Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ned Long Pick 5, 2021 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he was solid yesterday. Had a bigger impact that his stats suggested. Happy with his development.

I was nervous for his list spot next year, but that was a massive step in the right direction.
Was thinking this during the game, had plenty of moments in close using his body where he helped us win the ball without actually getting a stat

Was thinking this during the game, had plenty of moments in close using his body where he helped us win the ball without actually getting a stat

Showed again yesterday that he he has the ability to hit the scoreboard and play as another forward. Gives him a massive advantage when competing for a midfield spot in the future. Kid is an absolute beast

Showed again yesterday that he he has the ability to hit the scoreboard and play as another forward. Gives him a massive advantage when competing for a midfield spot in the future. Kid is an absolute beast
And allows Newk and Worpel to spend more time where they do their best work. I thought he started to work out his role late in the game as a tall target that prevents opposition intercepts.

Was 5th in the team for pressure acts and 3rd for tackles from 75% TOG.

I think we should trial him as an Aaron Hamill type of player - a strong and powerful forward who applies lots of pressure and tackles, whilst also being able to impact directly on the scoreboard.

He has the size and height to play the role, and he sure as hell has the determination and aggression. This will also allow Duke to spend more time in the midfield.

He can then provide some spurts in the middle as well if/when required.

Either way, I think he has a lot of potential - and would love to see him get a few consecutive games under his belt to see what he can deliver.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
I think we should trial him as an Aaron Hamill type of player - a strong and powerful forward who will applies lots of pressure and tackles, whilst also being able to impact directly on the scoreboard.

100% this.

What's considered slightly slow for a midfielder is suddenly pretty quick if you're KPF (3rd Tall Forward) size.

Last edited:
I think we should trial him as an Aaron Hamill type of player - a strong and powerful forward who applies lots of pressure and tackles, whilst also being able to impact directly on the scoreboard.

He has the size and height to play the role, and he sure as hell has the determination and aggression. This will also allow Duke to spend more time in the midfield.

He can then provide some spurts in the middle as well if/when required.

Either way, I think he has a lot of potential - and would love to see him get a few consecutive games under his belt to see what he can deliver.

Love it. That Hamill role was rolled gold for the Saints in those days. Every coach wants a fwd like that.

Strikes me a s a Nick Holland Type but a better kick from my time watching him at Box Hill: Super Competive. This is the Next ChHorward for me. Kicks them from outside 50: One grab mark: Consistent triple trier in battle/ Multiple efforts: Dont see this in Kosi . He with Jeka is an option worth exploring If JEKA can get on the park: He can play and has polished skills: Needs to play with a bit more attitude: Body them first before they body you: Good enough for Hodge Carey etc
Think you are underselling Dutchie. Was an absolute star fo us and South Australia. Once of the best marks of the 1990s. Ned reminds me more of how Gary Ayres used to use his whole body when contesting the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want a comparison, Jarrod Berry from Brisbane comes to mind. Big, powerful young man who isn't necessarily the quickest or most agile, but is strong, works super hard and has days where he just finds the footy.

We'll be laughing if Ned can become a player who can contribute to his side like Berry does. Not a star, but an important part of a premiership contender.

Thought he was solid yesterday. Had a bigger impact that his stats suggested. Happy with his development.

I was nervous for his list spot next year, but that was a massive step in the right direction.
I like Ned, just watched the third quarter again , he was in everything and everywhere. Like you said won’t show up on a stats sheet but unfaultable effort. Plus he hits hard, we need a forward enforcer.

Long always gives effort.

I’m not sure he has any ourstanding traits to make it at AFL level though.

At the end of the last year, I was left wondering whether he could really improve much. From what I have seen, he has. He looked a much more composed and confident player when I saw him playing last Monday in the VFL, and he looked a better player yesterday compared to his debut. What he does forward of centre provides us with flexibility that we haven't had in a while. His Cripps-esque endurance was certainly noticeable, and his build should allow him to be competitive in marking contests around the ground and up forward, as well as being competitive at stoppages. I can't really think of a player to compare him to. However, I can certainly see why some people here have compared him to Aaron Hamill.

Long always gives effort.

I’m not sure he has any ourstanding traits to make it at AFL level though.
great size and a really good runner. I think he's got a chance, but it would be as a mid who can go forward and use that size and running power to take some marks and kick goals. Not sure his forward craft or marking is good enough, yet. But I can see a path

Long's endurance is elite, not just elite for a player of his size. Elite endurance combined with size, versatility, tackling intensity and good skills could be super-valuable (and from the rookie draft).
No doubt he’s got a good tank, but he’s not great by foot(although improved) and isn’t particularly agile or nimble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back