Player Watch Father-Son Pick #25 (2019) - Jackson Mead

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s interesting that clubs clearly don’t see it that way. Take Joe Daniher as an example, he would have been training semi professionally with an AFL club since he was 14 or 15, he looks like he can barely stand upright on his opposite right leg let alone kick on it.

I agree with your point, although maybe tall full forward is the one position you get some leeway for only being able to kick with one foot.

Midfielders I would have thought, probably mobile defenders too, have the most to add to their game by kicking with both feet. How many times do you think Pittard got caught because they knew he was always going to evade left and try to kick with his lieft. With even a competent right he becomes that much harder to stand.

I know that it comes easier to some than others. Not everyone can be Jason Akermanis thank God (but remember that goal against us from the boundary line where he CHOSE his wrong fott?). He becomes twice as hard to defend as a result. Even Tredrea as a forward would happily wheel left or right and be able to kick the ball up to 50 metres. If he got the ball out in front of a defender his decision making and ability to literally deliver the ball within 360 degrees was a tremendous asset.

Edit: A fott is a foot in Qld.

Last edited:
We
We are an inclusive bunch here. We do not discriminate.
"Give us your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore."
But Tex..... that's going too far 🤔
Don't get upset about "Tex" ... I just watched the last showdown again. "Tex" kicks a goal within 20 seconds in the third quarter. Runs to his crow flogs at the fence. Waving his arms. like Betts. Look at me, look at me, I kicked a goal and pointing to the crowd.
That was the last goal the Crows kicked and Port added nine more.
Halfway through the last quarter, the crow flogs were leaving Adelaide Oval. They have had enough of "Tex' LOL

Last edited:
Don't get upset about "Tex" ... I just watched the last showdown again. "Tex" kicks a goal within 20 seconds in the third quarter. Runs to his crow flogs at the fence. Waving his arms. like Betts. Look at me, look at me, I kicked a goal and pointing to the crowd.
That was the last goal the Crows kicked and Port added nine more.
Halfway through the last quarter, the crow flogs were leaving Adelaide Oval. They have had enough of "Tex' LOL

Watched that game again recently and couldn’t remember who won until that Tex goal. Dementia is great.

massive increases in the times spent on fitness, leadership programmes , team bonding etc can only mean less time with a football in their hands unless kids growing up today magically have more hours in a week.
Not necessarily, with a camp like the one we have just had time not spend training is still spend together on team building exercises and having fun as a group. Where as back home that same time may be spend individually.

Not necessarily, with a camp like the one we have just had time not spend training is still spend together on team building exercises and having fun as a group. Where as back home that same time may be spend individually.

end of year training camps are nearly as old as football itself. It’s not a new thing.

With increased professionalism modern afl no doubt has increased the amount of time demanded of its players, but I propose that time has entirely been eaten up and then some by fitness work, studying film, leadership programmes etc.

I’m very adamant that modern players spend far less time working with a football in their hand and I think it shows.

end of year training camps are nearly as old as football itself. It’s not a new thing.

With increased professionalism modern afl no doubt has increased the amount of time demanded of its players, but I propose that time has entirely been eaten up and then some by fitness work, studying film, leadership programmes etc.

I’m very adamant that modern players spend far less time working with a football in their hand and I think it shows.
I don’t Disagree with the general point, that was an observation. There is no reason we fitness drills can’t be done with a football in hand and combine it with skills training.

I don’t Disagree with the general point, that was an observation. There is no reason we fitness drills can’t be done with a football in hand and combine it with skills training.

yeah I’ve been arguing for years that whether the boys are white water rafting down rapids or climbing a mountain in pre season they should have a footy in their hands or not do it at all.
But they don’t.

Someone probably executed the atomic knee drop on him, we've already seen the level of protection our players get from sanfl umpires.

Someone probably executed the atomic knee drop on him, we've already seen the level of protection our players get from sanfl umpires.
Lack of physical protection and just blatant blind eye-ism. Last quarter centre bounce (or possibly a secondary ball up), SPP clearly had his jumper stretched from the front of his collar directly in front of the ump. Play on.

Mead has been looking solid, no frills, in the 3 games so far. Would love to see him later in the season with a good body of consistent SANFL work behind him (and a few more gym sessions). [Edit: following spleen recovery :$ ]

Edit: And if it weren't for COVID, he might've had the chance to play with his brother last year. Where's Mitch these days?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lack of physical protection and just blatant blind eye-ism. Last quarter centre bounce (or possibly a secondary ball up), SPP clearly had his jumper stretched from the front of his collar directly in front of the ump. Play on.

Mead has been looking solid, no frills, in the 3 games so far. Would love to see him later in the season with a good body of consistent SANFL work behind him (and a few more gym sessions).

Edit: And if it weren't for COVID, he might've had the chance to play with his brother last year. Where's Mitch these days?

Mitch is at the Eagles.

Mead back in April says he felt sick at home after the game, passed out, and got sent to hospital for 5 days.

Was also told he may be ruled out for the year. So good effort getting back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back