Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ned Long Pick 5, 2021 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

My take on the "plodder" reference was that because he's not particularly quick. He's a big boy without that yard of pace.

I didn't take it as RR cracking that Long is no good, but its just a guess
Yes Mr P he has really good endurance - he can plod all day - but as someone who watches Box Hill nearly every week, it was evident that his speed is an area for improvement. I am certain this was one of the main queries on him in his draft profiles as well as him missing signif time with injury in his draft year. I can't say I have ever heard him being referred to as 'dynamic' like a certain poster above. That is new ground indeed.

In saying that I haven't yet watched the BH v Syd replay and we only saw Ned for a bit in the Geelol praccy match so if he has improved his speed then that is pleasing. My initial thoughts on him are that he does find the ball naturally as a high half forward and has a strong body so there might be a role for him in the current side as someone who can read the pill and control a contest even if he doesn't win it. With Worpel back in form, Morrison likely to come back in along with Wingard and Nash showing his worth last week (in my view appreciate others have a diff view) I can't see him coming in.

I would love him to make it as his size is a real point of difference and we need an enforcer in the Gary Ayres mould who can be physical.

What's his defensive game like?
Depends, when he's close to someone he's a very good and willing tackler but to be a genuinely elite defensive player he would need more pace. If someone gets distance from him he's not making it back.

Yes Mr P he has really good endurance - he can plod all day - but as someone who watches Box Hill nearly every week, it was evident that his speed is an area for improvement. I am certain this was one of the main queries on him in his draft profiles as well as him missing signif time with injury in his draft year. I can't say I have ever heard him being referred to as 'dynamic' like a certain poster above. That is new ground indeed.

In saying that I haven't yet watched the BH v Syd replay and we only saw Ned for a bit in the Geelol praccy match so if he has improved his speed then that is pleasing. My initial thoughts on him are that he does find the ball naturally as a high half forward and has a strong body so there might be a role for him in the current side as someone who can read the pill and control a contest even if he doesn't win it. With Worpel back in form, Morrison likely to come back in along with Wingard and Nash showing his worth last week (in my view appreciate others have a diff view) I can't see him coming in.

I would love him to make it as his size is a real point of difference and we need an enforcer in the Gary Ayres mould who can be physical.
Watch the Box Hill vs Sydney game. I know it’s only a small sample size, but he seems to have dramatically improved.

Long was picked up as a rookie pick and tbh i think he has significantly improved his ability over the past year and a half since being drafted.

If he continues to make progress - he will demand a spot in the side soon enough.

He's a plodder. If we bring him in to play high HF I've no issue as he has shown he can connect with the mids in this role. But as a pure mid who does he push out?
I'd try him at CHF as well as HFF (not at the same time, of course!).

I think his future is across HF, if he is to make it.

As Mitchell said in the post match and reiterated on footy classified, our midfield is not the issue. They are winning the ball in the contest but there's just no connection going forward. Long may have to continue to work at BH unless we see him providing a forward option with midfield time or if we have an injury or another mid not playing their role.

With that being said, would love to see him be rewarded for his game.

Cripps 195cm/93kg, Long 194cm/92kg a really good comparison for the young man to model his game on. Ned has a massive tank ………. can his heart and putting the body on the line be as good? He has a heart you can see it in his face when running/chasing but maybe needs to address the physicality area of his game if he really wants it. He’s still a kid I know but hopefully he can use his valuable traits properly!

As Mitchell said in the post match and reiterated on footy classified, our midfield is not the issue. They are winning the ball in the contest but there's just no connection going forward. Long may have to continue to work at BH unless we see him providing a forward option with midfield time or if we have an injury or another mid not playing their role.

With that being said, would love to see him be rewarded for his game.
Think our midfield still has issues, despite winning clearances and getting close on contested possessions.

I want our mids to start winning more ball in the front half, and not behind the play.
I want them to put more pressure on oppo when we don't have the ball. We get carved up too easily.

I don't think Long fixes these issues though

Strikes me a s a Nick Holland Type but a better kick from my time watching him at Box Hill: Super Competive. This is the Next ChHorward for me. Kicks them from outside 50: One grab mark: Consistent triple trier in battle/ Multiple efforts: Dont see this in Kosi . He with Jeka is an option worth exploring If JEKA can get on the park: He can play and has polished skills: Needs to play with a bit more attitude: Body them first before they body you: Good enough for Hodge Carey etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think our midfield still has issues, despite winning clearances and getting close on contested possessions.

I want our mids to start winning more ball in the front half, and not behind the play.
I want them to put more pressure on oppo when we don't have the ball. We get carved up too easily.

I don't think Long fixes these issues though
I don't disagree with you but I think the club will want to address the midfield-forward cohesion before they start making changes in the midfield.

I think Long is basically competing with Finn for a role at the moment, most comparable mid in my eyes.

Long's 2k time trial time in his draft year (which was cruelled by injury) was 6:08, which is serious running for any player, let alone one of Long's size and strength. You could maybe describe high 6 minutes for 2k as plodding. Our game style leaves us vulnerable to counter-attack, and we need multiple players that can track back in defence repeatedly for four quarters, to minimise getting opened up in transition. Long also offers an aerial threat - I recall a great contested mark in his debut game against the Bulldogs, and he did some other really good things in that game. Would love to see him matched up on some big opposing mids - Cripps, Wines, Kennedy.

Watch the Box Hill vs Sydney game. I know it’s only a small sample size, but he seems to have dramatically improved.
Long was the most exciting player from the game for me personally. Very impressed and if Ned continues on this trajectory then a spot in the ones will open up.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could he become our own version of Bontempelli or is he completely different in the way he plays or is more like Dunkley.

Said when we picked him up it won’t be long until he plays with ward, they were both going to make sure of it. Reckon he will become a really versatile player, kicking has been above expected to.

With that growth in his body and game, I can see him being a natural resting forward

More of a Cripps/Mundy
Not Mundy.

Mundy is a classy and very good user of the ball, "Mundy/Pendles comparable"

Cripps is it for me, purely body shape wise, although he's a gut runner and hard worker, not sure if he has the explosive pace and agility that Cripps does, seen it at training but that's not enough, obviously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back