Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Seamus Mitchell - Pick #29 2020 ND - extends to 2025! Round 17 Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems a bit like the forgotten man. Was he injured at the end of the year? Very impressive season… tough and fast, can’t wait to see him lock down a position after another pre season

Seems a bit like the forgotten man. Was he injured at the end of the year? Very impressive season… tough and fast, can’t wait to see him lock down a position after another pre season
Ran out of petrol tickets. Its a long hard season. He will be better next year another full pre season hopefully

Naah his kicking is too valuable along with his run and carry

If he wasn't so valuable to us down back, he could play in a lot of positions the way he wins contests. Guy went from flashy forward to junkyard dog during the time he was playing inured and underperforming. Love his evolution and what he brings to our team. Plus: Elite Pace!

Seamus, Jiath, Weddle, Impey, as half back options, and now Kane Simpson is saying Amon will train as a half back over pre-season... I wonder if we plan to rotate these these guys between half back and stints further up the ground on the wing. Would be hard to match up on and shut down having those multiple runners and outlets. Some serious fire power developing in our squad on the flanks.

Seamus, Jiath, Weddle, Impey, as half back options, and now Kane Simpson is saying Amon will train as a half back over pre-season... I wonder if we plan to rotate these these guys between half back and stints further up the ground on the wing. Would be hard to match up on and shut down having those multiple runners and outlets. Some serious fire power developing in our squad on the flanks.
I think Amon is going back as we want better users. Seamus kicking (or decision making) is a bit erratic and impey/CJ/weddle are average kicks at best. Will be an interesting watch over preseason. I’m not sure seamus has the tank yet for wing - expect he stays down back in 2024 to establish his spot.

What a lovely surprise this was this season.

Genuine queries on him at the start of the year, and it could have gone any way. But he quickly became a regular.
Few things to work on in the off-season, but a good young player
I love it when a player 'comes from nowhere'* after 2-3yrs - feels like we get them for free!

So great for him & us that he's come on well. I'm hoping he's got plenty more improvement left in him as he builds experience, strength & his tank.

*from nowhere (in this case) = from injury interrupted seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seamus reminds me a bit of Hawks 80's star winger Darrin Pritchard both have blistering pace and are great by foot.
He's tough as well, so was Pritchard, in fact you didn't get a game in that team if you weren't.

Just need a leading forward to hit on the chest since we have a contested marking tall that takes 3 defenders out of the road.

He's also another reminder to some that 20 year olds are not necessarily 'cooked', or 'busts' if we haven't seen them star at senior level yet.

He was the completely forgotten man, not featuring in anyone's (here at least) future vision of our team only 12 months ago.

He's also another reminder to some that 20 year olds are not necessarily 'cooked', or 'busts' if we haven't seen them star at senior level yet.

He was the completely forgotten man, not featuring in anyone's (here at least) future vision of our team only 12 months ago.
I may be wrong but I think his first game was only Gather Round last year against the Giants? He looked great that day either way, bullet passes from the goal square and then following up with run and dash. It was a breath of fresh air. He played very well that day and sees the game easily unfolding before him, something that is often missed on the TV.

I may be wrong but I think his first game was only Gather Round last year against the Giants? He looked great that day either way, bullet passes from the goal square and then following up with run and dash. It was a breath of fresh air. He played very well that day and sees the game easily unfolding before him, something that is often missed on the TV.
Yep - debuted in Rd 5 last year.

However, like many young players, despite getting a Rising Star nomination in Rd 17, he was dropped to Box Hill for Rd 22/23.

It happens.

Yep - debuted in Rd 5 last year.

However, like many young players, despite getting a Rising Star nomination in Rd 17, he was dropped to Box Hill for Rd 22/23.

It happens.
Actually, it was really cute when he came off the interchange bench for his first entrance. All his relatives were in the Norwood members area and they let out a great big cheer when he came on.

Something that is missed on the bigger grounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back