Review Winners and losers, 2021 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Two years running Essendon have tapped up a contracted player and then refused to pay the 'market' price.

Be interesting to see if this impacts nominations next year.
I reckon they made fair offers for both but hadn't sounded out the original clubs first. Springing a trade on an opponent seems a very unusual tactic in this day and age where most of these deals are 90% worked out months ago before the clubs haggle the 10%.

GWS saying they would've kept Hill if they got Breust, but I'm not sure I believe them. They might've cut their losses once they secured a replacement especially if they had time to look at other options too.

Melbourne the winners.
Did not have any pressing need to do anything but retain what they had.

Hawthorn the losers.
Finally accept the need more elite youth to get via early draft picks and tried to see if anyone would take some of their older players for early draft picks
and never got any traction. Far from ideal to keep present senior players motivated and passionate. Also paying for Ceglar to play at Geelong in essence.

Overall most clubs came out about even overall. Lost a few players to retirement, gained a few players and if down ladder, most have the early draft picks they need to start to get in new talent for long term needs.

I know right! It’s crazy how difficult dodo is. Offer market value next time dodo!

'market value' being the price set on contracted players, not having a crack mate, essendon looking out for themselves and not overspending on trades as they have in the past. had a good draft last year too.

i'm wondering if players will be less likely to nominate after two stright years of it.

Winners
Carlton - Cerra best player available
Adelaide - Dawson 2nd best gave pick 15-20

Losers
Hawthorn - Fire sale that achieved nothing
Young - 2 players wanting out without success
Dodoro - 2 years running and reputation grows
Hill - Might not get another 4 year deal

Cerra and Hewett already slot into Carlton's best 22 nicely, not sold on Young , and we traded SPS for unders, but overall a very solid trade and FA period for us (better than last year's anyway)

Wouldn't be surprised if we somehow tried to trade our way into the first round on draft night tbh.
Charlie Curnow is practically a recruit as well having played just 4 games last year. Means you should have three quality inclusions. Cerra finished the year in the last 5 games playing purely as an inside mid averaging around 28 possessions. I could see Cripps spending more time forward with Cerra and Hewett there next year. That means you should have an improved forward line and midfield if all goes to plan.

As much as I think he in an incompetent 90s tool past his use by date, he did offer market for Hill….
I was being facetious, we absolutely offered market value. Just having a crack at the nuffie opposition fans that just have an axe to grind again Essendon and Dodoro when it’s clear to any objective observer the deal was instigated by Hill and his manager and the Essendon offer was more than fair. Sounds like discussions couldn’t have been more amicable however GWS just didn’t want to let him go which is their prerogative.

Market value for wanted contracted players is unders.
He played the same game last year.
Getting a bit tired is yesterday’s man …
Market value for Hill is a third round pick. Market value for a wanted contracted Hill is a second round pick. It’s all irrelevant, they weren’t going to let him go.

Winners
Carlton - Cerra best player available
Adelaide - Dawson 2nd best gave pick 15-20

Losers
Hawthorn - Fire sale that achieved nothing
Young - 2 players wanting out without success
Dodoro - 2 years running and reputation grows
Hill - Might not get another 4 year deal
I think Hawks have to take the cake. All they achieved was pissing half their squad off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Curnow is practically a recruit as well having played just 4 games last year. Means you should have three quality inclusions. Cerra finished the year in the last 5 games playing purely as an inside mid averaging around 28 possessions. I could see Cripps spending more time forward with Cerra and Hewett there next year. That means you should have an improved forward line and midfield if all goes to plan.

Cripps needs to go back to what he’s good at and get first possession.

Literally 90% of his game when he was an elite player. He also can’t kick a set shot and his contested marking is patchy at best.

Having someone like Cerra, who gets into dangerous spots to receive, is going to blessing for him too.

Think Carlton quite easily made the biggest improvements to their squad but didn’t necessarily “win”. We paid fair value for all three recruits but lost Samo for unders.

Adelaide the big winner, if any.

As I Tiger fan I wasn't fussed to lose Chol and was only mildly fussed to lose CCJ.

Happy with the picks we got in return + Tarrant.

Was really hoping they'd trade the later picks for something higher but there's still time.

Overpaid a bit for CCJ and lost Taz, but managed to hold our nerve with Xerri and pick 1. GC wasted our time by not even checking if McPherson wanted to leave.

So definitely not winners, but I don’t think we were losers either.

Think Carlton quite easily made the biggest improvements to their squad but didn’t necessarily “win”. We paid fair value for all three recruits but lost Samo for unders.

Adelaide the big winner, if any.
One could see it completely different:

- Hewett we picked up for free (I believe he will improve us more so than Cerra). Swans fans sure seem to rate him and the more I watch of him, I question why doesn't he get more recognition.
- Cerra if you ask most Freo fans, they believe we got him for unders. They would know Cerra better than the rest of us.
- Young purely ticked too many boxes. SPS (whilst I love him and agree went for WAY unders) was a surplus to needs, whilst Young killed a few birds. So I see it as a trade for needs vs a trade out for surplus.

The biggest factor with all three players was that the money that was offered for each. Unlike last year, each was attracted for either what they are worth or for unders when it comes to $$$.

I aint going to hide it, I think we did the best during this trade period. I don't see who else could say they traded in 2 definite first 18 and 1 possible best 22

Did well. Pressure is on Voss immediately to get them into the 8
Did well. Pressure is on Voss immediately to get them into the 8
We should improve next year barring a multitude of serious injuries, a revamped coaching team, Cerra , Hewett, Young are new additions, Plenty of exciting youngsters to assess, Kemp, Philp, Caroll, Durdin,
Honey some returning Marchbank, Cunningham, perhaps Docherty.
Mitch McGovern and Charlie Curnow should be better for the run too,
It’s all in Vossy’s hands pretty exciting stuff ahead.

Last edited:
It’s way too early declare winners and losers but I’m fairly comfortable with what Collingwood did this year. When you summarise our trade period we brought in Lipinski, Krueger, enough points for Daicos and Dib and upgraded our 2022 4th round pick to a 2022 3rd round pick for the cost of our 2022 second round pick and Max Lynch.

One could see it completely different:

- Hewett we picked up for free (I believe he will improve us more so than Cerra). Swans fans sure seem to rate him and the more I watch of him, I question why doesn't he get more recognition.
- Cerra if you ask most Freo fans, they believe we got him for unders. They would know Cerra better than the rest of us.
- Young purely ticked too many boxes. SPS (whilst I love him and agree went for WAY unders) was a surplus to needs, whilst Young killed a few birds. So I see it as a trade for needs vs a trade out for surplus.

The biggest factor with all three players was that the money that was offered for each. Unlike last year, each was attracted for either what they are worth or for unders when it comes to $$$.

I aint going to hide it, I think we did the best during this trade period. I don't see who else could say they traded in 2 definite first 18 and 1 possible best 22
As a supporter of a rival club I think the key to your year team next year will be Charlie Curnow and Mitch Mcgovern as they are the unknown factors. If those two play to their potential and remain injury free they will be huge. But if injuries stop them again then kicking high scores is way more difficult. You can count on the fact that your midfield depth will be significantly better than last year.

Carlton 'won' because they got Cerra who was the best player traded this year. Freo were reasonably compensated, but there's not much to get excited about with Ladhams, SPS, Ceglar etc. Adelaide got a pretty good player in Dawson too.

Biggest loser was the fans. I guess we've been spoiled the last few years since Crazy Clarko kicked things off but it was back to the dull and boring trade periods of the 2000s and early 2010s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back