Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

Collingwood still have the pedigree and premiership in the bag..

Frankly I am a lot more worried about being the team that ends up ending Essendon's historic 7000 plus losing streak than being 'better' than Collingwood.

That would be as bitter pill to swallow as our wooden spoon years.

Fly has never been tested this hard with injuries, yet the footy is beautiful and the results keep coming.

The best clubs can execute their winning game plan no matter who is out there, and don’t cry when a handful of depth players miss a couple of games.
Really?

I remember a stretch of games last year where we barely had a player over 185cm available for selection?

And yet, all Collingwood fans are left hanging on to is 'turn of the century'!

We are not even one quarter of the way through it. Any club could end up finding themselves in a bigger ditch with 76 years still yet to play out. Pretty small sample size if you ask me.

And I tell you this, it most certainly backfire on those poor pies fans. Because when Carlton win their next flag (and they will in the future), people are going to be remembering that flag so much more than any of Collingwood's today.

It will be a true story of recovery and redemption. Probably would make global news. Riding the absolute pain and heartaches makes glory taste all the more sweeter.

And yet, all Collingwood fans are left hanging on to is 'turn of the century'!

We are not even one quarter of the way through it. Any club could end up finding themselves in a bigger ditch with 76 years still yet to play out. Pretty small sample size if you ask me.

And I tell you this, it most certainly backfire on those poor pies fans. Because when Carlton win their next flag (and they will in the future), people are going to be remembering that flag so much more than any of Collingwood's today.

It will be a true story of recovery and redemption. Probably would make global news. Riding the absolute pain and heartaches makes glory taste all the more sweeter.
It’s one thing to celebrate flags won before you were born. It’s another to celebrate ones won after you’re gone.

Unlikely.

5 spoons already - more than twice as many as the next most - and zero Grand Final appearances.

Carlton have a significant lead on all other comers.

Oh yes.

I forgot that a flag won after more than two decades (and counting) of absolute mediocrity is worth more than other flags...

Fly has never been tested this hard with injuries, yet the footy is beautiful and the results keep coming.

The best clubs can execute their winning game plan no matter who is out there, and don’t cry when a handful of depth players miss a couple of games.
First line you're whinging about injuries 2nd line you're telling us not to whinge about injuries.

Last edited:
Collingwood still have the pedigree and premiership in the bag..

Frankly I am a lot more worried about being the team that ends up ending Essendon's historic 7000 plus losing streak than being 'better' than Collingwood.

That would be as bitter pill to swallow as our wooden spoon years.
Is that you mate?

If both teams are on 16 Premierships, a 36% Grand Final strike rate means a significant amount more games won in the non premiership years.

So any logical person would have Collingwood's performances since the beginning of time, over Carlton's....

Unless you would prefer your team to win a spoon, than lose a Grand Final, for example.

I reckon I would rather finish last a couple of times, less pain involved than being deceived into thinking a team are world-beaters every 3 years, only to return a strike rate of 29% since 2000 (since you seem to love that time frame so much).
Makes for a more celebrated story.
Ever heard of 'short term pain for long term gain'.

Don't even think putting your club next to Sydney and Geelong for they have never dipped for as long in the modern era?

Wins and losses don't account for much in a season if they are not decorated with flags. And they certainly have had more or have proven more formidable to achieve theirs.

Collingwood had to rely on a replay to win 2010.
They thought they were all that in 2011, only to be Geelong's bunnies throughout that entire year.
Got showed up by an interstate team in 2018 and had everything fortunately fall in their lap for last year's flag.

And you know what... good on them. They took their chances. But nothing about this team screams dynasty at this point in time. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I just don't see it now. Perhaps you pump up their tyres too much.

I don't think anyone is envious of them. I sure am not. There is going to be one premier every year. A different one most times. My team's time will come (when is the question), and when it does, I will savour every bit of it like I know I would.

I reckon I would rather finish last a couple of times, less pain involved than being deceived into thinking a team are world-beaters every 3 years, only to return a strike rate of 29% since 2000 (since you seem to love that time frame so much).
Makes for a more celebrated story.
Ever heard of 'short term pain for long term gain'.

Don't even think putting your club next to Sydney and Geelong for they have never dipped for as long in the modern era?

Wins and losses don't account for much in a season if they are not decorated with flags. And they certainly have had more or have proven more formidable to achieve theirs.

Collingwood had to rely on a replay to win 2010.
They thought they were all that in 2011, only to be Geelong's bunnies throughout that entire year.
Got showed up by an interstate team in 2018 and had everything fortunately fall in their lap for last year's flag.

And you know what... good on them. They took their chances. But nothing about this team screams dynasty at this point in time. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I just don't see it now. Perhaps you pump up their tyres too much.

I don't think anyone is envious of them. I sure am not. There is going to be one premier every year. A different one most times. My team's time will come (when is the question), and when it does, I will savour every bit of it like I know I would.
Keep kidding yourself, it's very cute.

'Short term pain' - it's been more than two decades!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s one thing to celebrate flags won before you were born. It’s another to celebrate ones won after you’re gone.
A working class peasant such as yourself trying to approach me as a self-qualified fortune teller.

Give me next week's lotto numbers while you are at it.

Collingwood's flag did not gift you the superpower of foresight.

Save your breath.

A working class peasant such as yourself trying to approach me as a self-qualified fortune teller.

Give me next week's lotto numbers while you are at it.

Collingwood's flag did not gift you the superpower of foresight.

Save your breath.
Okay old timer

Standard Carlton supporter loser mentality. Why be CEO when you can just dumpster dive?

Peak deluded Carlton logic.

Carlton fans prefer seeing their team claim 5 spoons and be an easy beat for 20 years, over making finals more often than not just so they dont lose a Grand Final.

It’s not whinging, lad. It’s an acknowledgement.

You Collingwood supporters are so shallow-minded it is hilarious.

Apparently every player injured needs to be a Weitering or Cripps for blues to matter. It's all about the level of talent. Forget about the structure or the important roles they play.

We have you fools bringing up the team's record with Walsh in the side and trying to call him a shit player.

But what's this? Our record with Fogarty in the line-up across this last season and a half:

14 wins out of 16 games. 88%

Our newly rediscovered defensive lockdown forward who without him has since seen the team struggling to lock the ball inside attacking 50.

But no, he is a spud and wouldn't get a game in the district league. Am I doing this right?

How exactly did we make a prelim last year? Enlighten us oh mighty one.

Carlton fans prefer seeing their team claim 5 spoons and be an easy beat for 20 years, over making finals more often than not just so they dont lose a Grand Final.
Meh it's a sign that we're back in business again when the Collingwood crowd are mouthing off about spoons.

We're coping ok at the moment considering the players we have unavailable. You might be licking your wounds before the year is out mate.;)

Peak deluded Collingwood logic. Settling for endless 'almosts' and 'so closes' but getting very little over the last 20 years. Maybe take the advice of your own team's colours. There are no rewards for 2002, 2003, 2011 or 2018. You join the rest of the losers in those seasons.

You try so hard to puff your chests out but are still blown off your feet.

First line you're whinging about injuries 2nd line you're telling us not to whinge about injuries.
The hypocrisy is laughable - acknowledging injuries impact team performance does not mean they are an excuse for any performance. Carlton are 6-3 with injuries this year so have coped just fine - Pies are 1-0 (against the Eagles) and have coped well. It's not a competition.

Back