Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Seamus Mitchell - Pick #29 2020 ND - extends to 2025! Round 17 Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"I am surprised myself," Mitchell said after training on Thursday. "Over the course of the first two years I lost a lot of confidence and self-belief. I think the coaches really drilled that into me. They told me I have a lot of talent and the ability to play AFL. It eventually showed in some of the practice matches. I wasn't outstanding but I was getting my job done and building my confidence."

"I'd actually never really played half-back until a few times last year, so I didn't really know I had it in me," he said. "I am surprised with my form and that I've been able to hold my spot and find that consistency."

Mitchell is close to finalising a contract extension that will underline the dramatic turnaround he has produced in the past couple of months, a turnaround that not many saw coming, including himself.

"I think I can (make a career of this). The confidence I've got from this year has been massive. I can't be satisfied with where I'm at, I've just got to continue to improve and get better over the next year or two and not be happy with where I'm at. Just got to keep getting better."

"I am surprised myself," Mitchell said after training on Thursday. "Over the course of the first two years I lost a lot of confidence and self-belief. I think the coaches really drilled that into me. They told me I have a lot of talent and the ability to play AFL. It eventually showed in some of the practice matches. I wasn't outstanding but I was getting my job done and building my confidence."

"I'd actually never really played half-back until a few times last year, so I didn't really know I had it in me," he said. "I am surprised with my form and that I've been able to hold my spot and find that consistency."

Mitchell is close to finalising a contract extension that will underline the dramatic turnaround he has produced in the past couple of months, a turnaround that not many saw coming, including himself.

"I think I can (make a career of this). The confidence I've got from this year has been massive. I can't be satisfied with where I'm at, I've just got to continue to improve and get better over the next year or two and not be happy with where I'm at. Just got to keep getting better."
Even before he was drafted, Mitchell was forced to do it the hard way. When he was cut from the Bendigo Pioneers program at the start of his bottom-age season, he went back to Robinvale Euston and performed so well against grown men that the door eventually swung back open in the Coates Talent League.

Kid knows how to work when the going gets tough, his a genuine gun

I heard Sam Mitchell mention John Noble on I think it was Footy Classifieds last week making me think Sam sees Seamus as our John Noble.....

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

What does Shammy have to do to get a rising star nomination. Pedlar gets a nom for a 11 poss game and 2 goals against North. Becoming laughable now.
Pedlar got a body of work nom, which Seamus deserves too.

I fear he won’t get it though, because small defenders aren’t sexy.

Pedlar got a body of work nom, which Seamus deserves too.

I fear he won’t get it though, because small defenders aren’t sexy.
there aren't very many rookies getting games that haven't already won it. im fairly sure he'll get one soon if he keeps putting up 15-20 possession games

Not long enough
Perfect length I reckon. Considering his injury history and the fact he's only played 10 games so far it would be silly to do more than 2 years at this point.

Nothing stopping the club offering a further extension during next season when it's clear he's over the injury woes.

Great news.

In a year of mostly terrible performances at least we've had feel-good stories like Mitchell. His development has been amazing - from being on the chopping block and changing positions completely, to coming in to the senior team and playing like a veteran, and now earning an extension in the space of a few months.

Perfect length I reckon. Considering his injury history and the fact he's only played 10 games so far it would be silly to do more than 2 years at this point.

Nothing stopping the club offering a further extension during next season when it's clear he's over the injury woes.
And if his about to go to a new level, 3 years should of been the minimum

And if his about to go to a new level, 3 years should of been the minimum
Like I said, nothing stopping the club from offering a further extension next year. Anything more than 2 years is pretty risky for a player who has spent more time in rehab than on the field.

Like I said, nothing stopping the club from offering a further extension next year. Anything more than 2 years is pretty risky for a player who has spent more time in rehab than on the field.
Going to have to disagree here, if I was the 18 other clubs in 2024 I will be offering a huge contract for seamus which just open up future challenges, essentially this time next year he is already considering next steps instead of atleast a years grace.

Clubs put in years of work on key players, particularly ones that are gettable

I'm super pumped about this signing. I'll put my hand up and say I did have doubt he would make it end of last year. Never question his talent but didn't think his body would hold up and allow him to play his best footy.

I was wrong and I knew it after his first game, he came into the team and did all the defensive things as well as you can expect from a first gamer. I love that in these young guys, I remember Duke doing his first game with double digit tackles in the middle and Day doing it his first game composed under pressure. Shammy has come in and just got it done from day 1.

The backbone of his game is a tick and from here he has been able to show off his skills and speed thats going to make him a real weapon over his career.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back