Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

We're dealing with a child here, anyway Port resting half their side means it was a meaningless game for them doesn't it?
Are you disputing the fact Port turned up to Marvel Stadium with a less than full strength team against Carlton, as they wanted to ensure they could put their best foot forward at home against a genuine premiership contender - the team they were at the time challenging for top spot - the following week?

Given the results of both games, I suspect they'd do things differently if they had the chance...

Last edited:
Are you disputing the fact they turned up to Marvel Stadium with a less than full strength team, as they wanted to ensure they could put their best foot forward at home against a genuine premiership contender - the team they were at the time challenging for top spot - the following week?
Did i say i was disputing the fact?

With regards to the Moran thing the grandfathers name was Leo Brooks. As well as doorman he was a close friend and confidant of the players.

He also provided housing for the interstate recruits. He's a life member of Carlton as well.

What week is the qualifying finals played ?

In the first week, between the top 4 sides

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is really useful info.

I'm gonna write it down somewhere for next time.

-
Carlton supporter

200.gif

Last edited:
Hmm and i thought Fitzoy were a working class Irish/Catholic club. I always saw Melbourne and Essendon back in the day as the clubs of the ruling Anglo/Protestant elite.
Fitzroy was established as a wealthy village just out of town but gradually declined, Collingwood was the poor smelly neighbor down the hill that Fitzroy didn't like because it reminded them of their decline.

When the protestant Britannia club (located in Collingwood) folded, and was replaced by the upstart Catholic Collingwood, the remaining Brittania stalwarts took the club memorabilia including the time bell to Fitzroy in protest.

Fitzroy as genuinely Collingwood's enemy from the beginning, pure hatred on their part, mostly forgotten by us these days. Carlton OTOH were our mates, never as snooty as Fitzroy, and generously invited us into both the VFA and VFL. I beleive the friendship broke down in 1910, with the carlton bribery scandal and subsequent bloodbath Grand final. The version told me was Collingwood started a fight to win against a highly favoured Carlton, but I've been reading up about it (as a result of this thread) and its much more complicated, I probably had it wrong.

They sacked Jack Worrall the year before (in a player revolt, he was an abstinent disciplinarian) and the club experience internal dissent through the year. It seems Carlton felt several stars had planned to play dead, sacked 3 of them before the South final, and won. In the granny it was a tough match, several players king hit and knocked out, and several accounts have Carlton starting it.

I never knew why RoyBoys hated us so much, I just put it down to "well they all hate us" but it turns out they were our first true enemy.

You can get through a stretch of games with a long injury list, but not a full season + finals.

There's been nothing to suggest our injury list will get shorter, players come back then just get injured again, or they come back and someone else gets injured.

Pies have found their groove, not sure if they'll win the whole thing (McStay going down hurts) but they'll be more of a threat than us imo.
I will rebut as its a sensible post.
We need to not worry about Martin who seems to do some sort of leg strain the minute he breaks the crepe paper of the banner pre game . Same with Marchbank. We can't dwell on these 2 forever. Cut em loose and move on my thoughts.

We need to not worry about Martin who seems to do some sort of leg strain the minute he breaks the crepe paper of the banner pre game . Same with Marchbank. We can't dwell on these 2 forever. Cut em loose and move on my thoughts.
He sounds like Kreuger, maybe we should swap rehab benches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We currently have 8 players out with soft tissue, on top of those currently out:

Weitering did his calf start of the year.
C. Durdin did his hamstring before R1.
Owies did his calf in pre-season.
McGovern hamstring

That's over a 1/4 of the list experiencing soft tissue injuries before round 9... that's nuts.

Throw in Walsh & Cottrell with stress fractures for good measure. There's probably more that I'm forgetting.

It now goes way deeper than the usual suspects of Martin, Marchbank & Cuningham.

Are you disputing the fact Port turned up to Marvel Stadium with a less than full strength team against Carlton, as they wanted to ensure they could put their best foot forward at home against a genuine premiership contender - the team they were at the time challenging for top spot - the following week?

Given the results of both games, I suspect they'd do things differently if they had the chance...
You keep bring this up as if it is a reason Port lost.

While the Port made 6 changes
Lord for Dixon
JHF for Mead
Rioli for Burgonyne

While all are best 22 but only JHF was top 10 in their b&F

Jonas for McKenzie is pretty minimal. Port didn't have to deal with McKay after 15minutes
Lycett for Hayes improves the side (kept his spot to play Collingwood)
Duursma for Evans is pretty minimal (kept his spot to play Collingwood)

Not sure the outs adds up to 50 points. If you can't cover those outs you have depth issues.

You keep bring this up as if it is a reason Port lost.

While the Port made 6 changes
Lord for Dixon
JHF for Mead
Rioli for Burgonyne

While all are best 22 but only JHF was top 10 in their b&F

Jonas for McKenzie is pretty minimal. Port didn't have to deal with McKay after 15minutes
Lycett for Hayes improves the side (kept his spot to play Collingwood)
Duursma for Evans is pretty minimal (kept his spot to play Collingwood)

Not sure the outs adds up to 50 points. If you can't cover those outs you have depth issues.

The fact that Fudge remembers the intricate details of a random rd18 Carlton game from last year just highlights his obsession.

I remember it because it was clear by their selection decisions that they had their eyes on the Collingwood match the following week...

As the poster above you explained, it was hardly their best players going out.

Whenever Carlton have injuries you’ve said ‘yeah but none of them have been your best players’, but for Carlton’s opposition, it’s a valid excuse to get thumped by 50+ points.

Your hatred is making you stoopid(er).

You’re also wrong, Port had a home final to go for and didn’t end up getting it & got done in straight sets. Bad loss

As the poster above you explained, it was hardly their best players going out.

Whenever Carlton have injuries you’ve said ‘yeah but none of them have been your best players’, but for Carlton’s opposition, it’s a valid excuse to get thumped by 50+ points.

Your hatred is making you stoopid(er).

You’re also wrong, Port had a home final to go for and didn’t end up getting it & got done in straight sets. Bad loss
As I said earlier, given how the season transpired, I suspect Port would have approached those two games differently if they had their time over again.

But it doesn't change the fact Carlton were kissed on the you know what with the team Port selected for their round 18 match.

I remember it because it was clear by their selection decisions that they had their eyes on the Collingwood match the following week...
both games were worth the same number of points fudgey wudgey - your constant repetitive nonsense about that simple arithmetical fact just underlines something wrong with your thinking...

As I said earlier, given how the season transpired, I suspect Port would have approached those two games differently if they had their time over again.

But it doesn't change the fact Carlton were kissed on the you know what with the team Port selected for their round 18 match.
Carlton had a third of their team out as well and we put them to the sword.

both games were worth the same number of points fudgey wudgey - your constant repetitive nonsense about that simple arithmetical fact just underlines something wrong with your thinking...
Indeed they were.

Port took Carlton lightly, assuming they'd roll into town and take the points with half a team, then build for their crucial match against Collingwood the following week - a win giving them a huge psychological leg up leading into the finals.

For the third time, I reckon they'd do things differently if they had their time again... but they're the decisions a team needs to make when they're preparing for their September campaign.

Back