Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

Id go with 2018 and the 5th spoon in 17 seasons, when Melbourne, Port, Sydney, Hawthorn, Fremantle and Geelong pulled bigger home crowds as the year that confirmed Carlton as being AFL irrelevant and a minnow.

Others might go earlier or when Carlton started getting financial handouts from the AFL.

It is only the big AFL clubs - Collingwood, Richmond, West Coast and Hawthorn - who remain on base rates.
No Idea Neon Rated GIF by NEON

Last edited:
No idea, I wasnt around 60 years ago.

I have seen Carlton claim 5 spoons and cop 100+ point beltings by 11 different teams this century. Like most, I just pity Carlton. Nobody deserves to be so poor for so long.

It was heart warming seeing how excited Carlton fans were last year coming 5th and winning an elimination final.

Like that little kid in under 14s who has never ever kicked a goal, getting a jo the goose in the goal square to dribble one through and everyone getting excited.

I think everyone had a smile and felt good for Carlton to finally get off the bottom and get their lick of the ice-cream.
Being patronized by a supporter of a club that's only won three flags in the last sixty odd years. Now that is funny.:laughv1:

For a crusty old Bagger you do really need to learn some history. There is more to the league than just the era you grew up in.

Fitzroy were the early on-field powerhouse, they lead the league premiership table until Collingwood surged past.

Fitzroy were the first team to claim
2 flags
3 flags
4 flags
5 flags
6 flags
7 flags

Fitzroy were the 2nd quickest team to 300 wins (behind Collingwood).

For the first 70 years of the comp, Fitzroy had more or equal flags to Carlton.

Fitzroy were the early power up til the 30s, who then fizzled and only won 1 more flag.

Then it was Melbourne that then were the dominant force winning 10 flags in 26 years to see them challenge Collingwood with the most flags.

Melbourne were the 40s to mid 60s power, who fizzled and have only won one more flag.

Carlton were the late 60s to mid 80s power. They too have who fizzled and have only won one more flag.

It is the same pattern.

And all along it was the Pies who kept keeping on, we were losing GFs to Fitzroy early, losing GFs to Melbourne in the 50s and 50s and then losing GFs to Carlton.

Carlton are old has beens still stuck in the past, that have been completely irrelevant in 21st century professional AFL era.

You just dont realise (unwilling to grasp) that once great teams / clubs fizzle if they are inept for long enough.

I do feel for most Pie supporters born from 1960 onward, Blues, Hawks, Cats, Tigers, Bombers, North, Eagles, have all been around for more flags

I'm sure we all enjoy being crusty 😁

First line you're whinging about injuries 2nd line you're telling us not to whinge about injuries.
He's not whinging about injuries, he was taking a backhand jab at supporters that use injuries to justify a loss. He then makes a statement that successful teams are able to be competitive despite injuries and uses the fact that Collingwood have injuries to key players over the last season and a half, yet have still been competitive to validate his belief that Collingwood will be a successful team in 2024.

Id go with 2018 and the 5th spoon in 17 seasons, when Melbourne, Port, Sydney, Hawthorn, Fremantle and Geelong pulled bigger home crowds as the year that confirmed Carlton as being AFL irrelevant and a minnow.

Others might go earli
No Idea Neon Rated GIF by NEON
er or when Carlton started getting financial handouts from the AFL.

It is only the big AFL clubs - Collingwood, Richmond, West Coast and Hawthorn - who remain on base rates.
Lol, you have West Coast in there right now despite drawing 25k less per game for this current season.

Being patronized by a supporter of a club that's only won three flags in the last sixty odd years. Now that is funny.:laughv1:
It is a bit hard to not be patronizing when talking about a club who hasn't even made a Grand Final and instead claimed 5 spoons in the 21st century.

ALL clubs (except the Suns) have been superior.

He's not whinging about injuries, he was taking a backhand jab at supporters that use injuries to justify a loss. He then makes a statement that successful teams are able to be competitive despite injuries and uses the fact that Collingwood have injuries to key players over the last season and a half, yet have still been competitive to validate his belief that Collingwood will be a successful team in 2024.
100%

We managed to win the flag by being decimated at one point or another throughout the season and still won the premiership. And as of now our injury list is much greater then Carlton’s with better players on that list.

I haven’t heard any Collingwood posters whinge once, even when we played you guys without our 2nd best player and best clearance player. All we’ve heard all year is Carlton whinging about there injuries.

Good sides are able to ride injuries with depth and good structures and gameplans.

And we’ve also heard nothing from the depth discussions after the impressive showings by our non existent depth “apparently”.

100%

We managed to win the flag by being decimated at one point or another throughout the season and still won the premiership. And as of now our injury list is much greater then Carlton’s with better players on that list.

I haven’t heard any Collingwood posters whinge once, even when we played you guys without our 2nd best player and best clearance player. All we’ve heard all year is Carlton whinging about there injuries.

Good sides are able to ride injuries with depth and good structures and gameplans.

And we’ve also heard nothing from the depth discussions after the impressive showings by our non existent depth “apparently”.
You played west coast. The depth discussion isn't really valid until you play against decent sides
How do you think you would've gone against Sydney this week ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take your own words as advice.

History. That is all it is. Even the last 20 years you Carlton fans are constantly creaming yourselves over.

All your 'argh so close' moments are not awards. They have amounted to nothing.

I have faith in you here. You'll come to graduate after this one of few lessons needing to be learned.
EFA

And I also look forward to next week when the ladder retakes order and you peasants are below us again, all whilst us playing s**t footy and you guys playing your absolute best.
Our VFL boys who just lost to Preston would give these champions a run for their money

"oh but bro Saad is out bro come on bro we're decimated with injuries"

100%

Who has used injuries as the reason Carlton lost a game this year? Discussing injuries and the impact they have doesn't mean that is the sole reason for a loss. Of course it can have a significant impact especially when playing high quality teams but once again it is never the main reason for a poor performance. The fact that Carlton made it to a PF last year and have started the season 6-3 shows they have the depth to cover the significant injuries they have copped.

On Collingwood, yes you were significantly short-handed yesterday against the Eagles at home. But looking at your injury list it looks like you will get most back either this week against the Crows (at home) or the following one against Freo. You can cover injuries more easily when it is 1-2 weeks - much harder when you need to do it consistently against the best teams. Do you think people's opinions suddenly change about depth because of one performance against the Eagles?

Last edited:
Who has used injuries as the reason Carlton lost a game this year? Discussing injuries and the impact they have doesn't mean that is the sole reason for a loss. Of course it can have a significant impact especially when playing high quality teams but once again it is never the main reason for a poor performance. The fact that Carlton made it to a PF last year and have started the season 6-3 shows they have the depth to cover the significant injuries they have copped.

On Collingwood, yes you were significantly short-handed yesterday against the Eagles at home. But looking at your injury list it looks like you will get most back either this week against the Crows (at home) or the following one against Freo. Do you think people's opinions suddenly change about depth because of one performance against the Eagles?
May premiers for beating the Eagles lol.

100%

You beat West Coast in Melbourne lol.

It is a bit hard to not be patronizing when talking about a club who hasn't even made a Grand Final and instead claimed 5 spoons in the 21st century.

ALL clubs (except the Suns) have been superior.
As i said i know we're going good when the likes of yourself, are reduced to blathering away about spoons.;)

Back