Traded Will Hoskin-Elliott [traded to Collingwood for their 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

7 news saying WHE to the pies on huge money. Wouldn't have thought they'd be throwing his heaps but if he's on big money and GWS have a squeeze the pies may need to pick up the bill.

If that's the case maybe we get him on the cheap trade wise. Similar to Cloke to the Dogs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mayne, Hoskin-Elliot, Wells, Harvey and Dal Santo to Collingwood. Is Michael Voss in charge of list management?
Buckley yesterday said they are in talks with only 2 of these guys
WHE and Wells would be my guess, got no idea why they'd bother chasing Mayne

7 news saying WHE to the pies on huge money. Wouldn't have thought they'd be throwing his heaps but if he's on big money and GWS have a squeeze the pies may need to pick up the bill.

I do wonder what is 'huge' money though - 400-450k isn't that big of a deal these days, particularly when the cap is being increased, it's above average yes but I imagine that'd be the minimum offer required to take the non-untouchable players away from GWS.

I do wonder what is 'huge' money though - 400-450k isn't that big of a deal these days, particularly when the cap is being increased, it's above average yes but I imagine that'd be the minimum offer required to take the non-untouchable players away from GWS.
WHE is currently contracted until 2017 on about $400k. You'd assume that Collingwood will take that contract off GWS' hands (hence the huge money, massive for a bloke playing NEAFL). Would be surprised if we offered him that much for the extra years though, however many they may be.

WHE has a nice highlights reel at AFL and NEAFL level but that doesn't cut it.

I've seen him live a couple of times at NEAFL level and he doesn't get a lot of the ball for a guy on big money and also reckon his disposal isn't very good and that's at NEAFL level of pressure.

Only holds interest because he was a high draft pick and highlights reel but just get a feeling that he may be a bust. Can't blame another club for trying him if he came cheap.

Who clubs target in trade period will reveal their forward strategy and right now a couple of clubs look to be doing strange things if who they're targeting is to be believed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wondering if it's true that we're getting WHE and Mayne, whether internally we don't expect Elliott to make it back?

Been some chat that Elliot wants out as he is annoyed re the management of his injury but his value would be low.

I have been told that its a degenerative condition and it will never be right. Guy was a Doc but a pessimist.

Been some chat that Elliot wants out as he is annoyed re the management of his injury but his value would be low.

I have been told that its a degenerative condition and it will never be right. Guy was a Doc but a pessimist.

I have the same issue with my back.

He'll play again, will need to manage it but he will play to the same standard he was at pre injury.

wow, surely he couldn't be on huge money. He has played 50 odd matches in 5 years and when he plays other than a few brief moments he has looked rather uninspiring

wow, surely he couldn't be on huge money. He has played 50 odd matches in 5 years and when he plays other than a few brief moments he has looked rather uninspiring

Got paid with the Shiel/Cameron/Smith/Coniglio contingent on their last contracts - all got paid a fair bit on potential and a fair bit on not wanting to lose their top tier of youngsters. GWS really didn't want to lose him because he's looked on the cusp of a breakout year but he still hasn't managed it, unlike the others. Doubt the Pies will be giving him a pay rise if he moves, so I suspect that "huge money" is actually his current GWS contract.

Crazy season starts tomorrow so young Will good luck to you at the pies. I'll be a little annoyed if you play good against us your old mighty Giants team in the future but that's life.

Got paid with the Shiel/Cameron/Smith/Coniglio contingent on their last contracts - all got paid a fair bit on potential and a fair bit on not wanting to lose their top tier of youngsters. GWS really didn't want to lose him because he's looked on the cusp of a breakout year but he still hasn't managed it, unlike the others. Doubt the Pies will be giving him a pay rise if he moves, so I suspect that "huge money" is actually his current GWS contract.
The 'huge' money has been reported at $400k for 2017, the last year of his GWS contract. May have been big money at the time of signing but next year the average AFL wage will be around $330k p.a. GWS will bring in at least 2 more quality youngsters, who along with Hopper and Kennedy from last year, will be on their minimum chips draftee contracts, not taking up much cap space. Hopper may have forced his way into the best 22 but the others are at least quality, young, cheap salary wise, depth.

After taking in the $400k for 2017, if he chooses Collingwood, it's just a matter of negotiating the remaining year/s. Doesn't sound like he's unhappy, just wants more opportunity at AFL level. Given the GWS depth and the re-signing of Steve Johnson, his opportunities may be limited if he remains.

Our club is interested in him apparently.

If you're basing that interest off Joyce's interview I wouldn't read too much into it - the host put WHE's name to him and he just gave the standard straight bat answer.

The sort of trade we should be targeting though - keep our better picks and try and find value via trades for prospects who are seeking opportunity or out of favour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back