Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

No one will no the value of a great tagger more than Sam Mitchell who came up against Brett Kirk and Cameron Ling in their prime.

A gun tagger means that the good mids you have are more potent as the opposition's best has reduced output

Finn Maginnes is starting to come into his own in this role. He is definitely a part of our next flag.
Crowley also did big jobs on S Mitchell.

Crowley also did big jobs on S Mitchell.
Apparently Sam hates watching 08 because of the job Ling did on him. Ling in particular was an extraordinary footballer and was one of the reasons that team shone (should never be allowed near a microphone though - actually all taggers Ling, Kirk, Cornes these guys should be seen and not heard

Apparently Sam hates watching 08 because of the job Ling did on him. Ling in particular was an extraordinary footballer and was one of the reasons that team shone (should never be allowed near a microphone though - actually all taggers Ling, Kirk, Cornes these guys should be seen and not heard
Ling was a gun. He’d shut down the best, get more possessions than them and if they didn’t show him any respect he could kick a nice goal too.

He's carving out a nice little niche for himself as a real utility. Can tag, play half back, can play wing, and i'm sure if they gave him a chance to play inside mid he'd show he's quite capable.
He's not an All Australian level player, but a good role player/squad member which every team needs. Glad we persisted with him.

Kept Simpkin to 14 touches, he lowest tally in 2 years.
Perhaps even more significantly:

Simpkin's stat line for the season average:
1658716195560.png
Simpkin's stat line for last weekend:
1658716118952.png

81 Meters Gained from one of their main drivers (he was above LDU as their best performing mid before this week) is just crippling. He had literally no impact.

Kept Simpkin to 14 touches, he lowest tally in 2 years.

Also made him lose his head. Coughed up a few goals from frees and 50s.

With ball in hand Simpkin did zero damage. Something like 70 metres gained.

Our new versatile tagger. Depending on the oppositions best inform player can run fast with elite endurance to counter wingman types and has the size and strength for the inside brute types. Finns progression has been steady and promising. Interesting to know whether Mitch played him down back when coaching BH to develop his lockdown/blanketing skills with the vision of the role he may play in the future …….. to have more than one string to his bow?

Our young midfield group is getting a nice mix to it.

Our new versatile tagger. Depending on the oppositions best inform player can run fast with elite endurance to counter wingman types and has the size and strength for the inside brute types.
Good call, there are not that many multi-dimensional taggers that can assume pretty much any role on the day.

With more experience his composure and polish will hopefully improve and Finn can become even more damaging in his own right.

Just got to keep playing him as he continues to improve with more games. Don’t doubt the impact on players over the past few years who had few games at the lower level to develop. It hurt their progress. I think Finn is showing that with continuity comes progress. Probably a good reason to be cautious about delisting downie and others who haven’t had the continuity they need to improve like Finn has had this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard about Finn's 'burst' improvement...but only on the internet, that Instagram thing about his sprint training over summer

He has demonstrated elite endurance, and decent pace, but, so far at least, I haven't seen a single instance of him bursting away from a pack a la Judd in his prime.

Not at Box Hill, not in the ones...
Who has bursted away from the contest like Judd in his prime in the last 15 years though?

Petracca and Dusty burst away with power but not speed like Judd. Dangerfield maybe a little but what Judd did at West Coast hasn't really been done since. In the Crawford and Cousins used to be able to do too it in the 90s.

Mcguiness just isn't that good.

I hope I'm wrong, I prey to have egg on my face, but I haven't seen it yet and I don't think I will.

Some players are athletic beasts bit it still doesn't work. Really reminds me of O Rourke.
O'rourke didn't have the dedication and fitness of Finn. Way more skilled and better decision maker.

O'rourke got picked up with pick 2 as a result of going head up to head with O'meara and winning getting it inside and out.

He wasn't able to get stronger, faster or build afl endurance. He just kept getting injured. But had the skill.

O'rourke didn't have the dedication and fitness of Finn. Way more skilled and better decision maker.

O'rourke got picked up with pick 2 as a result of going head up to head with O'meara and winning getting it inside and out.

He wasn't able to get stronger, faster or build afl endurance. He just kept getting injured. But had the skill.
Seemed like an attitude thing. I heard he just never worked hard enough.

Finn has started to show some good grunt and power inside the contest. His improvement has been very impressive this year - every part of his game has arguably improved - defensive side, outside game, kicking and inside work. Far from the finished product but went from a guy who looked sub-afl standard at start of afl to one of our more promising prospects.

Finn has started to show some good grunt and power inside the contest. His improvement has been very impressive this year - every part of his game has arguably improved - defensive side, outside game, kicking and inside work. Far from the finished product but went from a guy who looked sub-afl standard at start of afl to one of our more promising prospects.

I don't think he was ever not AFL standard to the club mate. He was extended two years well before this form.

Mostly just a bunch of red faced posters that got it wrong.

Nash, Finn... hopefully Kosi is next.

His kick to set up Moore in the last I think was indicative of his improvement , form and confidence over the past month.

Wasn't 100% perfect but he weighed the option up and it was too advantage . Early season he probably blasts away for turnover and no result .

His kick to set up Moore in the last I think was indicative of his improvement , form and confidence over the past month.

Wasn't 100% perfect but he weighed the option up and it was too advantage . Early season he probably blasts away for turnover and no result .
Looked like he was having a shot at the ground but atleast it worked out?

I’ve watched it multiple times. Looked pretty clearly like he was putting it out in front of Moore, not having a shot.
I only saw it once at the game before the comment rewatching it makes it much more believable that it was a pass. It could’ve been both where he tried to kick a goal but If it went off line Moore was there clearly able to get it.

T
I’ve watched it multiple times. Looked pretty clearly like he was putting it out in front of Moore, not having a shot.
To become a good player he needs to continue this trend. Happy he is an athletic beast. Just continue on this disposal path. Progressive improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back