Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazingly the biggest challenge he probably faces right now is just maintaining all the hard work and focus that got him here in the first place. I say this is a challenge because he is getting hyped up by the media and footy community something massive.

I'm not at all saying the hype isn't warranted, as he is very much walking the walk while letting everyone else do all the talking. He just needs to continue to keep himself grounded and focused on what his coaches and teammates are saying and not let himself get caught up in the external hype train.

No doubt Sam Mitchell is helping him out with that. I remember in an interview he had once later in his career that he said (paraphrasing) that he's continually looking for ways to improve his game, and that if he ever thought he no longer had room for improvement that he'd retire as he'd have obviously lost the mental drive.

If Worpel can take that mindset on himself then there's really no limit to how good he could become.

Just needs to keep the same intensity as last week, and his teammates will benefit from it.

Only 12 games in, but he looks like he is really finding his feet.

Hopefully the young fella has a level head doesn’t buy in to his own hype. If he has, there’s no reason he won’t become an elite midfielder in the coming year or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to settle with the speed of the game. Has more time than he thinks more often than not, but rushes his kicks and turns the ball over.Plenty to like about the kid only a dozen games in.

That will come, I think he's just such a high intensity unit that it's agains the grain for him to slow down much.

But damn, he's not even in the system three years, and it's looking bloody promising. For someone who wasn't supposed to have a tank, he's come a very long way quickly.

Great game again from Worps!

One small thing I noticed was his presence of mind to check his surroundings while a kick directed to him was mid flight so he knew his next move prior to taking the mark. Pretty sure it was in the last quarter. Little things like that give me great confidence he'll be more than just a good player. It's bloody hard to teach.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Great game again from Worps!

One small thing I noticed was his presence of mind to check his surroundings while a kick directed to him was mid flight so he knew his next move prior to taking the mark. Pretty sure it was in the last quarter. Little things like that give me great confidence he'll be more than just a good player. It's bloody hard to teach.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
What I liked is that after he finished looking at what options were available he turned his focus back to making sure he marked the ball correctly. So many players who look ahead end up spending it before they earn it.

Considering the young bloke is heading into most games as our second best pure midfielder, he's handling the pressure admirably. Hopefully he can continue with this level of output for the duration of the season.

Thought he spoiled team mates a few times with his ferocious exuberance and a few times he probably could have positioned himself to tackle instead of going for the ball and letting his opponent win it and get clear. But you got to love this kid and what he is doing with so little experience. Gun and will only get better. :)

Thought he spoiled team mates a few times with his ferocious exuberance and a few times he probably could have positioned himself to tackle instead of going for the ball and letting his opponent win it and get clear. But you got to love this kid and what he is doing with so little experience. Gun and will only get better. :)
I note the spoiling too, and I also was a little disappointed in his performance in the first half of the first quarter. Think he hadn't had a touch till quite a while after the start. However, it's no surprise that once he got going, so did the Hawks. Awesome player fullstop. Also exceptionnaly exciting for someone so young.

Amazing what he has done in only his 2nd second season.

In some nice company with the league leaders for centre clearances:

View attachment 650733

Great work by him. Wondering whether perhaps it’s also a factor that of the % of Centre bounces he’s in. We don’t have too many other options!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back