Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

And this is why I love Carlton supporters.
It was the umpires!!
Not players that are slow and only run one way.
Not lacking a plan B.
Not overrating your playing list.
Not having a 21yo superstar to win you games.

Yep it is the umpires.

We should do a poll on who the umpires hate the most - Carlton or Richmond.
You've replied to me so pick out where I've ever blamed the umpires,

Last edited:
Back to the footy talk though.

Have the “Blueshakes” started early this year? Melbourne, Swans away, Port away and Essendon are 4 of next 5

Might be hitting the bye with some work to do this year will the Baggers.
You beat us by 6 points after a 9 day break, Pies have some work to do as well, anyway let the Geelong bloke do your talking.

You've replied to me so pick out where I've ever blamed the umpires, I'll shall wait.
Umm probably in the post I quoted :think: .

It was however brought to my attention that you may have been a tad sarcastic, though I can never tell with you guys.
If that was the case, I apologize, as you obviously realize it isn't the umpires and just the four facts that I pointed out.

Carry on.

Umm probably in the post I quoted :think: .

It was however brought to my attention that you may have been a tad sarcastic, though I can never tell with you guys.
If that was the case, I apologize, as you obviously realize it isn't the umpires and just the four facts that I pointed out.

Carry on.
Ok mate.

Exactly.

Off-season.

Carlton fans - next year is our year, we have all the champions.
Pie fans - you say that every year but the Pies finish higher, next year will be no different.
Carlton fans, have you forgotten that we beat you in the 70s!

During season

Both fan bases get way too excited by a couple of wins and puff their chest out way too early.
Carlton fans obsess over anything and everything Fadge posts.

Finals

Pie fans, told you so
Carlton fans, who cares, you didnt win the flag and 16 > 15 is all that matters
FlagPie fans (2023 version), 16 > 16 you got nothing now

Rinse and repeat
If you ever hear me say "we have all the champions" I give you permission to shoot me. And let's not rewrite history here. The Pies supporters bring up the past just as much as anyone.

Exactly.

Off-season.

Pie fans - you say that every year but the Pies finish higher, next year will be no different.

During season

Both fan bases get way too excited by a couple of wins and puff their chest out way too early.

Finals

Pie fans, told you so

Rinse and repeat
Some weird stuff gets posted, that's for sure...

assassination nation wtf GIF by NEON

If you ever hear me say "we have all the champions" I give you permission to shoot me.
Not those exact words, but the justification for why "next year" will finally be the Baggers is a heavy focus on top end talent and big names.

And let's not rewrite history here. The Pies supporters bring up the past just as much as anyone.
Yes, Collingwood have finished higher in 20 of the last 22 seasons - which was covered by this line in the off season theme.

Carlton fans then head into VFL archives

Not those exact words, but the justification for why "next year" will finally be the Baggers is a heavy focus on top end talent and big names.
I can't speak for others but this was never my justification. I did have Carlton higher this season but both teams in my top 4. I came to this conclusion based on me thinking our top 30 overall was a bit better than yours. And with your list being older I expected a slight drop off in performance from those 30+ year olds that play regular football.

Now it's round 8 and I don't think either team has played at their best yet and still expect both teams to do well this year. But way too early to start saying certain pre-season predictions are right or wrong imo - especially given how even this season has been amongst the top 8-10 teams.

I can't speak for others but this was never my justification. I did have Carlton higher this season but both teams in my top 4. I came to this conclusion based on me thinking our top 30 overall was a bit better than yours. And with your list being older I expected a slight drop off in performance from those 30+ year olds that play regular football.

Now it's round 8 and I don't think either team has played at their best yet and still expect both teams to do well this year. But way too early to start saying certain pre-season predictions are right or wrong imo - especially given how even this season has been amongst the top 8-10 teams.
I would like to see you elaborate on this.

I would like to see you elaborate on this.
So for context I had Carlton 2nd and Collingwood 3rd on my pre-season ladder so not much of a difference at all.

I thought the best 22s of both teams were roughly the same but with Collingwood having a more experienced core and upwards of 8 or 9 30+ year olds. And so I was expecting a drop off in performance from that core group of players. Then I looked at the next 10 or so Pies players that would be your depth and I just wasn't seeing many with exposed form at the level. Players like Macrae, Harrison, McInnes, Sullivan, Dean, etc had not played much AFL football and were almost unknown quantities. Add the injury to McStay who would be the main player who would bring the ball down to your smalls and I expected a drop off in performance.

Carlton I thought because of their extensive injury history had more players not in the 22 that had exposed AFL form. The likes of Durdin, Owies, Young, Hollands, Cuningham, Fogarty, Marchbank etc despite not being world beaters had all played significant stretches of AFL football and were still stronger depth imo then the Pies players above. I was also hoping for a better run with injury this year compared to previous years which has not started off great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly.

Off-season.

During season

Finals

Pie fans, told you so

Rinse and repeat

OOo can I play

2022, my analysis tells me only 8 wins, no more, something something SOS - 12 wins

2023, won't make finals, finish 11th, something something SOS - Finals

Will lose EF, see above

2024, 16th something something SOS.....

And this is why I love Carlton supporters.
It was the umpires!!
Not players that are slow and only run one way.
Not lacking a plan B.
Not overrating your playing list.
Not having a 21yo superstar to win you games.

Yep it is the umpires.

We should do a poll on who the umpires hate the most - Carlton or Richmond.

200.gif

Interesting that Kingy's headline on 360 tonight was 'Brittle Blues', specifically in reference to their on-ballers, after we've been hearing all off season about how tough Carlton's midfield of Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, etc. are, and conversely how 'squibby' Daicos is.

Interesting.

This was David King on the 29th of April 2024. He is the ultimate flip flopper. One week your the best team in the comp and then the next you are no longer in the premiership race.
View attachment 1983182
Clickbait media, brought to you by King

Pies win by a kick, they did X well, Blues did Y poorly

Reverse the result, reverse the analysis

Amazingly happened as more data became available, including having to play better quality teams.

Not the direction a team would want to be heading in as a season evolves....
It was two games between those statements. The only reason King flip flops so much is he goes way too early with his calls. To say 2 weeks ago that only 3 teams are in the premiership race is ridiculous

It was two games between those statements. The only reason King flip flops so much is he goes way too early with his calls. To say 2 weeks ago that only 3 teams are in the premiership race is ridiculous
So he's seen the error of his ways now that more data is available.

I thought at the time when he said it, if I could get even money about the rest of the field, I'd be all over it.

Back