List Mgmt. What to do with McCartin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Petracca is a Spud. DeGoey was the one we all missed on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'We all missed on'

Two years ago if I'm not mistaken, he was shopped around by Collingwood with no takers. He has serious behavioural/attitude problems and a number of off field discretions, his first good game of the year wasn't even until Round 7 against Brisbane. Before that he had shown glimpses but not even enough to have him in the top 5 of his draft that he was taken in, possibly even top 10. We didn't miss out on anything. He's still very hit and miss now and whilst he can dominate games he can equally go completely missing.

'We all missed on'

Two years ago if I'm not mistaken, he was shopped around by Collingwood with no takers. He has serious behavioural/attitude problems and a number of off field discretions, his first good game of the year wasn't even until Round 7 against Brisbane. Before that he had shown glimpses but not even enough to have him in the top 5 of his draft that he was taken in, possibly even top 10. We didn't miss out on anything. He's still very hit and miss now and whilst he can dominate games he can equally go completely missing.
His first good game of the year might not have been until round 7, but his first game was until round 4. In the 3 games before round 7 he kicked a goal in every game including 23 disposals and a goal against Essendon. Seems like he was just warming up.
Since then his lowest disposals in a game have been against us (13) and west coast (12), but he also kicked 6 against us and 4 against West Coast. He absolutely dominated the game against Melbourne. I’d say he’s quite clearly the best player from his draft.

'We all missed on'

Tongue in cheek towards the Petracca Circle Jerk Society mate.

A lot of international endurance athletes are performing well with a no sugar, no carbohydrates diet. Chris Froome, multiple Tour de France winner is an example. It has advantages for Diabetics as they burn ketones from fat rather than glucose for energy. Makes it a lot easier to manage insulin levels without glucose in the system. A side effect is losing weight and lowering inflammation in the system. Looks like a perfect solution for Paddy.
It takes about 9 months to adapt your system to this diet.
Melbourne Football Club experimented with this diet for the whole team one year but moved away from it so would be interesting to see the data and find out why they dropped it.
I went on this diet a couple of years ago. I am back to the weight I was in high school. Hip and shoulder pain from old injuries has gone and at 55 feel like I did 30 years ago. It is not easy, (no beer or junk food) but the results are worth it.

That's interesting. Definitely worth looking into.

The thing about Roma was, he was clunking his marks. Unfortunately for some reason Paddy, who was supposed to have been a strong mark, appears to have steel gloves on, coz he doesn’t take to many one grab marks at all.
Yup, and if it's OK to have Billings and Acres in the twos until they tear it up with 30-40 possessions it's OK to play Paddy in the twos until he starts holding his marks and making his set shots. How many goals he kicks isn't so important as it kind of depends how Sandy are going at the time.
I'm happy enough to have Paddy in the team, finding his way since we're not playing for sheep stations now anyway. But Roma at least earned another good look in the game against Carlton, and since we're not "gifting games" to young players, Paddy should have to earn it too.
Carlton are playing like crap, but their defenders Rowe, Marchbank, Jones aren't VFL quality players as others are suggesting. Murphy, Cripps, Fisher aren't VFL players. Put that team in the VFL and they would destroy the other teams, even with Kreuzer off. Their confidence is down and they can't see the light at the end of this season's tunnel, fair enough. Roma's confidence was up, his skills were good, he offered us versatility around the ground and it was good to watch.

This thread is an embarrassment. What is it with St Kilda supporters and whipping boys?
Every team has them. And the thread probably wouldn't exist if Paddy hadn't been dropping marks and wafting set shots through for points all year. Going as pick 1 means he's always going to have some kind of trade value, and with lots of potential options up forward people are naturally wanting to weigh it up.
The chances of him coming good and the benefits if he does come good still outweigh what we would get in return for him unless GC or someone come in with a surprise offer. So I think we should keep him, but I don't blame others for being a bit fed up. My 4 year old daughter clunks them better than Paddy. He's got her covered on the set shots...just.

Petracca certainly isn’t a spud. Degoey is obviously better at the moment but either would make our side better. Degoey was never in the picture for pick one so we really didn’t miss out on him.

Brayshaw right up there too. Going to be a serious player.

Brayshaw right up there too. Going to be a serious player.
Brayshaw was the one we missed. And it would have been good for Andrew to have dropped down the list last year. We interviewed both 4+ times. Petracca not a dud, but flashes in and out of games. Mostly out.

From this point on I think we just have to treat McCartin like any other 22 year old forward who has kicked 34 goals in 35 games - play him if his form warrants it. Right now Battle and Marshall should be ahead in the pecking order because they've been playing better footy. In the long run we can confidently say that Membrey is a lock and then McCartin, Bruce, Marshall and Battle are competing for the other two spots. Battle has a great tank, sticky hands and is a reliable goalkicker, Bruce is a workhorse who will crash packs and wear out defenders, Marshall is the most versatile and tallest of them and McCartin is fairly crafty and strong. Those are the positives for each. Bruce needs to hold his marks and take his chances, Marshall and Battle need to prove themselves against quality opposition and McCartin needs to drastically improve his fitness and mobility.

The fact is, that draft was just a pretty poor one. As a player generally, Paddy isn't great. But really, for that draft, he's fine. We were just unlucky, that that was the year we finished last. My, how unlike us...

IF Paddy is going to make it, then it probably won't be obvious for another 2-3 years, and this might not be any fault of Paddy's. Because of that, trading him for a pittance this year would be ridiculous, unless there is pertinent information only known within the club.
Strahany…..that is a great informative read.

Paddy is certainly up "against it" on several fronts.

He appears from yr post to have a mini mountain of issues to navigate thru.

If somehow down the track he turns out to be the player we had hoped for or even near that....it will certainly be some achievement.

I honestly expected him to kick 500 goals in his career and to have a career roughly on par with Tex, a good- very good key forward that will be remembered fondly but no where near an all time great. At this stage I’d be happy to get 150-200 games and around 350 goals from him :(
My mind sometimes wanders back to that huge pack mark he took against the Hawks late in the 2016 game in Tassie.

I dared to dream about things after that day...…..I still dream...….but it may take a lot longer than I thought it would.

I'm still hoping Paddy will come good...….2-3 goals a game if achieved down the track would be a great result.

I haven't given up on him just yet.

The dropped marks/fumbles are a bit of a worry tho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact is, that draft was just a pretty poor one. As a player generally, Paddy isn't great. But really, for that draft, he's fine. We were just unlucky, that that was the year we finished last. My, how unlike us...

You say that but petracca Bradshaw or Degoey would improve our side. We went for the second best player because of the Boyd situation but McCarran is as much like Boyd as I am like Elle McPherson.

Only TAFKAWW could tell us that.
o43UpDTMkZAOVNfK1szdfNRpqakd9cJ4sTZVyx3jpCnDyN5EXZR_f90Gs5kQGsbE7lCyVw1mavVdxw-ZY0wc=w400-h225-nc

MYTBSO?**

** Must you two be so obscure?

DH, think you’ve spent way too much time using acronyms in your professional, law enforcement life. DUI, B&E etc....
Psychology is even worse, Sunny. If you know a doctor or a nurse, they can hold entire conversations in acronyms. Their notes are a nightmare to decipher. The one that always intrigued me was the term, NUPH - NUPH or Nuffie, which is a term used to describe a disturbed or insane person. Stands for Needs Urgent Psychiatric Help.

I remember Paul Roos saying 12-18 months ago he would've taken Brayshaw with pick 1 if the Dees had it... we are now finding out why.

Next year is make or break for Paddy. He'll be 23/24 by which age Tom Hawkins was starting to seriously impact game. Think Tom is a bit more athletic than Paddy but similar lead up/clunkers. Needs a crystal clear pre-season and shed excess fat.. key forwards can't be 1 lead forwards... they need multiple leads, push off burst leads to find space.. something Paddy doesn't do well.

Not sure if you can use that excuse when you’ve got pick 1, particularly when the best three players from that draft all went top 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back