Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I was disappointed at not picking Garner but looking at it logically, we're much more in need of an inside mid than a half back.
Very true I'm not unhappy with this kid we do need more brutes.
But we were in need of outside run the yr we picked Billy hartung over zach merret. Always pick the best player for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very true I'm not unhappy with this kid we do need more brutes.
But we were in need of outside run the yr we picked Billy hartung over zach merret. Always pick the best player for mine.
I think we have picked the best available. While looking at the draftee noms videos a few months ago, Worpels stuck out for mine. I hope he gets a chance to run in the midfield next season to keep that youthful hunger burning hard. Gotta luv his attack and then repeat attacks and as for his perceived poor DE, its not technique. His clanger and turnover stats might be worth a look at.

I love this selection and I'm sure Tom Mitchell (needs help) and O'Meara (will be released) do as well. If you watch his kicking it is good around the corner and his occasional shank happens front on... which is easily fixed. What he needs to do is to handball more often, which he will do with AFL players around him. Worpel will be in our next premiership team.

James WORPEL
(info from AFL draft central)
Inside Midfielder (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
24/01/1999 | 185.1cm | 85.5kg
Scouting notes: Cracks in hard winning the ball in the contest and is one of the best clearance players in the 2017 draft pool. Question marks are on his kicking, where at times he will just bomb it out of the packs but he did show in the National Under 18 Championships that he was able to stop and find a target without rushing. Tackles well but has areas to address to be a top 30 selection.
Strengths: Inside game, tackling, leadership, scoreboard impact
Improvements: Kicking, agility

Combine test results: 20m Sprint (secs) 3.08 | Agility (secs) 8.89 | Yo-Yo Test (level) 20.8

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back