Opinion Why Paddy Ryder can be our 50+ goal a year forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don't know why people are against the idea of having ryder as chb. He has shown he can perform very well there and imo much better there than as a key forward. At least if we do that as well we can keep gumby and hurley up forward and play belly in the ruck.
I'm not against that idea at all. This is only if Hurley was to play in the back line.

I'm not against that idea at all. This is only if Hurley was to play in the back line.
The whole point of having Ryder in the backline though is to keep Hurley forward though. I still not sure why every one is so keen on moring Hurley back when really he is our only proven key forward on our list right now it seems crazy to move him back. Hooker was doing fine before we went to s**t and really i'd keep hooker so when Fletcher retires i'd have ryder take his role as the 3rd tall. But until that day my key back would be Carlisle and Ryder with fletcher filling in when Ryder goes into the ruck.

Too many times this year we got caught out going to small up forward and it really pissed me off. The problem is we really needed 2 full time key forwards , instead we had this s**t where we had one key forward and 2 rucks acting as average forwards. Its alright when they float into the forward line or even rest up forward as a 3rd tall for like 5 minutes but we can't rely on them to play key positions for the whole game.

Lol i can only really see 6 down there but its each to there own

It's been suggested that every one of our forwards should go to defence - Ryder/Crameri/Gumbleton/Hurley/Jetta - They forgot Jetta !

There are two things that can stop Ryder.

His lack of natural aggression and the **** require to be a key forward (although he has been working on it); and his ruck duties which will reduce his time forward.

He is otherwise more than capable of joining the elite key forwards in the competition.

We can't have Daniher, Ryder, Crameri and Hurley all kicking 50 goals next year... . (well maybe we can).
You're right. Daniher will kick 50 in the VFL.

I don't think playing as a predominate forward suits Paddy at all. He gets bogged down in too many wrestling contests and the like which highlight his weaknesses and don't showcase his strengths. I think he looks much better playing higher up the ground, whether on the ball or just leading right up the wings.

However, it's all about what works best for the team. If Ryder spending most of the game inside 50 allows us to play our best footy overall, then that's where he should play.

Please - Ryder is not a key forward, completely lacks the aggression and natural ball sense to play KPF.

Good as a 3rd option/rotation but not as a forward solution

I'd love to see a live game of Ryder playing forward and want the opinion on his work rate as a forward, something that natural forwards are blessed with and makeshift forwards generally are not.

Does he work high up the ground and double back, what's his timing like when hitting up the ball carrier, does he keep leading when seemingly being ignored or options are getting cut off etc etc? I get to see bugger all of this on TV due to their focus being on the ball carrier hence I can't comment on his worth as a forward.

I can say I think he plays his best footy in the ruck, and that whilst he is a very capable defender didn't he absolutely hate it down there when Sheedy played him at CHB early on in his career?

Ideally TBell will continue to develop his all round game and Paddy will improve his forward play to be a good foil for our KPFs, then over the course of a season or 2 the TBell/Paddy combo will start to become a cohesive forward/ruck combo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then I'd say he definitely can't be considered a KPF, more the resting ruck becomes a 3rd tall.

Which opens the debate about Crameri, as I see him as our 3rd "tall" in an ideal world.

He's a confidence player. Therefore I am not convinced he would thrive as a full-time forward. Yes he has the attributes, however there are going to be lengthy periods of most games where he'll be out of the action. He appears to be more comfortable being in the ruck and thus always being in the action.

Then I'd say he definitely can't be considered a KPF, more the resting ruck becomes a 3rd tall.

Which opens the debate about Crameri, as I see him as our 3rd "tall" in an ideal world.
I think its a mistake to box Crameri as a third tall. Yes he can take a mark but he is super quick and is great below his knees IMO he is just a bigger bodied winderlich and I have no problems with having him playing with Hurley gumby and a resting ruck(I'd still have Ryder at chb this is more so if they rest belly up forward while Ryder rucks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back