Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

'Collingwood and Essendon entrusted with the prime time games for the remainder of the 2024 fixture...'

The bean counters at AFL HQ know who the Powerhouse teams are.
Take all the Friday nights yall want - can't stand Friday night footy

All losing grand finals including 2 to us. Don't ever change. We have been a far superior club since I've been around .

The youngest Carlton premiership player is 48 years old.

Carlton are good this season, and were good at the tail end of last year. That doesn't wipe out 20 plus years of complete ineptitude. Collingwood have never come close to having a terrible 20 years and have largely always been competitive.

When I grew up watching footy in the 90s, the argument over which club was better wasn't close. It was Carlton. But 25 odd years later, that's completely swapped around. It isn't close. Collingwood is a better club. It's irrelevant who finishes higher this year, you cant wipe out twenty years of complete shiteness.

Carlton are good this season, and were good at the tail end of last year. That doesn't wipe out 20 plus years of complete ineptitude. Collingwood have never come close to having a terrible 20 years and have largely always been competitive.

When I grew up watching footy in the 90s, the argument over which club was better wasn't close. It was Carlton. But 25 odd years later, that's completely swapped around. It isn't close. Collingwood is a better club. It's irrelevant who finishes higher this year, you cant wipe out twenty years of complete shiteness.
Again, very selective with the old 20 year time span. Same repetitive rubbish daily.
Please don't bother quoting my post. I will remove myself from this thread until the end of the year when I will come back to congratulate or commiserate

There's more to the Carlton Football Club than the last twenty years. It's a one hundred and sixty year old institution.

A Carlton flag either this year or next will wipe out the last twenty two years for me anyway!

Again, very selective with the old 20 year time span. Same repetitive rubbish daily.
Please don't bother quoting my post. I will remove myself from this thread until the end of the year when I will come back to congratulate or commiserate

I shall anyway, very selective with a 20 year time span actually being the last 20 years? I would have thought that just common sense.

There's more to the Carlton Football Club than the last twenty years. It's a one hundred and sixty year old institution.

A Carlton flag either this year or next will wipe out the last twenty two years for me anyway!

There absolutely is, a hundred years of relative competitiveness and success...in an amateur competition. Since the game has become full time professional, the Blues have not graduated from the ammos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There absolutely is, a hundred years of relative competitiveness and success...in an amateur competition. Since the game has become full time professional, the Blues have not graduated from the ammos.
Hold it there a second buddy. Are you saying that your clubs greatest ever era of success is an irrelevance?

As for relative success up until last year we had more flags. So that really isn't a well thought out post at all!

I shall anyway, very selective with a 20 year time span actually being the last 20 years? I would have thought that just common sense.

I'm still amazed, that the juggernaut that is Collingwood, took only 4 decades to draw level in the number of flags

And such a dominant 6 decades to record a massive total of 3 flags

Hold it there a second buddy. Are you saying that your clubs greatest ever era of success is an irrelevance?

As for relative success up until last year we had more flags. So that really isn't a well thought out post at all!

Not an irrelevance, but yeah, I consider Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney and WCE as the most successful teams of the professional era, along with Collingwood. Not just premierships won, but competitiveness since the mid 90s.

Not an irrelevance, but yeah, I consider Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney and WCE as the most successful teams of the professional era, along with Collingwood. Not just premierships won, but competitiveness since the mid 90s.
In terms of flag winning consistency, i'd still have you behind the Hawks and the Cats with regards to the AFL era.

You would be surprised what Guinness can do mate.

Doesn't matter how you want to look at it, that round 20 win stays in the record books forever.

Fun facts in relation to this so called professional era

1986. First ever draft

1987. Bears and Eagles are introduced to the league, making it a 14 team competition

1990. The competition changed from VFL to AFL, by name only

So, the actual start of this so called professional era was the end of 1986, Carlton have won 2 flags, the Pies 3

I don't think there would be one Carlton supporter that would suggest anything other than us being poor at best over the last 2 decades

But the way some Pie supporters carry on like they are some generational side in this so called "professional era" is delusional

1958, 1990, 2010 and 2023. With regards to the modern era, Collingwood wouldn't know a premiership dynasty even if it smacked them on the face.:laughv1:
Seniors VFL/AFL (16) 1902 1903 1910 1917 1919 1927 1928 1929 1930 1935 1936 1953 1958 1990 2010 2023 VFA/VFL (1) 1896 Reserves VFL/AFL Reserves (7) 1919 1920 1922 1925 1940 1965 1976 VFLW (1) 2019

But it's you blokes who keep bringing up the past and it's lack of relevance, There are dynasties coming out of our ass if you want to go back and check. If you want to bring up the past 20 odd years, then we have won 2 more flags than you and while you guys are all sipping coffee at the races every september

Back