Toast Welcome to the Bulldogs Josh Bruce

Remove this Banner Ad

Change the original thread title. Doesn’t deserve toast, what a complete dud
Unfortunately you could see his decline coming at Saints. Saints didn’t want him but wanted first round pick. I couldn’t believe many of us were willing to give our first in some way for him. In saying that I thought he would be handy and hopefully can contribute something this season or next. Feel for Schache who has had some very good games last year for us.

Was a catalyst in costing us the game tonight.. That 2nd quarter miss for an afl player was nothing short of ******* inexcusable

He's been poor but I feel really bad for him.

He posts a lot on Instagram about online bullying and I'm really concerned about his mental health. He cops it really hard on social media every week. I know it's one of those things you can opt out of but everyone his age is on there and to actually remove yourself from social media is very hard to do.

I think it might be best for everyone if Bevo gives him the rest of the year off and we can have another look next year. At this rate I can see him being the next Tom Boyd and there's a cruel irony that he took the number 17.

He’ll have the forward line to himself when Naughton leaves on a big deal to go back west.

Naughton wont leave mate.
He wanted to come to vic when he was drafted. When do we ever lose our blue chip players?

I wanna believe it but if we’re stuck in no mans land for another 3 years with Bev, it wouldnt surprise me. Spot for him in the Eagles forward line with Kennedy retires.

Gulp. That's sobering reading. Arguably his worst season in the AFL is 2020.
Yes, even allowing for the shortened quarters.
It'd be hard playing in our forward line though. It'd take a fair bit adapting.

He needs a good pre season to lose some weight and get some speed up. He has obviously lost his confidence, so it’s cruel to keep playing him. If we had played Schache last night we might have won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have not beaten a single team in the 8 this year so the coaches must know deep down that we are off the pace.

I still think Bruce can be an asset, but I'd give him a stint down back in the full back position for the remainder of the season. It would take his mind off the goal-kicking and make him focus on some other skills and protecting the ball more.

This would also allow Keath some freedom to intercept mark and maybe our premiership chf (Cordy) can have stint in his old spot...

We have not beaten a single team in the 8 this year so the coaches must know deep down that we are off the pace.

I still think Bruce can be an asset, but I'd give him a stint down back in the full back position for the remainder of the season. It would take his mind off the goal-kicking and make him focus on some other skills and protecting the ball more.

This would also allow Keath some freedom to intercept mark and maybe our premiership chf (Cordy) can have stint in his old spot...
Yes we have beaten a top 8 side this year and that was Melbourne last week

He posts a lot on Instagram about online bullying and I'm really concerned about his mental health. He cops it really hard on social media every week. I know it's one of those things you can opt out of but everyone his age is on there and to actually remove yourself from social media is very hard to do.

I think it might be best for everyone if Bevo gives him the rest of the year off and we can have another look next year. At this rate I can see him being the next Tom Boyd and there's a cruel irony that he took the number 17.
And the ones responsible for putting a player so bereft of confidence, ,on a stage
When clearly needed time to recapture it.
Should take a long hard look at themselves.
And worse with Gardner and not playing Lewis Young .Creates a jealous toxic environment...

He tries, but sometimes the delivery to him is shithouse which doesn’t help. He’s usually getting scragged and the umps never call it either, but he needs to stop leading to pockets or tell the players in the middle of the 50 to get the * out of the way and stop taking up the space

If he nails the easy shot before half time I reckon we win. Would have put us 4 goals and having kicked last goal taken away the cats confidence. I know JJ missed one but we got Bruce to kick some goals. Even in the 3rd quarter he could have redeemed himself with harder shot and he missed.

I thought he may have improved when Naughton came back and he got the second best defender not the case. Not sure if soft Schache is a better option but at least he is a much more accurate kick.

Last edited:

Good post.

If that is the case then I think resting him is the right call. To be honest I think he could still be a valuable player for us in the Tom Boyd ruck/forward role. We just need to take the pressure off him kicking goals and get him out of the spotlight a little.

He’s a good guy and a good player. He’s in rotten form but he’ll come out of it

Last edited:
He tries, but sometimes the delivery to him is shithouse which doesn’t help. He’s usually getting scragged and the umps never call it either, but he needs to stop leading to pockets or tell the players in the middle of the 50 to get the fu** out of the way and stop taking up the space
Shocking call. He regularly drops balls that are put on an absolute platter for him.

We could have Peter Matera and Simon Black kicking it to him and he’d still be dropping them at the moment.

Good post.

If that is the case then I think resting him is the right call. To be honest I think he could still be a valuable player for us in the Tom Boyd ruck/forward role. We just need to take the pressure off him kicking goals and get him out of the spotlight a little.

He’s a good guy and a good player. He’s in rotten form but he’ll come out of it
You might be right but take a step back and look at what you’re suggesting. We are stressing out a bloke we specifically bought in to kick goals because he’s not kicking any. If this kind of attitude/ mindset wasn’t picked up in some kind of interview process then someone isn’t doing their job.

You might be right but take a step back and look at what you’re suggesting. We are stressing out a bloke we specifically bought in to kick goals because he’s not kicking any. If this kind of attitude/ mindset wasn’t picked up in some kind of interview process then someone isn’t doing their job.
I think you're downplaying the difficulty of predicting human behaviour. Especially considering he's a relatively new dad, living in a new hub surrounded by a bunch of guys he only started playing with 10 months ago. Wouldn't be easy, especially when you're out of form.

Something needs to change here, even just to reset his mindset and relieve a bit of pressure.
Id like tO try him in the backline, to at least see how it looks for a few reasons:
1. Allows him to refocus
2. I don’t know what his long term future in the forward line is with Naughton needing space and Jamarra coming in. I understand Jamarra will take time, but long term I’m unsure how it would look with all 3
3. If we all get our wish and bring in another ruckman, it will mean more time up forward for English, is there room for Naughton, jamarra, Bruce and English? Doubt it
4. We are statistically the worse one on one defensive team in the league and are desperate for another key defender.

yes, this would still require him to get fitter in the offseason, but based on the above I’d at least like us to try it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back