Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Karl Amon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just been looking at the Port thread after their loss to the Giants last night.

Obviously emotions are running high atm.

Interesting though how many are commenting wistfully on how much they miss Amon’s class on the wing.

Incidentally, not a lot of love for Ryan Burton over there right now.

Does anyone else see the difference between paying Amon $550 to $600 a year for 4 years as opposed to McKay $800k for 5 years?

One deal (Amon's) was a fair market price for a proven, resilient, reliable talent whereas the other is crazy money for a basically unproven player who struggles to get onto the field.

I understand McKay is a KPD which is a big positional need for many clubs right now but I just cant help but feel whichever club pulls the trigger on that deal will regret it in the long run.

Does anyone else see the difference between paying Amon $550 to $600 a year for 4 years as opposed to McKay $800k for 5 years?

One deal (Amon's) was a fair market price for a proven, resilient, reliable talent whereas the other is crazy money for a basically unproven player who struggles to get onto the field.

I understand McKay is a KPD which is a big positional need for many clubs right now but I just cant help but feel whichever club pulls the trigger on that deal will regret it in the long run.
its just like any financial market mate it's dictated by supply and demand. i mean u cant tell me that a certain brand of Nike Air Maxes are "real-value" worth $200 more than my dope-ass ASICs, but according to the market they are. tesla was somehow trading over $1k in 2021 while companies that actually do something got pummelled.

same principles apply here. there arent many KPD on the market and loads of teams want one = inflated salary. this may cycle in a few years and KPDs become less important because of some weird meta where the objectively best defense comprises 6 Blake Hardwicks but until then KPDs are gonna be expensive. just look at the contract Esava is getting

Interested in seeing Amon's role in the side next year. I would like to see him split his time between wing and HFF. We could really use his class and great kicking skills as a link between our midfield and our forward line.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bit of conjecture about Karl and whether he’s being played in the right position. His last half was huge on Sunday. Apparently, he had 781m gained in the second half, the most ever recorded in a half of footy.

Most of those touches were further afield too. We need him running free on a wing, not having to worry about an opponent closer to goal.

All 19 possessions were kicks so not out of the realms of possibility.

Edit: they weren't all kicks but there were a lot of long kicks from D50 to the wing or handball receives around the D50 then 10m gained before a 50m pass to the wing or even further towards the F50.

I can see why Sam has him at HBF and thant 2nd half is the blueprint for how he can/should play

Last edited:
Amon has 19 kicks and breaks a record for metres gained in a half from the back flank, everyone instantly demands he moves to the wing.. what?

All except 4 of his kicks were between the arcs, it’s not like he’s trapped in the back pocket bombing down the line.

He’s the reason we’ve been so good at moving the footy from the backline to forward line, something we’re top 4 in, he’s staying there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amon has 19 kicks and breaks a record for metres gained in a half from the back flank, everyone instantly demands he moves to the wing.. what?

All except 4 of his kicks were between the arcs, it’s not like he’s trapped in the back pocket bombing down the line.

He’s the reason we’ve been so good at moving the footy from the backline to forward line, something we’re top 4 in, he’s staying there.
Traditional positions are pretty much nominal in modern footy. If it wasn't for the 6-6-6 rule we'd have probably moved on from naming teams in that way.

People want him moved back onto a wing because he is routinely exposed defensively, and is clearly an elite wingman.

It's not a coincidence that he was playing his best football and was more damaging when his touches were further afield.

If anyone should be able to free-wheel up and down an entire side of the field it's him.

Do those kicks include kick ins? If so, figures are very misleading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back