Opinion Which club is our biggest rival?

Who is our biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as they annoy me, at least Hawthorn fans have a reason to be cocky. What have Freo done to make their fans so cocky?
Making Geelong our bitch is a decent start.

You disagree?

When we started beating Geelong regularly I felt that we had finally made it.

Perhaps I rate your team higher than you do.

I will admit, Fremantle have had our measure and this is one of the major reasons for my displeasure with Chris Scott as coach. The man came from Fremantle. He had as much inside knowledge as you can possibly get. Players strength & weaknesses and yet, he struggles to find a solution to beat that team time after time after time.
It is not just under his reign we have struggled though. Go back to 2010, you guys got us then. We narrowly got out of jail the following season and post 2011, it's been a putrid record of 2-5!

What is even more infuriating, Fremantle are a household joke for most supporters of this sport. They are 'The Purple NTTAWWTs'. A team which has no winning culture to speak of. Even during the last four or so years when they have been at the peak of their powers, they have nothing to show for it and yet, they will always have the two winning finals against Geelong to pin that up on their bedroom walls. It's quite sickening and something I do honestly believe changes now that we have Simon Lloyd on board.

You disagree?

When we started beating Geelong regularly I felt that we had finally made it.

Perhaps I rate your team higher than you do.
We owned your tight little rusty sherif's badge for 20 years. It's now 3-2 your way in the last 5. Hardly beating us regularly.

I will admit, Fremantle have had our measure and this is one of the major reasons for my displeasure with Chris Scott as coach. The man came from Fremantle. He had as much inside knowledge as you can possibly get. Players strength & weaknesses and yet, he struggles to find a solution to beat that team time after time after time.
It is not just under his reign we have struggled though. Go back to 2010, you guys got us then. We narrowly got out of jail the following season and post 2011, it's been a putrid record of 2-5!

What is even more infuriating, Fremantle are a household joke for most supporters of this sport. They are 'The Purple NTTAWWTs'. A team which has no winning culture to speak of. Even during the last four or so years when they have been at the peak of their powers, they have nothing to show for it and yet, they will always have the two winning finals against Geelong to pin that up on their bedroom walls. It's quite sickening and something I do honestly believe changes now that we have Simon Lloyd on board.

A lot of Scott's inside knowledge was quickly eroded by Lyon's arrival in 2011.

The change of coach, game plan, and the emergence of some genuine talent to enforce Lyon's putrid game style meant that Scott has been dealing with a different animal since his time there.

A lot of Scott's inside knowledge was quickly eroded by Lyon's arrival in 2011.

The change of coach, game plan, and the emergence of some genuine talent to enforce Lyon's putrid game style meant that Scott has been dealing with a different animal since his time there.

same reasoning for why North Melbourne have Scott's measure as well then?
In fact, there are worse teams than us who are able to topple Fremantle of today. Strange. Perhaps another couple years and Chris and his coaches will finally crack Lyon's code.

In fact, there are worse teams than us who are able to topple Fremantle of today. Strange. Perhaps another couple years and Chris and his coaches will finally crack Lyon's code.

Yep, there might be lesser teams who can topple Freo, but so what? Teams sometimes have a bogey side that mightn't be as good on paper yet have the upper hand.

Our powers have also waned as age and injury have taken their toll. On the other hand Freo and North have improved.

I get you don't like Scott - we all get that - but lets see how we go this year. With an injection of youth, and barring injury, I expect our attacking style of play to re-gain the upper hand against the rubbish Lyon serves up.

Yep, there might be lesser teams who can topple Freo, but so what? Teams sometimes have a bogey side that mightn't be as good on paper yet have the upper hand.

Our powers have also waned as age and injury have taken their toll. On the other hand Freo and North have improved.

I get you don't like Scott - we all get that - but lets see how we go this year. With an injection of youth, and barring injury, I expect our attacking style of play to re-gain the upper hand against the rubbish Lyon serves up.
Yes we won the 2009 GF against St.K but we've struggled with Ross Lyon under our last two coaches.

Combined they are 8-9 against Ross. Our bogey coach for a while now.

The thing that bugs me most with Hawthorn is the loss in the Preliminary Final rendered that previous streak just about meaningless, Hawthorn definitely have bragging rights over us at the moment but if we spoiled their 4 peat we could change that (not necessarily win the flag, but just stop them from winning it!).

In terms of modern rivals, our list would go something like this IMO
1. Hawthorn
2. Freo
3. Collingwood
4. St. Kilda
It would be sweeter than a soup ladle of sugar to beat them in nxt yrs gf

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we might be Sandilands bitches,since 2012 we have only won the one game against your mob with him in the side,he's a terrific ruckman but at the same time the Cats brains trust have been void of idea's to try and counter him and slow to replace Ottens with a class big man.I can except you have had the wood on us the last 4 years but I think we may also now be closing that gap again and look forward to a better effort on our behalf in 2016.

Like who?

How many games in the 2015 H&A season did Freo lose? I think only 5......and who to? uhmmm....Hawthorn, West Coast, North, Richmond and the Power.

Which worse teams are we talking about here Bobby?? Given how s**t house you rate our team, I will be fascinated which of these teams you rate "worse teams" than us.

I'm sorry, but this appears to be just another vacuous assertion to support an attack on Scott.

You will have to do better than that.

How many games in the 2015 H&A season did Freo lose? I think only 5......and who to? uhmmm....Hawthorn, West Coast, North, Richmond and the Power.

Which worse teams are we talking about here Bobby?? Given how s**t house you rate our team, I will be fascinated which of these teams you rate "worse teams" than us.

I'm sorry, but this appears to be just another vacuous assertion to support an attack on Scott.

You will have to do better than that.

Why are using the 2015 season to mount a case David?
In my original post, I used the period 2012 - 2015 as that is when Fremantle have consistently toppled Geelong.

The teams Fremantle have lost to during that time are:
Sydney x 3, Carlton, Hawthorn x 6, West Coast x 3, Essendon x 2, Collingwood, Adelaide x 3, Geelong x 2, Richmond x 2, St Kilda x 2, North Melbourne x 2, Port Adelaide x 3.

You can see Hawthorn and Sydney have had their measure and that is to be expected as they are significantly better teams than Geelong but St Kilda isn't. Essendon isn't. West Coast isn't. Richmond isn't. Adelaide isn't and yet, they all have the same (or better) records than what Geelong has versus Fremantle.
This is clearly a coaching dilemma because surely St Kilda going 2-3 against them suggests it is not about better talent.

Like who?

St Kilda are 2-3
Adelaide are 3-4
West Coast are 3-5

Those are clearly better records than Geelong's 28% winning record and I'd argue all teams have been a step behind Geelong too.

I'd say we are very fortunate to have even won our last match as David Mundy, usually a dead eye dick, missed after the siren. They had no right to come back from four goals down in the last quarter in a low scoring affair but they did. That game illustrates Geelong in a nutshell to me and why they won't be doing as well as most fans believe next year.

Last edited:
Why are using the 2015 season to mount a case David?
In my original post, I used the period 2012 - 2015 as that is when Fremantle have consistently toppled Geelong.

The teams Fremantle have lost to during that time are:
Sydney x 3, Carlton, Hawthorn x 6, West Coast x 3, Essendon x 2, Collingwood, Adelaide x 3, Geelong x 2, Richmond x 2, St Kilda x 2, North Melbourne x 2, Port Adelaide x 3.

You can see Hawthorn and Sydney have had their measure and that is to be expected as they are significantly better teams than Geelong but St Kilda isn't. Essendon isn't. West Coast isn't. Richmond isn't. Adelaide isn't and yet, they all have the same (or better) records than what Geelong has versus Fremantle.
This is clearly a coaching dilemma because surely St Kilda going 2-3 against them suggests it is not about better talent.
You are aware one of those Saints losses was virtually a Peel thunder team. R23 2013....

OUT:Hayden Ballantyne (rested), Nick Suban (hamstring), Stephen Hill (hamstring), Michael Johnson (rested), Zac Clarke (rested), David Mundy (rested), Michael Walters (Knee), Lee Spurr (rested), Nathan Fyfe (Rested), Zac Dawson (rested)

Their 2014 loss is fair enough that was near full strength and lost.

Geelongs biggest rival

Hopefully one day its Geelong West

The Cats versus the Roosters - come on AFL make it happen - this is a no brainer - 40000 capacity stadium- packed every week

You are aware one of those Saints losses was virtually a Peel thunder team. R23 2013....

OUT:Hayden Ballantyne (rested), Nick Suban (hamstring), Stephen Hill (hamstring), Michael Johnson (rested), Zac Clarke (rested), David Mundy (rested), Michael Walters (Knee), Lee Spurr (rested), Nathan Fyfe (Rested), Zac Dawson (rested)

Their 2014 loss is fair enough that was near full strength and lost.

It doesn't matter NSFB. St Kilda still had to go out and win the game. And you make it sound like St Kilda had a formidable line up going into that game :p Saints were sitting in 16th position mate.
They not only won, they never let up and they annihilated them.

They did it again in r18, 2014 as they smashed them by 10 goals.

It does matter, those play that game with finals to tune up for the following week and they likely don't lose which would just leave one aberration in 2014.

we've also beaten Freo whilst they were resting players in 2013.

It does matter, those play that game with finals to tune up for the following week and they likely don't lose which would just leave one aberration in 2014.

we've also beaten Freo whilst they were resting players in 2013.

Oh I see. So facts aren't good enough and you are now resorting to that crystal ball of yours.

I'll reiterate, St Kilda beat them again the following season by 10 goals. A team which was sitting bottom of the ladder up against a team clinging to a top four berth.

Facts are they rested half their team for one of those wins but that doesn't suit your argument so it didn't matter apparently.

Played them earlier that season, full strength, and won by 5 goals. Also doesn't matter?

St Kilda are 2-3
Adelaide are 3-4
West Coast are 3-5

Those are clearly better records than Geelong's 28% winning record and I'd argue all teams have been a step behind Geelong too.

I'd say we are very fortunate to have even won our last match as David Mundy, usually a dead eye dick, missed after the siren. They had no right to come back from four goals down in the last quarter in a low scoring affair but they did. That game illustrates Geelong in a nutshell to me and why they won't be doing as well as most fans believe next year.

St.Kilda's two wins were when half the side stayed in Perth though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back