Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Got a 2yr extension right?

Perhaps not so make or break as others are thinking
2020 was a complete write-off for the developing players imo. Particularly for first year players like Finn who hadn't even got a proper year of development in the AFL system under their belt to give them a sense of how to make the best of that year without a proper comp to play in.

As far as I'm concerned this was his first proper season in the system and he's tracking just as well as you could reasonably expect of a player who went in the 2nd round. I'm hoping to see him push to play 11+ games next season. Ideally earning a spot in the best 22 and keeping Howe/Shiels out of the side.

Most training watchers have commented on how Finn's looking so far this summer, and his intent to burst from stoppages. I believe Scrimshaw mentioned in a vid a few weeks back that they want him to not release the ball as quickly, and to break from stoppages.

Seems that this might have been a key to that.

Most training watchers have commented on how Finn's looking so far this summer, and his intent to burst from stoppages. I believe Scrimshaw mentioned in a vid a few weeks back that they want him to not release the ball as quickly, and to break from stoppages.

Seems that this might have been a key to that.

I love that he's identified a weakness and has gone to such an effort to rectify it. Speaks volumes to where he's at mentally. We could surprise a few this year with our development.

Even if Finn becomes a B+ player it’s a win. Has a lot of going for him with endurance and strength. Go Finn

Shiels level player is what I'm hoping for - a solid AFL contributor that can have the odd A game.

Though Finn has some physical tools that others don't have. Hopefully that sets him apart.

Shiels level player is what I'm hoping for - a solid AFL contributor that can have the odd A game.

Though Finn has some physical tools that others don't have. Hopefully that sets him apart.
Sorry, i am going to be greedy! Maginness will be our new Kennedy with speed. 👍

It’s important to remember that he’s still a kid. Add to that one that has had no favours in his development in his first 2 COVID interrupted seasons in the AFL. It would’ve been great to see him force his way into the team but you’d think for that to happen there needed to be regular VFL games being played which there wasn’t. Let’s just see how he goes this season which hopefully isn’t interrupted / ruined like the last couple. I have faith.

Sorry, i am going to be greedy! Maginness will be our new Kennedy with speed. 👍
That’s a very nice best case scenario. Would transform our trajectory back towards the pointy end of the ladder if that happened.

Even if Finn becomes a B+ player it’s a win. Has a lot of going for him with endurance and strength. Go Finn
And sounds like has spent a lot of time on his burst speed over preseason.

We need guys like Finn and Nash to come through as they provide a point of difference to our existing mids (Tom, JOM, worp, shiels) who are a bit similar and don’t really complement each other.

If Finn can provide a big body, burst from the contest and some hard transition running he’ll add a lot. Can see why they’re trying to teach him to hold onto the ball and burst a bit more. He’s got the size that opposition mids have to really commit to a tackle and if he runs hard aggressively not many will keep up.

I think he has more potential than Shiels did at the same stage. Hopefully it clicks for him this year.

I think he has more potential than Shiels did at the same stage. Hopefully it clicks for him this year.

We'll see, Shiels was very good in his third year and serviceable enough in year 1 and 2. People forget that Shiels was playing for us while still at school.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Care to guess which one has played two seasons with huge hinderance from COVID

Dumb post
Shiels was playing while attending school in his first year at the club. He also broke Crawford's time trail record in his first season or two. The kid was ready to play senior footy at 17 and went on to have an incredible career as one of the premier defensive mids in the comp and a vital piece of three premierships. I'm excited about Finn too but lets not compromise the reality of how good Shiels was at a young age in order to talk up a kid who is training well.

I wouldn't necessarily say that this is a way to measure potential at the same stages in their career given the vastly different era's/way their development has been handled.
Well Shiels went on to have a career averaging these or better numbers in a triple premiership team as one of the premier defensive mids in the comp so it was pretty indicative of his afl potential. And he did this with one of his seasons being compromised by the fact he was still in school and was recruited a year early based on his upside as a 16 year old. Obviously there is reason to be excited about Finn but Shiels was a freak for his age and we shouldn't forget it.

Care to guess which one has played two seasons with huge hinderance from COVID

Dumb post

It's not, a dumb post is to say Finn has more potential based on a single strong pre-season. I'm bullish on Finn's qualities but Shiels was a highlight in a few frustrating years but alongside some Hawks stars, don't think it's worth dismissing him by comparing a player who couldn't even break into arguably the worst performing midfield in the comp.

Shiels was playing while attending school in his first year at the club. He also broke Crawford's time trail record in his first season or two. The kid was ready to play senior footy at 17 and went on to have an incredible career as one of the premier defensive mids in the comp and a vital piece of three premierships. I'm excited about Finn too but lets not compromise the reality of how good Shiels was at a young age in order to talk up a kid who is training well.
Can you think for one second about the differing mental states of both players

One playing senior AFL footy while at school, loving life, getting adulation and rubbing shoulders with greats of the game

One didnt know if he was going to play week in week out while going through a generational event under a coach and a system that didnt allow young players to show their strengths, rather point out their weaknesses

It's not, a dumb post is to say Finn has more potential based on a single strong pre-season. I'm bullish on Finn's qualities but Shiels was a highlight in a few frustrating years but alongside some Hawks stars, don't think it's worth dismissing him by comparing a player who couldn't even break into arguably the worst performing midfield in the comp.
Where did I say that he did?

Finn and Shiels development at the same age is polar opposite

To compare them at the same age is folly and unfair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back