Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle - Round 10, Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's a Blicavs-type athlete Davo... do you think there's the genuine chance that he becomes a mid?

Mindful that I saw somewhere about him playing mid as a junior...?
He could, he runs all day, but it's his defensive work that impresses the most imo.

Is he an afl ready-made type or a bit of a prospect?
Would be ready to go as a back pocket if Hardwick or Morris go down early. As a midfielder though, he could take a while to build his tank and refine his contested disposal. I've been very high on the kid, just never thought we'd be in the range or pick him up as a back man.

What you like about Gruzewski, Weddle is more polished, faster, stronger, and he can run as a mid. Might be a sneak shout as a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

chopflop was high on him in the phantom. Super competitive.
Here is the phantom write up
At pick 11 in the 2022 AFL draft, the Carlton Football Club selects Josh Weddle from the Oakleigh Football Club/Carey Grammar.

AFL - News, Fixtures, Scores & Results - AFL.com.au

Size, height, is he 200cm? How will he handle Ben King? Isn't he a third tall? He isn't a number 1 key defender.

We have heard it countless times; the draft prospect that falls down the pecking order because of question marks over their size/position at AFL level.

Weddle is 192cm.
Darren Glass 192cm.
Matthew Scarlett 194cm.
Alex rance 194cm.
James Sicily 189cm.
Steven May 193cm.

It is an absolute myth that you can't be a Key position defender and low 190s. Helping weddle's case is his insane athleticism.
  • a 90cm running vertical helps him defend the high ball and intercept (=2nd)
  • 2.93 in the 20m sprint to help keep with nippy forwards on the lead.
  • insane running power with a 6:05 2km time trial - good enough for 4th best overall.

But we all know that athletic chops mean nothing if you can't 'football' and Weddle can football. He has sure hands, his disposal is neat (can be erratic in decision making at times - think Sam frost - not the bachelorette) and most importantly for a defender - HE DEFENDS! He is excellent one-on-one, he has great strength and power, he can intercept well and he can play small and tall!

My floor comparison is Nathan Broad and my ceiling is a Sam frost (not the bachelorette) and Alex rance love child.

Another positive is that Weddle is a late bolter showing rapid improvement over the past 12 months which can suggest high upside.

For Carlton, this selection provides the perfect long term partner for weitering who can take the taller gorilla forwards, leaving Weddle to match up on dangerous smalls and talls. I can envision him marking Charlie Curnow one week and Toby Greene the next. He also providea Carlton with some extra pop and rebound of half back with his Sam frost tendencies.

A high upside selection who I am confident, in time, will be one of the best handful of players from this draft.

I tried to trade down to improve my picks and still select Weddle because I didn't believe anyone would be keen on him in the first round. In the end with no trade I am still happy taking Weddle at selection 11.

In the link below there are some brief highlights of some of his work.

AFL - News, Fixtures, Scores & Results - AFL.com.au

Interesting pick.

Seems a very good prospect but how will we fit him into our already overflowing back 6?

Are Scrimshaw and CJ being moved up the ground next year?

What does this say about the clubs faith in DGBs ability to make it?

Or does Sam think he can make the kid into an oversized midfielder?

Josh Weddle is the next-generation Isaac Smith.

Watch his highlights.

Interesting pick.

Seems a very good prospect but how will we fit him into our already overflowing back 6?

I would read in to it that we rate Josh very highly over anything else, we are still in the get in as much talent as possible part of the rebuild. Says more about him then it does about the current players on our list.

Last edited:
Interesting pick.

Simple. we play him as a key forward.

You wanted big plays, here they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back