Traded Will Setterfield [traded to Carlton with #71 for #43 & future 2nd round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely not. However, the vast majority of media reports linking GWS players to other clubs are proven false, as evidenced by the examples I listed earlier. However, you mentioned the case of Aaron Francis, and I was wondering, do you believe that media speculation caused him to request a trade away from Essendon?
Absolutely not. Where there is smoke there is fire, much like with Will Setterfield I'm guessing.

None of those players you have listed ended up leaving, that's all you're proving. Are you also going as far to say that they were never approached by another club and that they never contemplated leaving? I don't see what's false or unfair about a media publication about a Victorian club making an approach to an interstate player and that said player weighing up said option, unless you can prove that the club never made contact with the player.

Absolutely not. Where there is smoke there is fire, much like with Will Setterfield I'm guessing.

None of those players you have listed ended up leaving, that's all you're proving. Are you also going as far to say that they were never approached by another club and that they never contemplated leaving? I don't see what's false or unfair about a media publication about a Victorian club making an approach to an interstate player and that said player weighing up said option, unless you can prove that the club never made contact with the player.
Clubs have definitely contacted him.

Ive heard from a few people that he has told them he isnt leaving GWS. But im sure we will find out the truth soon enough

Francis is a far closer comparison than McGrath; one has had injury issues and barely strung any games together, the other isn't starved for opportunity and has actually played almost every game since debut. The whole premise of the article was on greater opportunity.

The premise of the article is to create spin and appease the enormous appetite for hope that VFL fans have.

That Jay Clark is a bona fide VFL whore gutter “journalist”. I’m not even sure he is aware that there are clubs outside of Victoria, and he didn’t even pen this garbage.

My point is that it is really unseemly to speculate about clubs interest now to dislodge a player that is contracted until the end of 2020.

Can we not leave it to players coming out of contract this year and let other stuff RE tied up players evolve during trade week? Is that too much to ask?

But there is no smoke here. Article states a line about an alleged salary cap squeeze has rival clubs circling. That's it. No explanation as to how people believe there is a salary cap squeeze, just a few words with nothing to back it up. And then goes to say that he is happy in Sydney. Don't have to be qualified or have inside contacts to write s**t like this, BF is full of this stuff.

Don’t think he will leave but the club wouldn’t be doing it’s due diligence if it didn’t atleast enquire. I’ve been told we enquired and were told thanks but no thanks.

But there is no smoke here. Article states a line about an alleged salary cap squeeze has rival clubs circling. That's it. No explanation as to how people believe there is a salary cap squeeze, just a few words with nothing to back it up. And then goes to say that he is happy in Sydney. Don't have to be qualified or have inside contacts to write s**t like this, BF is full of this stuff.
The article merely states that two clubs are interested in Will Setterfield and then lists some potential reasons as why that may be the case. It's really quite innocuous, and probably totally true. The real furor is because you and others are outraged that other clubs are daring to speak to your contracted players. Unfortunately contracts aren't worth a pinch of s**t these days, don't bullshit me and tell me that GWS as a club thinks any differently.

The article merely states that two clubs are interested in Will Setterfield and then lists some potential reasons as why that may be the case. It's really quite innocuous, and probably totally true. The real furor is because you and others are outraged that other clubs are daring to speak to your contracted players. Unfortunately contracts aren't worth a pinch of s**t these days, don't bullshit me and tell me that GWS as a club thinks any differently.
Why is it probably true? There's no reference to anyone involved in the decision making.

Won't leave imo. Media beat up as per usual. Will be the same article re-written about another player next week. Rinse and repeat.
"17 clubs are interested in young GWS star Tim Taranto".... see, I can do it too.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Your new Herald Sun contract is in the mail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you do if you dont want to have him walk when his contract is up
Ahh the famous "he'll walk to the pre season draft" threat. I love that one, so many north supporters are saying about Polec right now. Look it hardly ever happens it's not an ideal situation for any player. I'm sure he doesn't want to end up on the Gold Coast.

Actually for a contracted player we dont need to agree to a trade.

No you don't. I'd hope that if he wants to come, Essendon and GWS will continue the good relationship they have and agree to a fair trade.

No you don't. I'd hope that if he wants to come, Essendon and GWS will continue the good relationship they have and agree to a fair trade.
It's really hard to know. His contract was extended last year and we had very hopes for him. The word from the club was he's our best prospect since Josh Kelly.

He was badly concussed in his second game last year and missed the rest of the season. Then did an ACL in an unofficial trial in the pre-season this year. To date his experience sadly hasn't been a happy one.

Very little has been said by the club regarding his progress and I think that might be about his privacy at a difficult time. The only official mention was yesterday when he was moved to the long term injury list, although the club said his rehab was going well.

It could be that he's well adjusted happy and will join the main group training in the off season ready to break out next year. Equally it could be that he's going through a difficult time and feels a bit lost in his new home in Sydney right now.

The latter is the only situation that motivate us to trade that I can think of. And where he wanted out.

Picks aren't going to be that attractive when the alternative is potentially a 21yo gun mid next year.
If there are physical complications then I cant imagine we'd try to dump him. From a humane perspective, but also from a Machiavellian one. The playing group see how players are treated in this situation and it would have an affect on player retention I expect. We're still a new club building culture.

Bottom line is we might if he wants to go for a good reason, as we reluctantly did Nathan Wilson last year. We could also reject it outright if that isn't the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back