Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

7f1d7750c7af0dc577b3ae555d4f874a.jpg

Facepalm.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry to differ from you guys but if Anderson wrote that on 29 April this year then he had a fair case, even though I disagree with some of the descriptive stuff.
Here are his Ching votes up to the Elim Final. He didn't record a single Ching vote in the first six games the last of which was on ... 29 April.
upload_2016-9-22_1-0-24.png
NB: I've only used Ching votes because they are easy to capture but I'm sure if you got things like the AFLCA votes they would reflect the same lack of star performances over that 6 week period.

We WB supporters know why of course (hip surgery and interrupted pre-season) but I think Anderson wasn't being totally unfair in his comments, based on Bont's exposed form to that point.

However from Round 7 Bont has totally killed it. Would be among the best handful of players in the league in that time.

Sorry to differ from you guys but if Anderson wrote that on 29 April this year then he had a fair case, even though I disagree with some of the descriptive stuff.
Here are his Ching votes up to the Elim Final. He didn't record a single Ching vote in the first six games the last of which was on ... 29 April.
View attachment 291408
NB: I've only used Ching votes because they are easy to capture but I'm sure if you got things like the AFLCA votes they would reflect the same lack of star performances over that 6 week period.

We WB supporters know why of course (hip surgery and interrupted pre-season) but I think Anderson wasn't being totally unfair in his comments, based on Bont's exposed form to that point.

However from Round 7 Bont has totally killed it. Would be among the best handful of players in the league in that time.
Yeah how dare we expect a journalist to do a modicum of research or try to get the full story before writing his opinion.
It's definitely us not being fair to him.

Yeah how dare we expect a journalist to do a modicum of research or try to get the full story before writing his opinion.

Thought you we're talking about the other sage Anderson...Jon, a bloke who wrote us off every week throughout the season, but would probably now be claiming us.

View attachment 291408

He relished the opportunity to kick a kid while he was 'down' (he was actually putting up similar numbers to his 2015 season at the time, not the heights he'd reach later but by no means terrible) without, as Mike pointed out, doing one iota of research. He deserves every bit ridicule coming his way and how stupid he's been made to look. Stick to copy and pasting other people's profiles for your phantom draft, Brett.

Yep. If someone plucks out and ridicules a tweet that's 5 months old that is a bit unfair. I don't agree with it all but he had some basis for making his point. The world has obviously changed a bit since then and I reckon he would have a different take on the Bont now.

I'm sure if we did some research I could find plenty of posts from you and me that made perfect sense 6 or 12 months ago, but would make us cringe now.

Yep. If someone plucks out and ridicules a tweet that's 5 months old that is a bit unfair. I don't agree with it all but he had some basis for making his point. The world has obviously changed a bit since then and I reckon he would have a different take on the Bont now.

I'm sure if we did some research I could find plenty of posts from you and me that made perfect sense 6 or 12 months ago, but would make us cringe now.
No he didn't. He made an uninformed judgment on a 20 year old who had no preseason coming off hip surgery. It was as ridiculous then as it is now and he should feel uncomfortable about it. I'm all for devil's advocacy but this is bordering on defending the indefensible.

So what you are saying is that you or I should be held to the same standard as a professional journalist who is paid to be informed on these things? I'm flattered that you think so highly of me.

Last edited:
I'm with Mike on this. It was Anderson's goddamn job to know.

He's complicit in a media culture where journos leverage little scraps of inside information on player movement to get a platform and then use their soapbox for evil.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. One of the worst pundits around, the Bont tweet is just the tip of the iceberg.

I must have lower expectations from journos than you blokes. Yes, they should do their homework but very few do.

Perhaps that's why these things don't bother me much. I seldom read their stuff. I get more out of BF than I get out of the media.

As for Brett Anderson, I don't know his form so I'll take your word for it, Ozil .

View attachment 291408

Going by his Ching votes, if umpires think similarly, that puts Bont somewhere around the 22-23 votes mark in the Brownlow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must have lower expectations from journos than you blokes. Yes, they should do their homework but very few do.

Perhaps that's why these things don't bother me much. I seldom read their stuff. I get more out of BF than I get out of the media.

As for Brett Anderson, I don't know his form so I'll take your word for it, Ozil .

I think this basically sums it up. I'd love to be an AFL journo, reckon I'd be in the top echelon, not because I'd be an astounding writer or anything of that ilk, but because I'd take 5 minutes to actually fact check something and get it right before going to print / media.

AFL legend Anthony Koutoufides says ‘it’s scary to think’ how good Marcus Bontempelli could be
TAP HERE TO SUBSCRIBE IN ITUNES

Standing at 192cm tall, Bontempelli is arguably of key position height.

In a previous era, the Bulldogs star would likely have been tested as a key forward, rather than getting the opportunity to try his luck in the midfield.

Koutoufides said he was proud to have played a pioneering role for the likes of Bontempelli and Carlton’s Patrick Cripps, who have both made their mark as big-bodied midfielders.

“Bontempelli’s lucky — I had to wait until 1999 and 2000 until I finally got in the midfield — previously I was played on the wing and at centre-half-back and up forward and all that,” he said.

“So I guess it was a really unknown factor back in my day, once the club started trialling it to see what I could do in the midfield, every other club I guess tried to copy it.

“Having a bigger body in there who could get the ball out of pack situations (set Carlton apart). “So it became a normal thing afterwards, with Adam Goodes and then Matthew Pavlich going in there.”

In 2000, Koutoufides averaged 26 disposals, 14.9 contested possessions, six marks, 6.3 clearances and 1.8 goals per game.

This year, Bontempelli has averaged 24.5 disposals, 11 contested possessions, 3.96 marks, 4.2 clearances and just over a goal a game.

Koutoufides was 27 in 2000, while Bontempelli is just 20 now.

ec99ef7e0857a195076fec100c259778

Anthony Koutoufides starred in the 1999 Preliminary Final.
With Bontempelli’s height and strength, it seems almost certain that as he develops, he’ll be able to push forward more and impact the scoreboard in a similar vein to Koutoufides, who booted three or more goals on 19 occasions throughout his career.

“It’s scary to think how good he could be, as a 20-year-old, he still looks like he hasn’t quite matured yet,” Koutoufides said.

“So he could probably put on a little bit of muscle and maybe gain some more strength, because he certainly hasn’t hit his peak and I think at that height, he’s really hard to stop.

“You have to find other players at his height that are able to stop him around the stoppages.

“So you’ve got to put someone on him at the stoppages but he’s also capable of running forward and taking a big mark for the Bulldogs.”

If there’s anyone who knows about performing in a final, it’s ‘Kouta’.

The Carlton legend dragged his side over the line in the 1999 Preliminary Final against Essendon with a dominant final-quarter performance.

He finished that day with 29 disposals, 12 marks and two goals.

Koutoufides said Bontempelli’s now-proven ability to perform in big games would see him cement his position among the game’s elite.

“But the finals is when you really look at players and whn they can stand up,” he said.

“Bontempelli’s proven he’s even more special in my opinion because come finals time, the guy can play.

“He can play good finals footy and there’s others who can’t and he’s taken the game by the scruff of the neck and helped the Bulldogs get over the line.

“Anything’s possible — the sky’s the limit for him and there’s still a long way to go.”

Last edited:
View attachment 291408

I argued with Anderson on the night and it was because he elaborated to say he hadn't done much since his first year and had "stagnated". Which was bullshit, Bont was good last year and that's backed up by advanced metrics and the fact he had 15 brownlow votes.

Combine that with the fact that, yes he understandably started the year quietly due to his surgery but he still managed to kick 3 when the game was hot v Carlton and played his game of the year up to that point against brisbane the week before. It's not even debatable that Anderson was being a trigger happy d#*^head.

He deserved to be called up on it at the time because to people who were watching Bont with their eyes and not counting stat sheets his slower start was not a concern.

Got off the train in Yarraville today and as I headed into the village, the clouds parted and a ray of golden light blinded me. At that moment a figure appeared before me, angles chorused and He was stood there in all his glory. There was silence. I stuck out my injured right hand and introduced myself. I expressed my excitment at last night's result he said the team were excited and we parted ways. My hand was healed - no pain, no cut, no scar. Was it a miracle? Not sure but I know awe when it strikes me. It's not a natural state for a grown man to be in.

Meanwhile how good was the VFL granny??? A sign of things to come!!!

I spoke to one of the 1954ers yesterday.

I asked him whether if Bont kept this trajectory he'd be up there with EJ Whitten.

The answer was a big yes and that Bont is playing better now than whitten did. Granted Bont is a pro athlete and whitten wasn't

Just found out that I work in the same building as Mrs Bontempelli.
Is that 2 degrees of separation?

I know she gets it a lot but give her a hug and thank you from all of us.

Anyone think his a chance tonight or Danger that far ahead?

Sadly, no. Danger will go 30+.

Anyone think his a chance tonight or Danger that far ahead?
The only question tonight is whether Dangerfield will break the all time vote record currently held by Dane Swan.

Bontempelli started a bit slowly after an interrupted summer, wouldn't expect him to poll anything in the first 6 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back