Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully we see him play afl early - both to see how far he’s improved and what he still needs to work on (if he’s dropped down to vfl).

Will not be surprised if the aim is for Nash and Finn (and Jai/worpel) to do a lot of the grunt work, freeing up (and extending the careers) of Mitchell, JOM and chad. Whether this really works is another thing.

Has he done enough so far this pre-season to get a starting gig when the real stuff starts or have Ward etc gone past him?
From the training reports, its sounds like the knock on Finn is his disposal.

Has he done enough so far this pre-season to get a starting gig when the real stuff starts or have Ward etc gone past him?

He's in that group coveting for a position in the midfield, isn't he?

Unfortunately, you can't have below average disposal at AFL level - I honestly can't envision Finn playing early rounds until he demonstrates improvement within this area.

He's in that group coveting for a position in the midfield, isn't he?

Unfortunately, you can't have below average disposal at AFL level - I honestly can't envision Finn playing early rounds until he demonstrates improvement within this area.

What I can't understand is the club can surely see his kicking probs since being drafted... What on earth has he been doing during 2 covid yrs to fix it....or at least improve such a vital skill set. Of course I have to include the coaches in this.

I'm admitting I don't know. Does anyone have some input in this ???

I've seen him kick extremely well at times.

So the problem is not that he can't kick well, it's that the ratio of good kicks/shanks is a bit too high.

Not quite Travis Tuck levels, but it is the area he needs to eliminate.

What I can't understand is the club can surely see his kicking probs since being drafted... What on earth has he been doing during 2 covid yrs to fix it....or at least improve such a vital skill set. Of course I have to include the coaches in this.

I'm admitting I don't know. Does anyone have some input in this ???

Ha! I've had similar thoughts regarding lots of players.

For example, it peeved me to no end when Ollie Hanrahan turned up year after year with little to no improvement in his endurance capacity. It's honestly the easiest 'area' to improve.

So the problem is not that he can't kick well, it's that the ratio of good kicks/shanks is a bit too high.

Could it also be due to the lack of games played due to 2 x covid effected season? At some point all the stop start and lack of continuous games for the Box Hill boys would've played havoc with a lot of their development. I'm not trying to make an excuse for players like Finn but more so just trying to understand that the development of players like him wouldn't as been as seamless as say a kid that was playing AFL level most weeks.

Happy to be corrected on this btw.

His disposal on average is poor. Shiel butches it too many times. Cousins was appalling. If Finn is to make it he will need to improve his consistency. He can win it like the two I have compared him with, BUT MUST improve his use, or it will be bye bye. His family knows it. Finn knows it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kicking has been fine until these last few training reports.

Maybe his new running technique means he needs to adjust a little.
I would think that’s probably the case, and what they’re now working on.

His kicking has been fine until these last few training reports.

Maybe his new running technique means he needs to adjust a little.
It's hard being lightning quick, super strong and unreal endurance wise.

Gets his kicking right and he'll dominate.

His disposal on average is poor. Shiel butches it too many times. Cousins was appalling. If Finn is to make it he will need to improve his consistency. He can win it like the two I have compared him with, BUT MUST improve his use, or it will be bye bye. His family knows it. Finn knows it.
I’ve had high hopes but after watching match practice with a lift in intensity Finn still has a way to go. Can’t dispose of the ball like he does or forever be standing up in tackles. Hope for his sake kicking improves.

If he gets through the season without a hamstring issue, the whole club should do it for next pre season
I don't think the whole club is as athletically gifted as he is.

His top speed was pushing 40km/hr which is beyond elite, Bolts in his WR run was like 43.

His endurance has been shown to be beyond elite aswell while his strength is unreal. Just a freak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back