Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Did it a few times where he marked it over head and rode the contact from the defender, landed and immediately turned and went forward or fired out a handball to a teammate out in front. Created so much quick ball movement that led to scores.

That's the kind of thing that is setting him apart from the others in Rising Star contention. He tries to impact with every possession. Always trying to turn every opportunity into a scoring opportunity for the team. If he has to kick a sideways ball to a teammate he's straight away running to make space and setting up to be part of the next chain.
He plays with an aggressive mindset combined with an attack focused vision. He has pace. He has strength. He has skill. He makes things happen. A playmaker that can defend like he does is like gold.

Did it a few times where he marked it over head and rode the contact from the defender, landed and immediately turned and went forward or fired out a handball to a teammate out in front. Created so much quick ball movement that led to scores.
That's one thing I've noticed, his willingness to take the game on every possession. Grabs a contested mark, wheels around a kicks before his defender knows what's going on.

To mine it just shows local clubs are still full of club politics and other issues.

Combine that with being a late bloomer and here we are. I reckon kids that develop late are the hardest to draft

It’s sad tbh I totally agree re politics. My junior days finished a good 9 yrs ago but even then we were having players plucked out of our team purely on athetic ability/blokes who’s fathers were among TAC cup/AFL circles

David King praised Newcombe’s “perfect game” against the Lions and the way Hawthorn have handled the bullocking midfielder.

“He’s a different player, isn’t he?” King told SEN’s Whateley.

“The Rising Star discussion’s a good one, but let’s talk about the players that are 20 and under – he’s the number one rated player in the AFL that’s 20 and under.

“On the weekend he has 27 disposals, nine clearances, 14 contested possessions and was the leading impact player on the ground with 12 score involvements – that’s the perfect game.

“I’m really thrilled with what they’ve done with him and how they’ve handled him because Rounds 1 to 4 he was 50 per cent half-forward, 50 per cent midfield, since then he’s become a 100 per cent pure midfielder.

“These rebuilds are full club things, so big tick to the Hawks both on and off the field.”

Newcombe is contracted to Hawthorn until the end of 2023.

He’s averaging 22.5 disposals and 3.7 clearances per game this year.

It’s sad tbh I totally agree re politics. My junior days finished a good 9 yrs ago but even then we were having players plucked out of our team purely on athetic ability/blokes who’s fathers were among TAC cup/AFL circles
Part and parcel of local footy really, can’t see it ever changing

David King praised Newcombe’s “perfect game” against the Lions and the way Hawthorn have handled the bullocking midfielder.

“He’s a different player, isn’t he?” King told SEN’s Whateley.

“The Rising Star discussion’s a good one, but let’s talk about the players that are 20 and under – he’s the number one rated player in the AFL that’s 20 and under.

“On the weekend he has 27 disposals, nine clearances, 14 contested possessions and was the leading impact player on the ground with 12 score involvements – that’s the perfect game.

“I’m really thrilled with what they’ve done with him and how they’ve handled him because Rounds 1 to 4 he was 50 per cent half-forward, 50 per cent midfield, since then he’s become a 100 per cent pure midfielder.

“These rebuilds are full club things, so big tick to the Hawks both on and off the field.”

Newcombe is contracted to Hawthorn until the end of 2023.

He’s averaging 22.5 disposals and 3.7 clearances per game this year.

Media hyperbole is amusing. It' was a well rounded game similar to maybe a triple double in basketball.

Last edited:
One of the things really impressing me about Duke's last few games, is just how strong he is overhead.

It's a really handy facet to a midfielder's game to be able to mark strongly.

As well as knowing where the goals are.

Loving his work! Maximum Poowong!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the things really impressing me about Duke's last few games, is just how strong he is overhead.

It's a really handy facet to a midfielder's game to be able to mark strongly.

As well as knowing where the goals are.

Loving his work! Maximum Poowong!
I vote we make Maximum Poowong his new official nickname :grinning:

Equal fav for the rising star now, what a rapid rise for this young man.

According to 7AFL's twitter it's between Newcombe, Rachele and Daicos.

I prefer Newcombe of course I'm biased but perhaps the facts support him as well.

Looking at his stats, he averages a goal assist a game this year which is really good, especially for a midfielder.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back