Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

GWS lost to Carlton missing key players. That doesn't make them any less of a contender.

Carltons best can beat anyone you would be stupid to suggest it wasn't good enough to compete with all of those sides. It's just becoming more and more obvious like last year it won't be sustained for long enough to make top 4 and therefore give themselves the best shot at a flag.
It can beat “anyone” in the same sense as West Coast’s can bean anyone too.

When big games and heated finals roll around however, the mighty Blues will not come to play.

McGovern is not a key defender. 6ft'3 utility but again, you bring another tall, how do you play all these tall guys as you already have a fairly slow team.
Interesting to see how Voss gets around this.
We didn't lose today because we need another key defender. We lost because we weren't able to move the ball effectively from D50 - that is exactly what Gov/Saad bring.

Every team has injuries. Collingwood tonight includes. Suck it up.

I haven't complained about injuries. None of them have really been down to bad luck it's more carrying injury prone players and poor conditioning so it's hard to complain.

This team has beaten all of Collingwood, GWS, Sydney, Melbourne, Geelong, Port over the last 12 months so it would be stupid to suggest we can only compete if those sides have big outs or we grt lucky. You're never going to win them all.

It can beat “anyone” in the same sense as West Coast’s can bean anyone too.

When big games and heated finals roll around however, the mighty Blues will not come to play.

That has been proven incorrect recently. As I said above you can't win them all but only Carlton seems to be expected to.

Gonna be a weird couple of weeks on the internet with Geelong and Collingwood supporters being best mates.
There's never really been animosity between Cats and Pies supporters despite many close matches including finals. Likely because we both just get on with accepting losses rather than screeching "the best side lost!". Or swapping injury lists and umpiring incident reviews.

A few Carlton posters have tried to do their best Richmond supporter impressions with the cringe worthy chest beating. That'll always be called out, by any supporter base.

That has been proven incorrect recently. As I said above you can't win them all but only Carlton seems to be expected to.
Collingwood continue to be the benchmark team of the competition and your only “win” against them since 2021 was a dead rubber

You have a lot to prove

McGovern is not a key defender. 6ft'3 utility but again, you bring him in and how do you play all these talls as you already have a slow team. Particularly the midfield.
Interesting to see how Voss gets around this.

McGovern is our CHB and a pretty decent one at that most sides play a more mobile second tall. Voss seems to rate Marchbank but I personally don't have a heap of time for him.

Young will come out as he was only in to compete with Cox whilst Weiteirng played on Mihocek. Then I assume they will add Kemp as the third tall, only dropped because the Pies don't really have a recognised third marking target with McStay out. heck Elliot makes a good go of it though.

Collingwood continue to be the benchmark team of the competition and your only “win” against them since 2021 was a dead rubber

You have a lot to prove

All of Carltons wins have a massive asterisk next to them and all of their losses are the actual reflection of where they're at.

Gotcha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve thought all season the hype around us has been a bit overdone. I think the win against GWS was good. Other than that and North, we don’t put teams away. We were lucky against Richmond. We were lucky against Fremantle. We lost to Adelaide. I don’t know how we went in as clear favourites tonight. We have a long way to go. Collingwood seemed to be all over us tonight and the scoreboard absolutely flattered us. We have some good players, but we don’t play four quarters and we are inconsistent. Obviously still a lot of season to fix our issues, but I’ve just struggled a bit to see the hype a lot of people and the media have had for us this year.

There's never really been animosity between Cats and Pies supporters despite many close matches including finals. Likely because we both just get on with accepting losses rather than screeching "the best side lost!". Or swapping injury lists and umpiring incident reviews.

A few Carlton posters have tried to do their best Richmond supporter impressions with the cringe worthy chest beating. That'll always be called out, by any supporter base.
Yeh no Collingwood and Geelong fans whinge about umpiring and injuries

Not sure why you're using my post to go on a tangent about that, but most Pies supporters I know despise you lot with more passion than they do any other team. That's why I find it odd.

McGovern is our CHB and a pretty decent one at that most sides play a more mobile second tall. Voss seems to rate Marchbank but I personally don't have a heap of time for him.

Young will come out as he was only in to compete with Cox whilst Weiteirng played on Mihocek. Then I assume they will add Kemp as the third tall, only dropped because the Pies don't really have a recognised third marking target with McStay out. * Elliot makes a good go of it though.

You have a bloody average back six. Weitering the clear stand out. McGovern at CHB doesn't matter.
Maybe put McKay behind the ball as Curnow one out draws everyone and opens up the fifty.

Then again, Curnow's dropped behind the ball many times and looked quite at home. You rob Peter to save Paul . . . but at least it gives you two legitimate aerial guns who can stifle the best forward lines there are.

Back