Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Sam Frost. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a feeling frost would leave the moment steve may started ragging on him during the middle of a game for all to see. Can you imagine a new recruit on big coin (who'd turned up in ordinary condition to pre season) having the cheek to berate a senior teammate at the hawks?
They'd be out the door faster than you can say "box hill development side".

Do you think he's a top 10 KPD from what you've seen of him?

My point was that based on output over the last year or two, there are no better options for a KPD that we could have got. In a sense he was 'best available'. On my opinion, I think that there are a few stand out KPDs who are miles better than anyone else. These guys are gold but we don't have access to them. Then there's about 10 players who are solid without being great. Frost fits firmly into that.

My point was that based on output over the last year or two, there are no better options for a KPD that we could have got. In a sense he was 'best available'. On my opinion, I think that there are a few stand out KPDs who are miles better than anyone else. These guys are gold but we don't have access to them. Then there's about 10 players who are solid without being great. Frost fits firmly into that.

I agree with that, he was the only one available.

For all his concerning faults he has only just turned 26, and has spent essentially his whole career in rubbish sides - bar 2018 Melbourne, though he only played 13 games and was a back-up.

I think at a better club like ours, and in a better system like ours and under a much better coach like ours, we should be able to get more out of him and iron out his issues, or at least mitigate them. In fact I expect we will get the most out of him, all he has to do is create a contest so guys like Scrimshaw, Sicily and Hardwick can do their thing.

IMO he reminds me of Frawley in that he's strong and extremely quick on the lead. Frawley has always been good against leading targets, so I think we can use him in this regard and maybe move Frawley to the traditional monsters for the remainder of his career.

Last edited:
I had a feeling frost would leave the moment steve may started ragging on him during the middle of a game for all to see. Can you imagine a new recruit from "LOL Coast" on big coin (who'd turned up in ordinary condition to pre season) having the cheek to berate a senior teammate at the hawks?
They'd be out the door faster than you can say "box hill development side".

Fixed it for ya.

He's looks a v raw/could be anything type player. Has the athletic attributes to break the lines and not be burnt by the smaller fwds. If decision making under pressure and field kicking needs tinkering then he's at the right club. Happy to have him for a packet of doritos.

I wish Frost well but reality is if he never joined us no Hawthorn fan would even bother discussing him at all, now all of the sudden he joins us he's the second coming of Alex Rance lol.

No one's saying he's the second coming of Alex Rance, but it is possible to share traits.

Rance was all speed and endeavour with really poor foot skills for a good few years. He's obviously developed his game and Frost is at the point where he probably won't develop his game like that, but there are parallels to be drawn.

Being positive is not a bad thing. If you get an exciting, athletic tall forward coming up you'd probably rather compare them to Buddy Franklin than Waylen Manson.

Frosty will be a good pick up
Doesn't have to be A grade, top 10 or whatever - we didn't pay that price for him and we don't expect him to be that.

He fills out part of the list that we're severely lacking in. Despite my views, the club clearly doesn't rate Brand. We've lost Mohr. Mirra isn't up to it. Frosty jumps ahead of three guys we had on the list in 2019 as soon as he walks in the door.

Aside from that - he's improving year on year according to Melbourne folk. There's no secret that he's a loose cannon/roulette wheel with the footy - but if he has elite speed and stopping skills then there's enough to work with.

Hawthorn will put him on the same program they put Frawley on when he got here. It's the 'Sure, you're allowed to kick the footy, but only kick it up the line. Do not, ever, kick inboard' program.
Whereas the Sicily program is called "Sure, kick the footy wherever you like just do not, ever, kick to James Frawley"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our ball movement from D50 to mid is going to struggle with Frost in the side, added the fact we will likely have a combination of Stratts/Frost/Chip and McEvoy handling the footy will mean transition could be cumbersome.

I am all for the Frost trade, he is a solid footballer and releases Sic, but I just hope we surround him with good ball users.

Hardwick - Frawley - Burgoyne
Scrimshaw - Frost - Sicily

That for mine is our best back 6, has a good combination of talls/smalls and surrounds Chip and Frost with elite ball users.

Our ball movement from D50 to mid is going to struggle with Frost in the side, added the fact we will likely have a combination of Stratts/Frost/Chip and McEvoy handling the footy will mean transition could be cumbersome.

I am all for the Frost trade, he is a solid footballer and releases Sic, but I just hope we surround him with good ball users.

Hardwick - Frawley - Burgoyne
Scrimshaw - Frost - Sicily

That for mine is our best back 6, has a good combination of talls/smalls and surrounds Chip and Frost with elite ball users.
Yep 100% agree.

Don't know what that means for Stratton & McEvoy/ Ceglar.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

All good positional needs at the time with Gibson just transforming into a star, I agree Frost is a good moneyball positional need addition but back years ago when we made these we had a top quality solid core of A graders as a base.
You mean like Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Wingard, Sicily, Gunston, Breust, Mcevoy, Lewis, Patton?
We've got more top shelf talent than people have caught on - even our own, it would seem.

You mean like Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Wingard, Sicily, Gunston, Breust, Mcevoy, Lewis, Patton?
We've got more top shelf talent than people have caught on - even our own, it would seem.
Scully, Henderson, Smith, Frawley, Scrimshaw, Hardwick and Impy are either close to Top Shelf or will be. Of the top 8 sides only Richmond and Brisbane had us covered bit more consistency and improvement and we are back in the top 4.

Scully, Henderson, Smith, Frawley, Scrimshaw, Hardwick and Impy are either close to Top Shelf or will be. Of the top 8 sides only Richmond and Brisbane had us covered bit more consistency and improvement and we are back in the top 4.

Brisbane?

Our current best players don't compare to our past champions (a lot will be hall of famers)... BUT

The LM & club have done their very best given that we wont have picked up any of the Free Agents we thought we might have (this part of the plan has failed). My humble view is that we are still on a precipice list wise post Cogs & still have work to do but we are 2 key pieces away plus depth from sustained success.

Yes we've lost our last 4 games to them. We beat all the other teams except bulldogs who we had covered but couldn't hold on due to injuries and being robbed.

Yep, absolutely....just wondering if you meant they had us covered in terms of talent.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back