Who will be better in 2024? Hawthorn or Essendon?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My guess is the current 3.5 is more likely than 7 or more. The Bombers are going to have a few runs of losses.

We are too, obviously. But my guess is we are at 2.5 games difference after this weekend.
So close.

Bombers should be up and about but god, have some tempered expectations. You haven’t won a final since I’ve been alive. Enjoy it but don’t get ahead of yourself.

I did my side based off 2023 and 2024. Otherwise Frost is making the team has played very well in 2024.

Durham is a gun and I rate him highly but I don’t think I can have him there yet. As I said too I’d change the team come end of year and leading into 2025.
Durham would be one of the first players picked. You’re making a fool of yourself if you argue otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the main thing is my belief of dynamic approach in the middle & also not necessarily bias of teams but youth. I’ve seen the high end talents and production of Day and Newcombe last season and my belief is I’d pick both over Parish on field. Albeit it’s quite irrelevant given Parish role as is Worpels will stay the same either way as the inside midfielder.

I do like the Dons tho, actually a member through a free membership haha and have a lot of mates support them. Also doing work experience here and there. It’s good to see more.
Redman is the most ‘dynamic’ defender in either team bar McGrath. He plays tall, small, defends and attacks. He kicks 50+ metre goals on the run or set shot like tonight. What makes you think Scrimshaw has done anything to earn a bench spot ahead of him other than bias?

Redman is the most ‘dynamic’ defender in either team bar McGrath. He plays tall, small, defends and attacks. He kicks 50+ metre goals on the run or set shot like tonight. What makes you think Scrimshaw has done anything to earn a bench spot ahead of him other than bias?
Scrimshaw has had an incredible season this year as a CHB. Plays very similarly to Ridley.

There is no bias behind it besides my belief that Redman isn’t as good as you think he is. Offensively he goes on some great runs, defensively average. His ability to get dangerous is good and wins the ball but again, I don’t believe his defensive game is as prominent as you believe. Scrimshaw has been incredible so far this year and has finally started to break out on the talent everyone knew he possessed.

Scrimshaw has had an incredible season this year as a CHB. Plays very similarly to Ridley.

There is no bias behind it besides my belief that Redman isn’t as good as you think he is. Offensively he goes on some great runs, defensively average. His ability to get dangerous is good and wins the ball but again, I don’t believe his defensive game is as prominent as you believe. Scrimshaw has been incredible so far this year and has finally started to break out on the talent everyone knew he possessed.
Mason Redman got selected in the AA squad in 2023. Id hazard a guess hes much better than you are giving him credit for

Redman is consistently in the right place to defend especially to cover teammates and often outmanoeuvres much bigger opponents. He’s also excellent at winning inside ball on the last line and feeding out to the advantage of teammates. Maybe you haven’t appreciated what he does running up and back. He’s been down on possessions this year but that comes down to us using Martin more to escape defensive 50. Having said that, tonight he’s had 26 possessions, kicked a goal, defended with intensity and composure and topped the SC points. From what I saw, Scrimshaw was solid against the Saints. He’s going alright but I’d take RedDog on the bench before him without reservation.

You’ll be lucky to start favourite in 4 of your remaining matches, highly doubt you’ll be winning 6 of them.
So since this comment we have beaten North, Doggies and Saints- that only leaves another 3 games to win.
So with North, 2 games against Richmond, 2 games against Adelaide, West Coast, Fremantle in Tassie, Lions at Marvel and GWS in Tassie, how you feeling about the lucky to win 6 comment?

Both sides are decent for the stage of their rebuild, but Essendon is ahead of Hawthorn in rebuilding by a couple of years, which is evident on field.

So since this comment we have beaten North, Doggies and Saints- that only leaves another 3 games to win.
So with North, 2 games against Richmond, 2 games against Adelaide, West Coast, Fremantle in Tassie, Lions at Marvel and GWS in Tassie, how you feeling about the lucky to win 6 comment?
You've beaten North, Doggies and Saints since Tuesday?

You’ve won 3 games in 3 days?
I made that comment this week ya pelican.

Last edited:
by all means please get another pick 6-8 and miss out on the elite top end of the draft with tassie looming.

you're not going to enjoy being on the other side of an expansion draft compared to last time.

An Essendon supporting mate messaged me during the round 1 game saying these were clearly two of the poorest teams in the competition.

Looks like things might have swiftly turned around for the Bombers and are slowing but surely turning around for the Hawks.

Back