Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ned Long Pick 5, 2021 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

v Crows
10 disp
6 tackles
70% DE
4 SI

Wasn't always used as a first option but tried his heart out & tackled effectively - good traits to have
Wish it was recorded as a stat type but he has an uncanny nack of always being on the bottom with the ball or closest to, would be interested seeing if he has a net positive on stoppages around the ground.

So Excited Flirting GIF

One of the best VFL performances you will see. Essendon's VFL side made him look like prime Patrick Cripps. He used his bigger frame to his advantage today, and it worked a treat. He was very graceful with the ball in hand and dominated in the middle. His ability to play as a forward will be a big asset for us in the future and will help him find a spot in the long term. It was easily his best performance to date, and as I said, one of the best performances you will see in the VFL. He's going to be pushing very, very hard at the selection panel. I hope he can string together a run of games in the second half of the year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CHF.
Not ideal, but can't see any other way.
I'm not against it - he's got good size for smashing packs, and good tank for finding space (making a defender accountable); really hope he can get another crack in the firsts or we may just lose him to other clubs sniffing around for big bodied mids.

I'm not against it - he's got good size for smashing packs, and good tank for finding space (making a defender accountable); really hope he can get another crack in the firsts or we may just lose him to other clubs sniffing around for big bodied mids.

Sydney will be all over him.... again....perfect replacement for Kennedy ironically

You know you're building something when you have players you want to see come into the team, but there is no one you want to see go out.

It's not based on some nostalgic want to have them in the team or just us liking individual players either, they're all talented enough to take a spot.

It's going to come down to who looks most likely to make it to another level or three and make the team better.

VFL player by player RD10: Each AFL-listed Hawk in review​

Ned Long (3 goals, 38 disposals, 12 clearances, 12 tackles, 5 marks)

“It was an exceptional day for Longy. He had a really nice balance of contested and uncontested footy. More importantly, he had some really good moments where he was able to work for his teammates and he got rewarded off the back of that.”

VFL player by player RD10: Each AFL-listed Hawk in review​

Ned Long (3 goals, 38 disposals, 12 clearances, 12 tackles, 5 marks)

“It was an exceptional day for Longy. He had a really nice balance of contested and uncontested footy. More importantly, he had some really good moments where he was able to work for his teammates and he got rewarded off the back of that.”

Not so much kicking the door down, as putting his foot through it.

Unfortunate timing from Ned to be performing out of his skin at the same time we've won back to back games.
Yes and no, I think it's great to have blokes like Ned and Hust putting pressure on those in the side! Stephens too, looked to have a good game with 20 touches and 2 goals. This kind of competition for spots is exactly what we want as a young developing side.

But unfortunate for Ned personally, I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back