Player Watch Will Hoskin-Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

One obvious problem with that distribution is that not only is it a hard cap, but you have to pay at least 95% of the cap in any given year.

So if you don’t have “6 players” or whatever your arbitrary number is, who are set to be your highly paid players, then you’re forced to overpay someone. That has a cascading effect on the expectation of the rest of the players on your list. Then when a player develops and should reasonably be paid in that top echelon, or you secure a top player from another team, that money isn’t available.

On the flip side, if a highly valued player leaves or retires, you now have a lot more money, but you’re short one talented player to pay it to. So mediocre players get overpaid again unless you can trade in someone worthy, or you have a really talented guy who you want to keep coming out of contract, who wasn’t previously in your top echelon.

So the Pareto principle is a decent model to work with, but it needs to be flexible and you aren’t going to get it anywhere near right in your first year of managing the list.

Also I like extending rookie scale contracts that show good performances +2 years in their very first year.

Imagine a contract controlled Pendles/Sidebuts for 4 years. You’d easily double the investment and then some. (500k+ worth at their best).

And it’s negligible at best in the end because of the 14 you need to pay.

So many players are in that 350 to 600 range that are overpaid.

Under 250 the loss is very small

Whereas if a player that’s paid 500 performs at a 250 per year level realistically speaking that’s a loss of 2 125 replacement players per year.

In fact it’s perquisite to have those players on a list (whether rookie scale or otherwise that greatly outperforms the sum attached to the invididual).

Basically don’t overpay middling players.

I do wonder if a list has 20 or 20+ contacts at sub 250 level. That creates so much cap flexibility. And you get great great returns if one or more turns into Podsiadly or a Mature Ruck that becomes a top ten ruck in the comp, mature age forward that kicks heaps of goals or a stud back flanker.

More Crisps less Greenwoods paid/cost value please :)

It’s irony but Supercoach really does give a lot of insight into this. It may be fantasy buts it not far off reality in terms of price tag and game to game impact that players have.

Riley Bonner would be a good get the year before imo. PA push out (Lukosious) many years playing, mature age. Undervalued to position value etc etc. Cheap and easy, that boat has probably flown the coop with his excellent finals play. Now all of a sudden it’s on the verge of an overpay on a new contract.

Funny how things like that work out fast.

Get youngins or elders before not after.

Last edited:

Keep him I reckon.
I agree. WHE has no trade value and could yet provide team value in 2022. We’re not in a position to throw out experienced players with so many young players.

I agree. WHE has no trade value and could yet provide team value in 2022. We’re not in a position to throw out experienced players with so many young players.
He won’t prove to be of any value next year. We may as well try and trade him now as there is now way he gets another contract at Collingwood beyond 22

He won’t prove to be of any value next year. We may as well try and trade him now as there is now way he gets another contract at Collingwood beyond 22
He’ll be on the trade table but if there is no interest, then that’s that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really follow this. He's got no value, and will never have value (according to you), so somehow we will find a way to trade him?

Is there any actual talk that WHE is on the move?

WHE has only had one top 10 finish and that was 10th in his first season at the club.

2017 - 22 games
2018 - 26 games
2019 - 19 games
2020 - 18 games
2021 - 20 games

Sorry, but that is way unders. In that time the following players managed better results:

Tom Phillips - 6th (2018), 7th (2019)
Josh Thomas - 9th (2018)
John Noble - eq 8th (2020)

WHE has only had one top 10 finish and that was 10th in his first season at the club.

2017 - 22 games
2018 - 26 games
2019 - 18 games
2020 - 18 games
2021 - 20 games

Sorry, but that is way unders. In that time the following players managed better results:

Josh Thomas - 9th (2018)
What’s your point?

2017 - 22 games
2018 - 26 games
2019 - 19 games
2020 - 18 games
2021 - 20 games

Josh Thomas - 9th (2018)
Is he in our top 10 earners?

What’s your point?

oh wow ok.

He has under performed for a long period of time. The coaches have not rated his output that highly. So there is no mysterious role that he has excelled in.

Time is up for WHE.

Free up the salary cap space. We need to detach ourselves from overpaid players that under perform.

Is he in our top 10 earners?

I only put top 10 as that is the only results I could find. I would much prefer to put the actual finishing results.

In terms of what he earns not sure. He was reportedly on big coin when he switched from GWS.

I only put top 10 as that is the only results I could find. I would much prefer to put the actual finishing results.

In terms of what he earns not sure. He was reportedly on big coin when he switched from GWS.
It's a valid concern that he's never really capitalised upon his potential. But if we're not overpaying him (and I doubt he's earning more than Grundy, Moore, De Goey, Maynard, Pendlebury, Howe, Sidebottom, Crisp, Elliott, Adams or Cox, off the top of my head) then I think it's alright. An average player making average money, not worth complaining about, especially if he's beaten out by kids next season and we can let him walk in FA, hopefully for a compo 3rd rounder.

oh wow ok.

He has under performed for a long period of time. The coaches have not rated his output that highly. So there is no mysterious role that he has excelled in.

Time is up for WHE.

Free up the salary cap space. We need to detach ourselves from overpaid players that under perform.
100% this

I would take what ever we can get for him. Even if it’s a pick with no points attached
But what if nobody wants him? That seems fairly likely if he's as terrible as you think. Not sure why a team would give up a pick for him now when he's a free agent next season, and they can sign him for cheaper.

oh wow ok.

Time is up for WHE.

It’s hard to trade a player if other clubs aren’t interested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back