Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Was so wrong about him being up to the midfield bash and crash, he's looked tired at times, but so has every mid in the team.

There's still so much polish being shown by him and McDonald, won that one on one vs. Heeny that cost him a free kick and us a goal too.

Can't wait to see this year's draftees in a year or two. We smashed those picks out of the park - same with DGB, who is building nicely in the back half as well.

Generally makes the right decisions and has great skills. I think what's holding him back from a breakout game is that he's over thinking at times. Or perhaps taking a fraction too long to make his decision.

I'm of the belief that players don't always need to play games in the senior side to develop. But in this instance I don't think there's any benefit to him playing at VFL level outside of a boost of confidence from the 30-40 touches he'll get there. Main thing he needs to work on is continuing to make the right decisions under the fast paced AFL match conditions, but executing on them before the opposition can shut him down.

Tbh I think concussion is the worst outcome- for a first year player I think I'd rather a broken bone.

Concussions have the potential to impact a players mentality and psyche long term and can seriously change how a player relates to the game. Hopefully it's a minor concussion and no broken bones though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any updates on young Josh? Noticed this week he’s not named in seniors or reserves.
I would’ve thought they might hold him out until after the bye. Outside of the concussion which is never good it’s not such a bad thing he gets a mini break so he can goo all out in the second half of the season.

He's an elite talent that we will be banking on for years to come. Playing it safe is the best move at this point.

I see a good young talent, I'm not sure I see future one of the top midfielders in the league type talent though. More of a very consistent accumulator is what I'm thinking.

You can gauge that from a month of footy? Sure

I'm more looking at attributes one presents, isn't a booming kick, isn't explosive and doesn't look like he'll be a hybrid multi purpose flexible operator to be considered an elite talent.

Does look sound with what he does though, good engine, neat and tidy and I think he'll be a very sound player for this club for a long period of time. Just not expecting him to be one of the stars of the competition.

I hope in 5 years time I look back and I'm wrong and Ward is one of the elite mids in the comp.

I'm more looking at attributes one presents, isn't a booming kick, isn't explosive and doesn't look like he'll be a hybrid multi purpose flexible operator to be considered an elite talent.

Does look sound with what he does though, good engine, neat and tidy and I think he'll be a very sound player for this club for a long period of time. Just not expecting him to be one of the stars of the competition.

I hope in 5 years time I look back and I'm wrong and Ward is one of the elite mids in the comp.

i thought Sam walsh looked fairly vanilla early on... plenty of egg on my face.

i thought Sam walsh looked fairly vanilla early on... plenty of egg on my face.

Walsh was finding it 25 times a game from year 1, which is seriously ******* impressive. Think Ward is about 15 times a game.

I know what you mean though about Walsh looking more like an accumulator.

Walsh was finding it 25 times a game from year 1, which is seriously ******* impressive. Think Ward is about 15 times a game.

I know what you mean though about Walsh looking more like an accumulator.
Honestly when most of our midfield struggle to get over twenty possessions a game on a weekly basis (Mitchell excluded of course) I'd take a vanilla accumulator who could average 25 possessions a game any day of the week. Because at least when they have the ball the other side doesn't.

Of course if you can get a midfielder who can average 25 possessions and be damaging with them/run and carry/go forward and kick goals that would be even better (Newk is our great hope in this regard).

I watched the Hawks v Blues game last year and Walsh cut us to shreds that day. He is much more than an accumulator, just a class player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back