Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

The lack of one has been staggering, given the players we had through the entire 80s.

It’s almost like our greats sought out non athletic partners, or just flat out told their sons to play soccer.

Crazy.
Maybe the lads partied too hard after all the GF victories which in turn damaged all their little swimmers. I mean the HFC has done a sh**t load of winning so it could just be a simple as that 😂

Need to persist with him, give him a chance.

If Clarko was expecting him to shut down one of the hardest working and toughest clearance midfielders, who also happens to be one of the top 10 midfielders in the competition, in his second full game then he was delusional. He did an admirable job given the circumstances.

The way to develop and learn is to play on the best.
It will be all part of his education.
Clarko wouldnt have expected him to win his position.

If Clarko expected that then maybe he isn't the man for the job.

Why would he expect a debutant to beat a seasoned opposition gun?
It wouldn't even cross his mind.

I think people forget that we as individuals all start from a very low base in our respective careers.
Footballers are no different.

So why did they persist with Kosi and not with Finn? Cos the match committee have some bias against him? Cos you know they ripped the band aid off for Kosi didn't they. Its the same reason Downie can't get a gig and guess what both of them may never make it that is real scenario. I think because they are father / son and or NGA ppl want them to succeed but wanting it and them actually being capable are two different things. If they succeed it will take time and we will need to be patient

Sorry mate, I'm not sure what you are really trying to say. It has nothing to do with being a father son, and everything to do with the current state of our list. Maginness was considered almost a top 20 pick by most draft experts. That is what holds out hope for me, not his dad.

You seem to be advocating that Finn is dropped after 5 quarters of AFL football this year, for potential the very type of player we know isn't going to carry this list forward.

I don't think anyone is saying Finn will categorically make it, he might not. But if you are brining him up to the level, given the damn kid a run at it, and let's all see.

We need to fast track our kids exposure to the level, and accept the pain, rather then hang on to this outdated notion you need to do an apprenticeship at the level below, whilst blokes that wouldn't get a game at many other teams fill the gap.

It's frustrating because it feels the messaging from the match committee is about our kids not doing something, running patters was Finn's. But then you see other clubs, bombers being one, that just seem to let them go out there with freedom, play to their strengths and without too much complexity in following a structure.

That's exciting to see. You can see them grow in confidence weekly. As a bottom 4 team, I don't want to see us yo-yo young kids. Give them a block of games, when you make the decision to bring them up.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, I'm not sure what you are really trying to say. It has nothing to do with being a father son, and everything to do with the current state of our list. Maginness was considered almost a top 20 pick by most draft experts. That is what holds out hope for me, not his dad.

You seem to be advocating that Finn is dropped after 5 quarters of AFL football this year, for potential the very type of player we know isn't going to carry this list forward.

I don't think anyone is saying Finn will categorically make it, he might not. But if you are brining him up to the level, given the damn kid a run at it, and let's all see.

We need to fast track our kids exposure to the level, and accept the pain, rather then hang on to this outdated notion you need to do an apprenticeship at the level below, whilst blokes that wouldn't get a game at many other teams fill the gap.

It's frustrating because it feels the messaging from the match committee is about our kids not doing something, running patters was Finn's. But then you see other clubs, bombers being one, that just seem to let them go out there with freedom, play to their strengths and without too much complexity in following a structure.

That's exciting to see. You can see them grow in confidence weekly. As a bottom 4 team, I don't want to see us yo-yo young kids. Give them a block of games, when you make the decision to bring them up.
First we are not the bombers. Here is the harsh truth if you really want to hear it. The bomber kids are probably better than our kids. You play to a structure and you play as part of a team no one is going out there to do his own thing. I know running patterns is an in Joke at the moment but any player that comes into our side needs to know how we play. Otherwise you end up with a player like Finn who is ineffective in the team as the team will play a certain way.

First we are not the bombers. Here is the harsh truth if you really want to hear it. The bomber kids are probably better than our kids. You play to a structure and you play as part of a team no one is going out there to do his own thing. I know running patterns is an in Joke at the moment but any player that comes into our side needs to know how we play. Otherwise you end up with a player like Finn who is ineffective in the team as the team will play a certain way.

I think our game plan is the problem in itself. Limiting damage. We look our best when we play with a more attacking flair, which only really happens when we are pushing sht up hill and have to deviate from our one wood of boring the s**t out of everyone...

My point here is, perhaps we should consider a less complex, structured and over coached plan, and preference bringing kids up to the level with a chance to use their attributes. Let them build confidence at the level, before over complicating things.

After all, it's not like we are bottom 2 in scores against and bottom 3 in scoring with our current game plan or anything...

I think our game plan is the problem in itself. Limiting damage. We look our best when we play with a more attacking flair, which only really happens when we are pushing sht up hill and have to deviate from our one wood of boring the sh*t out of everyone...

My point here is, perhaps we should consider a less complex, structured and over coached plan, and preference bringing kids up to the level with a chance to use their attributes. Let them build confidence at the level, before over complicating things.

After all, it's not like we are bottom 2 in scores against and bottom 3 in scoring with our current game plan or anything...

ah, gameplan discussion, TheFourPillars favourite

My memory of 04 and 05 is we played guys who were not ready and got games into them but scared to do that now. Not saying all at once but Finn should be given a few in a row and if doesn’t perform then go back to BH. Same goes for Brockman, Downie etc
We did get games into youth but we also played plenty of senior guys who were not expected to play in our next flag. How much the balance has shifted between now and then, I’m not sure but we rotated a lot of youth through rather than play them all at once. I think as the year goes on we will see more young players go through the seniors. Hopefully they get more than one week before going out but I do expect them to be short bursts unless they excel. The demands are not just physical, they are mental too and Clarko won’t burn out kids even if they are physically capable.

Hey 4P - how close is the Box Hill system to the senior hawks team system?? I assume they are nearly identical so that a player in Box Hill could step into the senior line up and although the personnel will be different the systems and structures and patterns are pretty similar or are they completely different?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey 4P - how close is the Box Hill system to the senior hawks team system?? I assume they are nearly identical so that a player in Box Hill could step into the senior line up and although the personnel will be different the systems and structures and patterns are pretty similar or are they completely different?
Box hill plays the hawks system.

I think our game plan is the problem in itself. Limiting damage. We look our best when we play with a more attacking flair, which only really happens when we are pushing sht up hill and have to deviate from our one wood of boring the sh*t out of everyone...

I was just thinking tonight how long it has been since I saw a Friday night match with the Hawks playing.

I was about to get all angry with the AFL about this but then I thought to myself would a neutral supporter really be interested in watching the Hawks grind away for our standard 7 to 9 goals a game?

I have been banging on about this a bit but if we don't at least start to try to play attacking football it will have a financial impact on the club.

I mean really what have we got to lose? Maybe we were trying to limit blow out losses with our defensive gameplan but given what happened last week against StKilda that horse has well and truelly bolted.

I would love the fellas to come out this Sunday and play with some verve, flair and attacking intent. I am not holding my breath though.......

I was just thinking tonight how long it has been since I saw a Friday night match with the Hawks playing.

I was about to get all angry with the AFL about this but then I thought to myself would a neutral supporter really be interested in watching the Hawks grind away for our standard 7 to 9 goals a game?

I have been banging on about this a bit but if we don't at least start to try to play attacking football it will have a financial impact on the club.

I mean really what have we got to lose? Maybe we were trying to limit blow out losses with our defensive gameplan but given what happened last week against StKilda that horse has well and truelly bolted.

I would love the fellas to come out this Sunday and play with some verve, flair and attacking intent. I am not holding my breath though.......
Here is the thing, we are trying to play attacking football. We just aren’t very good at it.

If Finn has been omitted it’s due in part to who is coming back into the side and also whether he did all that was asked.

I thought he built into the game and won some contests, but ultimately that might not have been enough of what they wanted from him.

A total joke if true, poor blokes get stuff all chances, yet some get a multitude of chances and do nothing. Finn gets thrown to the wolves and put on Steele. Jeka has to play in that forward line which gets the worst delivery you could ever get and is expected to perform. Pathetic.
Couldn’t agree more of true and teaches them nothing, drains confidence and shows all the other young players one bad game your out but we will
Play the seniors no matter what.

shows to me we are not embracing the rebuild no matter how you spin it. Has clarko officially lost the plot...

Yeah hahaha nope given up
I haven't. I did 2yrs ago to be honest, but not now we've pivoted.

It's like any discipline, you have strict rules until everyone knows where they should be, then you just let them play. And if you've got the talent you win 3 in a row.

Bloody hard for some to understand though, because they are too focused on recent mistakes made, rather then what's actually happening right now.

Of course Clarko wants our players to miss hitting 8 attacking kicks out of 10, has to be someones fault, rather then just admitting we are not good enough, at the moment.

And did you really just say that the drug cheating scum have better kids - oh no shock horror - it means I'll just have to keep supporting for longer until I get to celebrate - I can't stand it anymore, so lets sack someone !!

If Jags and Wingard are back then Finn misses out.
I just hope that at some point this season he gets a red hot go with a substantial block of games.
if he isn’t in the starting 22 by the end of the season and guys like Shiels and Howe are in front of him it will be a long season to grind out as a supporter. Admittedly he should be putting up some solid numbers at Box Hill for a call up anyway. Howe with 30 will be hard to top

Remove this Banner Ad

Back