Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Frwd pocket first 10 games and then a rest for a few weeks , then 40% mid 60% frwd the last 6-8 games of the year. Ready to go full time 2021!

Frwd pocket first 10 games and then a rest for a few weeks , then 40% mid 60% frwd the last 6-8 games of the year. Ready to go full time 2021!
If he hasn't won the Rising Star, Brownlow, Norm Smith and Coleman medals by 3 quarter time of our second pre-season match next year it will be a failure.

If he hasn't won the Rising Star, Brownlow, Norm Smith and Coleman medals by 3 quarter time of our second pre-season match next year it will be a failure.

* I love some of the comments in the offseason. Everyone seems to hit that extra 5% of sarcasm to get us through to the season proper 🤣

I’d like to see Maginness start Round 1 and be that rotating midfielder coming off the bench. With Mitchell back and likely to get all the attention and even Worpel will start getting tagged now I see no harm in giving Maginness some games early in the season.

I’d like to see Maginness start Round 1 and be that rotating midfielder coming off the bench. With Mitchell back and likely to get all the attention and even Worpel will start getting tagged now I see no harm in giving Maginness some games early in the season.

2 things that I think that you need to consider:

1) Mitchell is going to need some time to ease himself back into the thick of things
2) Maginness is only a rookie and will also need to be eased into things

The combination of those 2 things just might mean that we'd be placing undue pressure on both players. In a perfect world I hope your right and both can achieve that come round 1 but you'd assume we'll get a better grasp of things after the preseason games. That is assuming Tom plays in any of them.

I kind of don't want to see that. I'd like to see Cousins/Howe/Morrison having made such a leap over the off-season that they are a long way ahead of Finn and demand inclusion.

But it's not a bad alterantive if none of them have!

I think perhaps we need to temper our expectations with Finn. He undoubtably looks the goods but talk of playing Round 1 seems a reach.

I agree. It will take time to understand the Hawks game style.
Even guys like Chad can't walk in on Day #1 and expect to know it all.
A few months in Box Hill will do him the world of good.

TOM, JOM, Worps, Chad will carry the load for a while.

I think perhaps we need to temper our expectations with Finn. He undoubtably looks the goods but talk of playing Round 1 seems a reach.
I agree that we need to make sure we don't put too much pressure on him but i think we also need to not go too far that other way. I keep hearing about the Clarko apprenticeship in the VFL but we have seen exceptions. Clarko has not rules or limitations for rookies, if you are ready you will play.

Lot of 18 year olds play fair amount of footy in their first year. Top rated kids are there to play senior footy, Finn is no different. Nobody’s asking him to play midfield straight up, play frwd and gradually move up the ground. If he’s good enough he’ll play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I kind of don't want to see that. I'd like to see Cousins/Howe/Morrison having made such a leap over the off-season that they are a long way ahead of Finn and demand inclusion.

But it's not a bad alterantive if none of them have!
Exactly. We need this depth and we need them to be in best 22 consideration week in, week out.

Lot of 18 year olds play fair amount of footy in their first year. Top rated kids are there to play senior footy, Finn is no different. Nobody’s asking him to play midfield straight up, play frwd and gradually move up the ground. If he’s good enough he’ll play.
Would he be capable of playing forward? I would rather him ply his trade at Box Hill playing as an inside midfielder, than struggling as a forward pocket at AFL level.

Would he be capable of playing forward? I would rather him ply his trade at Box Hill playing as an inside midfielder, than struggling as a forward pocket at AFL level.

He's very capable forward. Quick off the mark, good overhead and can find the goals.

I tend to agree.

A few tasters towards the back end of the season seems a better bet...but who knows?

Surely he starts the year behind a few other mids.....Cousins, Howe, Jones. They'd get a chance before him.

Although I wouldn't be unhappy to see him play ahead of them
I think it will all depend on the promise shown in the JLT. Whoever shows the selection committee they can help us win come round 1 will go right to the front of the queue IMHO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back