Which was the sweeter premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

DaveW

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Adelaide
For me its 1997. Nothing beats the first time around. And that whole finals series was amazing. The grand final kinda left me in a state of disbelief. That old cliche "it hasn't sunk in yet", that sportspeople use, well I know what they mean. Even though I'm just a pleb supporter, it really does take a while to realise whats been achieved!

On the other hand, 1998. It was great to prove the critics wrong, i.e. those who said we could never go back to back. But for me, as incredible as that second half turn around was - and as dead in the water as we looked after that Melbourne loss, I found there was just a little bit of "been there done that". So I guess I took 1998 for granted somewhat, kinda wish I hadn't.

Thoughts?

(late edit to fix up a typo)

Me personally was 1998.

At 1/2 time we were gone, I couldnt see us winning. Then completely destroying a team that had won 11 games on the trot, at full strength.. and seeing the "then bastard" wayne carey getting flogged by Peter Caven.. well it was just the best footy game I had ever seen!

97 was the best for me. As you said, theres nothing like the first time eh!

To be jeered at and given NO CHANCE by idiot commentators like Matthews and that one eyed biased excuse for a fourth umpire made the win even sweeter LOL

98 was unexpected. Back to Back is pretty rare and once we were there I knew we were a BIG chance.

People say North kicked em selves out of the game but the pressure exerted by the Crows , the rushed behinds, the easy Crow misses are all but forgotten too.

Im proud of the history and I reckon most Victorians were gobsmacked when the second cup runneth over.....the border:D :D though theyd be loath to admit it.

The first one was amazing, to win the last 2 finals away when no one gave us a chance was an unbelieveable feeling, and Jars' last quarter was nothing short of magical.

HOWEVER

For me, the second flag will always be the sweetest victory of all.....after the defeat at the hands of the Dees, absolutely no one gave us a snowball's chance in hell of winning 2 in a row.....they thought we'd fluked the first and were going to bow out of the finals in straight sets.....

We had to play away the last 5 weeks, last 3 matches were won away against the teams ranked 3rd, 2nd and 1st after the H&A and, as Bruce pointed out in the call right at the end, in 97 there were some doubts as to the legitimacy of the Saints (in regards to finals experience, hardness and overall quality) In 98, we beat the genuine article, a wonderful side, in great form, captained by the greatest player of our generation ;) And we beat them by 35 points going away.....doesn't get any sweeter than that.....

SEN-***KING-SATIONAL :D

I can't split them, as they were both enjoyable for different reasons. Winning in '97 really put the club on the map & gave us credibility, given '93 had been our only decent year up until then - also erasing the fustration of the Shaw years.

As KC mentions, '98 was amazing as we looked out of it at half time. I will never forget Benny Hart's effort in the 1st half protecting us against Pagan's paddock & making sure we still had some chance. Then in the 2nd half Macca & co show the Vics that '97 was no fluke.

Both hold great memories. Bring on 2003! :D :D

Originally posted by topjars
Come to think of it Benny was superb under the pressure of Big Barry Hall early in 97 too.

He's simply the BEST

Didn't Benny have Heatley after Jamo did his hammy? And didn't Cavo take BBB? I dunno.....amazingly, I haven't seen the 97 GF in a while :eek: so I don't doubt what you say topjars, you're probably right..... and Benny is the best at what he does :)

Originally posted by ant
For me, the second flag will always be the sweetest victory of all.....after the defeat at the hands of the Dees, absolutely no one gave us a snowball's chance in hell of winning 2 in a row.....they thought we'd fluked the first and were going to bow out of the finals in straight sets.....

We had to play away the last 5 weeks, last 3 matches were won away against the teams ranked 3rd, 2nd and 1st after the H&A and, as Bruce pointed out in the call right at the end, in 97 there were some doubts as to the legitimacy of the Saints (in regards to finals experience, hardness and overall quality) In 98, we beat the genuine article, a wonderful side, in great form, captained by the greatest player of our generation ;) And we beat them by 35 points going away.....doesn't get any sweeter than that.....

I agree with every bit of the above. On top of that I was there at the "G" (not spot) ;) in 98 sticking it right up them Vics. One of the greatest moments and feelings in my life - better than sex actually!!! Well nearly, anyway!!

Originally posted by ant

Didn't Benny have Heatley after Jamo did his hammy? And didn't Cavo take BBB? I dunno.....amazingly, I haven't seen the 97 GF in a while :eek: so I don't doubt what you say topjars, you're probably right..... and Benny is the best at what he does :)

That's how I remember 1997 too.........

I find them pretty hard to split too. That 2003 premiership will be a ripper though... :D We'll see.

Anyway, one of memories of 1997 was watching the Grand Final Footy Show and Eddie asking the knob panel to pick the winner.

Knob 1: St Kilda by 40 points.

Knob 2: St Kilda by 60 points!

Knob 3: No, no! St Kilda by 80 points!

Can't quite remember who the Knobs were but gee it got me going!! I wonder if they enjoyed that last Saturday in September?

Can't spilt them, they both hold great memories of against all the odds greatness by a young football club in the Adelaide Crows,

But for sheer ectasy & a near or***m feeling
can't go past the 97 prelim final against the doggies,

But i reckon the 3rd & 4th which are knocking on the door will be just as sensational,;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back