Preview Who gets the old heave ho for Freo? - Rd 11, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for proving my point, fellas <3
Calling someone 'overrated' is a great thing to do on the internet, because if people agree with you it fits your argument and if people disagree with you it also fits your argument.

Calling someone 'overrated' is a great thing to do on the internet, because if people agree with you it fits your argument and if people disagree with you it also fits your argument.

Thanks, I was unaware of this rudimentary law of hot takage.

roger james was so underrated that he was overrated, which also made him underrated.

wait

I liked Roger James.
I remember Roger displaying his unique ball skills on TV one day after training. He could balance a spinning football on one of his fingers and keep the ball spinning for quite a while.
Yeh, I know it was a special Roger James party trick but it still took a lot of skill to complete.

I don't think Hartlett is overrated but I think he's massively underachieved in his career. Injury hasn't helped but a most of it is on him. I still think he's best 22 if he gets his form back.

James has the 2nd biggest reputation to performance differential across our AFL journey IMO. The biggest: Byron Pickett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Hartlett is overrated but I think he's massively underachieved in his career. Injury hasn't helped but a most of it is on him. I still think he's best 22 if he gets his form back.

James has the 2nd biggest reputation to performance differential across our AFL journey IMO. The biggest: Byron Pickett.
On your point, doesn't a player have to be overrated at some point to underachieve? That is, at some point the fans/media have predicted his potential to be actually higher than it is and as a result our expectations of him are too high/unachievable.

That being said, I like Hamish and think he has been given a hard run by the fans especially this year. Stats don't say everything but in this case the stats say that he has had a pretty good career. Could it have been better...maybe, but generally speaking he has given very good service to the club and even now at his best is a handy player.

People will always think of Hartlett with that "what if" scenario in the back of their minds of him turning out to be that smooth-moving, booming kick of an elite midfielder that he showed in his early days. Injury stopped him from getting a clean run at it and by the time his body started to hold up he wasn't going to displace one of Robbie, Trav or Wines in the middle. Has carved out a more than serviceable end to his career as a tough half-back, never shirks a contest and still kicks some massive goals. Has just lost that yard of pace this year with Jones and Bergman overtaking him.

Will never forget him taking that massive bump in the 2014 EF v Richmond to get us another goal. Put his body on the line as a leader does, not to mention in the Bars as well.

I bet Pinbutty's question was along the lines of "Why are you playing so s**t this year Hamish ?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back