Toast Welcome Will Brodie

Remove this Banner Ad

Really rated Brodie in his draft year, think he will surprise many next year if given the opportunity. Well worth the trade, free hit that could be another Jack Steele..

Really rated Brodie in his draft year, think he will surprise many next year if given the opportunity. Well worth the trade, free hit that could be another Jack Steele..
praise-thats-high-praise.gif

Of the couple of GC posters that have come on here, they said he doesn't tackle

So don't get too excited about it yet
But you gotta remember those GC supporters are Rugby League fans & all those campaigners do is tackle.
If you don’t get 10 tackles in a game up there, you’ve done * all.
Eg, GC supporter 1 “See King kicked 8 goals yesterday!”
GC Supporter 2 “yeh, but he only had 1 tackle”.
GC Supporter 1 “good point, drop the campaigner!”

Sorry all, slow trade day.

Interesting to go back and read draft profiles from his year to see how highly rated he was. Seems like it'll be inside mid or bust.

This from Quigley seems to be one of the more detailed writeups:

5. Will Brodie
One of the surprises to me in recent times has been the fact that Brodie has been falling down the expert’s lists. He is not as sexy as other options but I personally have no trouble slotting into the top tier of this draft and if the Lions took him at 3 I would not be overly worried. To me I do not think there has been anyone who are demanded to be taken at the top of this draft but the top tier overall is strong and to have this many quality options is really unusual. In that top tier if you wanted an inside bull then Brodie is the one you go with. There is not a lot of positional versatility with him but what he does, he does well and winning the clearances are still a vital part of the game.

Brodie is a big, strong inside mid who reads taps well, has quick, clean hands and reasonable vision in the clearances. He is well balanced, holds his feet in the contests and does a good job of keeping his hands free. In tight he is very ordinary with his left hand handball, lacking power and control and is a bit indiscriminate with his kicks. Overall though he does well clearing the ball from the contest.

Brodie lacks a bit of top end speed but I think he is underestimated athletically. He is never going to be a standout with his athletic ability but I think he has enough athleticism to do what he needs to do at the next level. He has decent explosiveness with his first few steps and is quite evasiveness. He works well in the phone box and is not as easy to get hold of as you would expect from a guy of his size and with his somewhat lacking top end speed. He has a good step and with his power he can go through arm tackles.

The other area where Brodie can be underestimated is with his outside game. He spreads from the contest well and links up pretty well. He is a strong mark of the ball and at 189cm he has the height to get over a lot of the guys who typically go with him. When he has space and an open man he executes well. Generally when he has time I actually rate his kicking. His style is quite good and he looks comfortable. When things go wrong with his kicks I think the cause is most often his decision making rather than his execution.

I think Brodie has potential to be decent as a resting forward with one very big proviso. As already mentioned he is strong of body and is a good mark. He reads the ball decently in the air and finds space well inside 50. In short, he is a difficult cover for defences and he regularly gets opportunities. The big proviso is that currently he has no confidence taking the kicks for goal and looks for every opportunity to pass the shot off. When he takes the shot I do not see a lot wrong with his technique and really I think it is all between the ears with him.

If you were looking for a comparison I would go with Michael Barlow. Barlow started late and Brodie could struggle a bit early in his career whilst he adjusts to matching up against bigger and quicker opponents every week. Think of how lost Cripps looked in his first year. Bigger guys who lack a bit of pace often take time to adjust.

Brodie was the stand out I thought in the first half of the year and really did nothing wrong in the back half. I am sure any team that takes him will gain confidence from his standout performances against the VFL teams from the AFL Academy. For me he was the clear standout in those games. Brodie was not a huge accumulator of the ball but he did average over 20 disposals a game at every level he played this year which showed that whilst he is not an elite accumulator at the moment he can find it. As his tank improves I expect those numbers to increase.

I think there are a couple of reasons for him dropping down lists at the moment. Firstly he is a bit of a blue collar type and there is more excitement associated with the other prospects and there is a perception that Brodie as a lower ceiling. I think this these reasons are wrong and undervalue what he can give a team. Given the number of interstate teams drafting in the first round the fact that amongst the top group he is considered the biggest flight risk and has the most personality faults has traction and is a very valid consideration.

----------

FWIW Knightmare had him at 8 on his power rankings in 2016
8. William Brodie (VIC)

Best position:
Inside midfielder

Height, weight: 189cm, 82kg 

Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Plays like: Jack Redden

Projected draft range: top 10

Rated last month: 3

Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: Strength of AFL Under-18 Championships and his performances against VFL opponents earlier this year through midfield enough to validate this high ranking. Patchy TAC Cup form late season results in Brodie dipping down rankings.

Strengths:
- Production

- Strong performer against more mature VFL bodies

- Lifts during important moments in games

- Performs in big games

- Reads ruck taps well

- Wins first possession at stoppages in dangerous positions

- Contested-ball winning at stoppages and around the ground

- Hits stoppage at speed, winning contested ball on the move and bursting out other side with ball in hand

- Kicks from stoppages often damaging and find inside 50 target

-Tackling

- Distributes well distribute by hand

- Wins ground balls at speed on the move

- Work rate

- Two-way run

- Run and carry

- Overlap run

- Sidestep 

Weaknesses:

- Rushed under pressure

- Footskills sometimes lack consistency

- Contested marking

- Scoreboard impact

This was a curious-weird observation :

"Given the number of interstate teams drafting in the first round the fact that amongst the top group he is considered the biggest flight risk and has the most personality faults has traction and is a very valid consideration."

This was a curious-weird observation :

"Given the number of interstate teams drafting in the first round the fact that amongst the top group he is considered the biggest flight risk and has the most personality faults has traction and is a very valid consideration."
He was linked to going home to Vic for years tbh

Nearly went it essnedon last year but now Parish stood up they don't need the inside mid

If he had a taker in Vic I reckon he would have gone there but list spots are low atm and luckily a mid spot just opened here

He was linked to going home to Vic for years tbh

Nearly went it essnedon last year but now Parish stood up they don't need the inside mid

If he had a taker in Vic I reckon he would have gone there but list spots are low atm and luckily a mid spot just opened here
He "belongs" here!
Adopt this son!
Channelling Michael Barlow!
Bit of symmetry goin round here.

The big proviso is that currently he has no confidence taking the kicks for goal and looks for every opportunity to pass the shot off. When he takes the shot I do not see a lot wrong with his technique and really I think it is all between the ears with him.

:$

whatever happened to quigley he was great

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longmuir said he saw Brodie as an inside player that could add a lot to Fremantle’s midfield mix next season.

“We’re really bullish on him, we’ll give him an opportunity primarily as an inside mid,” Longmuir said.

“There’s going to need to be a secondary role there just to get his game time up, as is the case with all of our mids.

“Whether that is on the wing or we try and bring some of his aerial strengths to the forward line, we will work on that when he hits the program fully.

“He has all the qualities there to be a good inside mid for us, he is really good in traffic with his hands and with his ability to drive from inside to out.

“We’re really going to focus on his strengths…we feel like there is a spot there if he has a good pre-season.”

Freo’s trade bargain becomes their clearance king

The immediate impact of Fremantle recruit Will Brodie has been underlined by the release of statistics from Friday night’s practice match, showing the former Gold Coast midfielder had a game-high nine clearances in his first outing for the Dockers.

I was surprised to see we only won the total clearances 37-33. We seemed a lot more dominant by eye.

Last edited:

The immediate impact of Fremantle recruit Will Brodie has been underlined by the release of statistics from Friday night’s practice match, showing the former Gold Coast midfielder had a game-high nine clearances in his first outing for the Dockers.

I was surprised to see we only won the total clearances 37-33. We seemed a lot more dominant by eye.
To be honest, on reflection, I dont remember clearly taking out of a stoppage and streaming forward, it was more after some general play or from turnover we just ran up the ground like we were playing against witches hats

clean clearance is very different to hack kick out of a clearance.

clean clearance is very different to hack kick out of a clearance.
It's an odd measurement huh?
You can get a clearance, but give it straight to the oppo.
Or get a clearance, and give to a player under pressure who gets tackled and go again.

It's an odd measurement huh?
You can get a clearance, but give it straight to the oppo.
Or get a clearance, and give to a player under pressure who gets tackled and go again.
The outcome from the clearance is more important.

In saying that the structure of forwards/backs can change the outcome.

AFL is a difficult stat wise as it has a lot of context.

The outcome from the clearance is more important.

In saying that the structure of forwards/backs can change the outcome.

AFL is a difficult stat wise as it has a lot of context.

Good point. AFL stats are a weird thing. They have trouble keeping up with the game's evolution - witness marks, which used to be a sign of dominance but are now immaterial unless they are contested in the forward line. Until winning clearances correlates with winning football games I will treat them with caution. Meanwhile, I will keep an eye on turnovers!

Good point. AFL stats are a weird thing. They have trouble keeping up with the game's evolution - witness marks, which used to be a sign of dominance but are now immaterial unless they are contested in the forward line. Until winning clearances correlates with winning football games I will treat them with caution. Meanwhile, I will keep an eye on turnovers!
Intercept marks is the stat that I look at, which is very similar to turn overs.

Intercept marks allow teams to control the ball and set up defensively.

Interesting that Richmond and Hawthorn both lost the clearances but they both intercepted a lot.

Richmond run hard and broke the lines from the intercept marking.

Hawthorn intercepted used the short kicking game to control the game.

Intercept marks is the stat that I look at, which is very similar to turn overs.

Intercept marks allow teams to control the ball and set up defensively.

Interesting that Richmond and Hawthorn both lost the clearances but they both intercepted a lot.

Richmond run hard and broke the lines from the intercept marking.

Hawthorn intercepted used the short kicking game to control the game.
Thing about that though, in a poor team you can have a lot of intercept marks.
Not much good if the ball never makes it past half way before it comes back again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back