Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I only saw it once at the game before the comment rewatching it makes it much more believable that it was a pass. It could’ve been both where he tried to kick a goal but If it went off line Moore was there clearly able to get it.
You could just be wrong and leave it at that.

He's carving out a nice little niche for himself as a real utility. Can tag, play half back, can play wing, and i'm sure if they gave him a chance to play inside mid he'd show he's quite capable.
He's not an All Australian level player, but a good role player/squad member which every team needs. Glad we persisted with him.
Given his rate of improvement in less than a season, I'm not ruling anything out.

If he were to improve his kicking further for a year or two he'd be a B-grader even with where the other parts of his game are already. But they'll naturally improve as well.

Absolutely seems an outside chance, but then again it was an outside chance many toasting him here would have after his first stanza of games even this year.

Beast level hand balling while being tackled now. So confident about dishing off he's looking for options more than trying to break away.

Last edited:

I only saw it once at the game before the comment rewatching it makes it much more believable that it was a pass. It could’ve been both where he tried to kick a goal but If it went off line Moore was there clearly able to get it.
I'm fully confident that it was a pass. In the last few games, Finn has been used 1 kick out from goal on a number of occasions and his general decision is to send it to the top of the square - like he did here.

You won’t want to take a casual peep at any TAC /NAB footage of Devlin Brereton then. 😉
Or of his old man's kicking back in the day, I've seen some highlights. Helicopter central.

Or of his old man's kicking back in the day, I've seen some highlights. Helicopter central.

Crazy, he was regarded as a beautiful kick of the ball... a lot of those memories we have of the skillful players from that era are a little false or a tad too rosy.

The one that looks just as good if not better is Johnny Platten, played almost like a modern footballer.

Dermott could win the ball though, in the air or on the ground he was next level

You could just be wrong and leave it at that.
It’s fine I’m just going off what I saw, I can see it being a pass for sure, but I can see the other side as I did at the ground. Nonetheless it was smart because he got it to a good area and had taken the ground he was given which made it all happen.

Crazy, he was regarded as a beautiful kick of the ball... a lot of those memories we have of the skillful players from that era are a little false or a tad too rosy.

The one that looks just as good if not better is Johnny Platten, played almost like a modern footballer.

Dermott could win the ball though, in the air or on the ground he was next level

I should have said, I meant Maginness old man!

I agree though - football changes a lot over the eras. Better boots, better footballs that aren't absolutely sodden probably help too.

The results we are seeing with Finn just tells me that we need to give Mitchell and Downie more time - both had covid interrupted seasons and both have had injury issues.

There is talent to unlock there (speed, poise and some elite kicking) in both players.

I thought Downie looked as good as any of our recruits during the preseason of his rookie year. But definitely agree, the sample size at the highest level needs to be large enough to see if there's something there before they're shown the door.

Unless there's something terminal to their career shown at Box Hill of course.

But Downie looked the goods during that first preseason, when there was a bit of space to be had and players weren't all at full fitness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think with Finn a good comparison might be Josh Kennedy. Started " too slow... no skills, delist him!" and after 290 games hasn't that come back to bite us.

* yeah - that was really uplifting and motivating.

I;ll do some work now

I think with Finn a good comparison might be Josh Kennedy. Started " too slow... no skills, delist him!" and after 290 games hasn't that come back to bite us.
I see that written here about Kennedy but it’s just not the case. Kennedy was too good for VFL. Nobody wanted him delisted, he was just stuck behind a whole lot of star players and deprived of opportunity. He always looked too good for the lower level.

Better comparison for Maginness from Hawthorn perspective is Sewell who did look a battler at first, had questionable skills but an awesome work ethic, learnt to tag and then developed from there. If Maginness can become a Sewell-like player that would be an awesome outcome. A long way to go but he’s now proving himself an effective tagger and his rate of improvement is very encouraging

I thought Downie looked as good as any of our recruits during the preseason of his rookie year. But definitely agree, the sample size at the highest level needs to be large enough to see if there's something there before they're shown the door.

Unless there's something terminal to their career shown at Box Hill of course.

But Downie looked the goods during that first preseason, when there was a bit of space to be had and players weren't all at full fitness.

He looked good this preseason too, but again suffered an untimely injury.

* yeah - that was really uplifting and motivating.

I;ll do some work now
Have to admit, there was one skill that was better in the 80s and 90s - marking. Maybe not the volume but the spectacle, because the forward and defense weren't so flooded there were smaller packs and more 1:1 opportunities. Made for great watching. Some of those Dermie ones in that vid were chefs kiss.

Also, at 1:07 in that video... reckon there might have been a few Hawks blokes on some exogenous hormones in that era.

We could do with more Kid right now.
How bloody good was he?
The only low light was him getting owned by DRJ in '87
Would luv to see Mitch Lewis crash packs like Derm did.

I see that written here about Kennedy but it’s just not the case. Kennedy was too good for VFL. Nobody wanted him delisted, he was just stuck behind a whole lot of star players and deprived of opportunity. He always looked too good for the lower level.

Better comparison for Maginness from Hawthorn perspective is Sewell who did look a battler at first, had questionable skills but an awesome work ethic, learnt to tag and then developed from there. If Maginness can become a Sewell-like player that would be an awesome outcome. A long way to go but he’s now proving himself an effective tagger and his rate of improvement is very encouraging
Agree. Sewell also improved his kicking over time, and I can see Finn doing the same with his work ethic and drive to improve.

Think Finn has more weapons than Sewell ever had

If he gets Sewell's sidestep, ability to shrug a tackle, and evasion inside the contest he'll be a great.

The constituent parts of Brad Sewell's game didn't seem to add up to a whole lot when you looked at them in isolation - average pace, not super tall, kicking nothing special.

But he was a contested ball monster, key component of the HFC team during the 2008 premiership team era, almost right through till his final year after being involved again in 2013.

If he gets Sewell's sidestep, ability to shrug a tackle, and evasion inside the contest he'll be a great.

The constituent parts of Brad Sewell's game didn't seem to add up to a whole lot when you looked at them in isolation - average pace, not super tall, kicking nothing special.

But he was a contested ball monster, key component of the HFC team during the 2008 premiership team era, almost right through till his final year after being involved again in 2013.
If he could take one thing away from Sewell it’s the contested mindset where he would never let the other player give the ball back to the umpire, always had to win it even in a ball up, he was a beast in his prime

Remove this Banner Ad

Back