Opinion Who do you want to win the GF?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to disagree...

West Coast fans hatred for Victoria is gut churning and it only took a step up after that Grand Final win. Vic doesn't cop that level of bitching, hatred and rhetoric from any other state.

West Coast were the clear #2 side in the H&A season last year and demolished Richmond in our only meeting. All year it was can't win in Melbourne (undefeated), can't win at the MCG (undefeated) etc. Then all finals it was Richmond B2B, Melbourne fairy tale, red hot Pies after the prelim etc. Adam Simpson rightly pointed out after the GF that "all year it's never been about us". Does get a bit tiring when you finish 2nd, win a prelim and all anyone wants to talk about is the team that came 5th and hasn't won a final for 16 years. Or when you make a GF and there is a front page story about a drug controversy from a decade earlier...

Bias/hatred is overplayed but the footy media are very, very lazy. If it's not happening in their backyard it passes by the majority of them.

You have to be kidding.

I see it as the exact opposite.. Richmond Vs GWS will be rubbish. Richmond will win easy, and nobody will care except Richmond supporters. Pies Vs Richmond or even Pies Vs Geelong will be epic.

The ground will be a sellout regardless (even if GWS played Suns).

So for the TV audience, consider ...

(1) People who will watch the GF regardless

(2) People who will watch the GF depending on which teams are playing

i’d say that most of the people in category (2) are outside Victoria rather than inside Victoria, and most of the folks outside Victoria would rather see GWS play than not.

And for people complaining about Vic conspiracies.. there have been only 4 Grand Finals of Vic Vs Vic teams since 2001.

I don’t believe in Victorian conspiracies either.

There's a big difference between supporters being happy seeing their team win the flag and the insufferable nature of some supporter/poster bases who then decide that their team is the best thing since sliced bread, can do no wrong, absolutely must state this on every main board post and decry anyone who thinks differently. That insufferable behaviour is why some supporter groups on here are so hated. Real world behaviour of a similar variety is equally annoying.
The insufferable behaviour of winning fans on Big Footy is in direct proportion to the insufferable behaviour of all the losing fans, not to mention all the trolling the winning fans have had to endure in the years prior to their team winning the flag.

e.g. Richmond copped PLENTY of stick over the years, so the Tiger Army had every right to have massive gloat when their team finally won in 2017. Good on 'em for enjoying their time at the top these past few years. For 30 years, Tigers fans have had to watch on, green with envy as other clubs dominated the comp and opposition fans bragged about their clubs' superiority. Now it's Richmond's turn. So I don't begrudge them one bit. Lap it up, I say. Laugh in the faces of all the babies who can't handle it. Rub their noses in it.

The people who whine about fans of winning teams are just sooks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't mind seeing a Collingwood / Richmond grand final simply for the build up. Grand final week would be nuts.

After 30+ years of hard times very few people would begrudge Richmond fans a few years of success.

Losing grand finals by small margins time and time again is far more torturous than simply being crap for a couple of decades. I've seen 15 Collingwood grand finals for two wins. That right there is hard times. :'(

West Coast were the clear #2 side in the H&A season last year and demolished Richmond in our only meeting. All year it was can't win in Melbourne (undefeated), can't win at the MCG (undefeated) etc. Then all finals it was Richmond B2B, Melbourne fairy tale, red hot Pies after the prelim etc. Adam Simpson rightly pointed out after the GF that "all year it's never been about us". Does get a bit tiring when you finish 2nd, win a prelim and all anyone wants to talk about is the team that came 5th and hasn't won a final for 16 years. Or when you make a GF and there is a front page story about a drug controversy from a decade earlier...

Bias/hatred is overplayed but the footy media are very, very lazy. If it's not happening in their backyard it passes by the majority of them.

But surely in WA the same thing happens in reverse? I'm not in WA, but I couldn't imagine any love for Collingwood in the media over there. And I'm sure any negative story on players/club would be about Collingwood in WA papers.. not West Coast.

or am I wrong?

But surely in WA the same thing happens in reverse? I'm not in WA, but I couldn't imagine any love for Collingwood in the media over there. And I'm sure any negative story on players/club would be about Collingwood in WA papers.. not West Coast.

or am I wrong?

Yeah very Eagles/Dockers focused naturally.

or am I wrong?

Right and wrong. Unless it's a huge story involving Collingwood it won't tip WC off the back page. From March to October WC and Freo have a mortgage on the back page of The West. Slow news week in February and Nic Naitanui's pre season running will get a front cover.

The WA media is pretty awful, but it also just caters to WA and the WA clubs are far more popular here than anyone else. Sucks to live here and follow Brisbane or something unless you have Fox. Channel 7 Perth don't broadcast the games though, just simulcast really. Any game televised out of WA will have the same commentators as any other game with Matthew Pavlich or Xavier Ellis tagging along as token local guy.

The Melbourne footy media is by default the national media because it's the biggest market and most are based there. When your job is to cover an 18 team competition and you even fly around the country to call games you'd think you could at least learn the players' names.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back