targets teams won't fear him having the ball. Excited for his future but i agree with you that i think he is still a while away from demanding regular best 22 games.

His kicking has improved. A lot straighter than his round the corner stuff. He's being talked up by a few on the inside.
Forgetting whom he pushes out of the current stuffs for a minute, where does he fit on the field ESC?

What position seems his best?

He's been playing forward in the scratch matches. Seemed to be playing a floating high forward.

I prefer him down back. His size and speed will allow him to get to a truck-load of contests. He's got to start using his height to a greater advantage. I can't see him making it if he's going to play like a mid-sizer.

Forgetting whom he pushes out of the current stuffs for a minute, where does he fit on the field ESC?

What position seems his best?
Doesn't need to push anyone out at this stage. As of our last competitive game he was in the side as a forward. It's up to others to take his spot, tim Obrien and Mitch Lewis probably next in line. Gunston, Roughead and shoenmakers were the other tall forwards in that game, 2 of which may be gone at the end of 2019.

I think generally, nash will play as a forward and think he can earn a spot in a pocket or flank to play as a pressure forward with elite fitness, speed, tackling and even size to an extent. Not to mention Nash turns 21 in july so youth is well and truly on his side. May not have the football IQ to play the wing although he almost has everything else.

Glass on the other hand is just about a ready made AFL footballer in terms of physicality and skills now. With frawley aging and imo Brand coming through to take Chip's spot in coming seasons, think looking to the future we'd likely struggle with rebounding having both frawley and brand in the team which then points to a more offensive style backman in Glass.

His kicking has improved. A lot straighter than his round the corner stuff. He's being talked up by a few on the inside.

Heard the same, a lot of attention into rewiring that kicking instinct.

He's been playing forward in the scratch matches. Seemed to be playing a floating high forward.

I prefer him down back. His size and speed will allow him to get to a truck-load of contests. He's got to start using his height to a greater advantage. I can't see him making it if he's going to play like a mid-sizer.

Don't agree on the down back part, however. He's definitely being groomed to play a similar role to late career Richo and Riewoldt; floating off the HFF - tall, great endurance and an absolute nightmare match up. That's where his best footy will be.

His kicking has to improve a hell of a lot.

The kid rivals Ben Stratton and Will Langford as the two worst set shot goal kickers in our history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glass seems to have stagnated over the past 12 - 18 months and Nash has potential, but lots to work on before cementing a spot in the senior team...

Not sure either has a huge future.

Our list could really do with one of the Irish becoming A or B grade 200 gamer but I am with you. Just not seeing it atm.

Our list could really do with one of the Irish becoming A or B grade 200 gamer but I am with you. Just not seeing it atm.
Is it too early to tell?

Or the A or B grade irishmen (like Tuohy, Kennelly), how far had they progressed inside of 1-2 seasons? That's where Glass and Nash are.

Is it too early to tell?

Or the A or B grade irishmen (like Tuohy, Kennelly), how far had they progressed inside of 1-2 seasons? That's where Glass and Nash are.

Nash starting his 3rd year Glass his 4th. Not sure how long these guys take?

Nash starting his 3rd year Glass his 4th. Not sure how long these guys take?

That's hardly an exclusively Irish problem, it happens to players who grow up playing the game too.

Took Breust a few years to break in and play. Duryea was on the list for a long time before becoming a regular.

For some reason we place more expectation on these guys when we should be placing less. To me, it's impressive that Nash broke into the side for finals in his second year, acquitted himself well in most games and has been excellent on the track in the off season. Especially when you think about the fact that most of his first year was spent on the sidelines with a severe hamstring injury.

That's hardly an exclusively Irish problem, it happens to players who grow up playing the game too.

Took Breust a few years to break in and play. Duryea was on the list for a long time before becoming a regular.

For some reason we place more expectation on these guys when we should be placing less. To me, it's impressive that Nash broke into the side for finals in his second year, acquitted himself well in most games and has been excellent on the track in the off season. Especially when you think about the fact that most of his first year was spent on the sidelines with a severe hamstring injury.

Agree re Nash. Glass is the one who would probably like to nail a first 22 spot down sooner rather than later but he is still only 21.

Part of the expectation probably stems from the raps that these guys come with. i.e. Gaelic gun, played with men, strong bodied, super quick for his size etc.etc

Nash 197cm, 92kg, close second to Isaac Smith at our December time trial at 20 years of age, great physical attributes for someone his age.
Love to see him on the wing in a few years. To add to the conversation, I believe Smith himself, having played footy all his life, was drafted at 21-22, no?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back