Traded Zac Smith to Geelong [traded to Geelong for #49 and #53]

Remove this Banner Ad

Great call mate. You've already lost this year's first and second and next year's first and you don't even have Smith yet.
1 out of 4 ain't bad is it? :$

I'm still happy... Even happier if we can somehow now land Smith.:)

I'm still happy... Even happier if we can somehow now land Smith.:)
Can I ask why? This bloke has the intensity at the contest of a dandelion spore - not a good trait to have for a ruckman, who need to bash and crash into virtually every contest they face.

Can I ask why? This bloke has the intensity at the contest of a dandelion spore - not a good trait to have for a ruckman, who need to bash and crash into virtually every contest they face.
I think he's a lot better than what people give him credit for and he'll win his fair share of centre square contests... Something nobody else on our list is capable of and something that has cost us since Ottens retired.

The ruck has been our main Achilles heel which is why our midfield have struggled.

"to Geelong" should be removed from thread title.

I think he's a lot better than what people give him credit for and he'll win his fair share of centre square contests... Something nobody else on our list is capable of and something that has cost us since Ottens retired.

The ruck has been our main Achilles heel which is why our midfield have struggled.
I always thought the only reason he was rated was he scored decently in DT from the get go and was super cheap. Was the pick of the rucks his first year and therefore people "rated" him as so many knew him and followed his scores.

When you actually watch him, he's not a great ruck. He has a poor hitout win percentage and low HTA (not based on stats, from watching, however backed up by his low raw HO numbers).

Perhaps you should have offered up a big enough contract at the time to keep Mummy? Only cost Sydney 300k for 3 years to prise him away. Since then you guys have brought in several ruckmen from other clubs but none have worked out in any way for long-term. Zac Smith looks like just another in the assembly line.

Hawks have just won 3 flags in a row with just a serviceable (but versatile) ruck division. I'd have thought you already have a serviceable and versatile ruck division within your existing ranks without having to resort to getting someone as soft and one-dimensional as Zac Smith to the club on some mythical value of tap work and not much else - if nothing else it will chronically unbalance your list having so many talls. Addressing your midfield will help you get far more competitive at the contest, and the addition of Danger and S Selwood will help this no end - IMO Zac Smith is surplus to requirements.

Perhaps you should have offered up a big enough contract at the time to keep Mummy? Only cost Sydney 300k for 3 years to prise him away. Since then you guys have brought in several ruckmen from other clubs but none have worked out in any way for long-term. Zac Smith looks like just another in the assembly line.

Hawks have just won 3 flags in a row with just a serviceable (but versatile) ruck division. I'd have thought you already have a serviceable and versatile ruck division within your existing ranks without having to resort to getting someone as soft and one-dimensional as Zac Smith to the club on some mythical value of tap work and not much else - if nothing else it will chronically unbalance your list having so many talls. Addressing your midfield will help you get far more competitive at the contest, and the addition of Danger and S Selwood will help this no end - IMO Zac Smith is surplus to requirements.
I'm pretty certain that's incorrect. Sydney offered him substantially more and we didn't have the cap space.

Macintosh couldn't overcome his injuries and the others are stop gap Moreso than pure ruckman.

And I'll respectfully disagree with your assessment of Smith. I'd be happy to have him on board and so does the club so I'll back their judgement in first and Foremost.

Smith is going to become harder to obtain for Geelong now. Their earliest pick this year is around 46 which won't be enough and they are unable to use a 2016 draft pick.

Walker will either go to the Suns or will be traded elsewhere for a 2nd rounder which will be passed onto the Suns. Smith will get done.

Thought Sydney offered him 400k? And we might have serviceable rucks, but if they can never get on the park we're left with Blicavs and Walker, both of whom I rate, but not as rucks.

problem is geelong have nothing left to give
Brisbane want Walker and Jansen. Maybe we can get a pick in return then on trade it to the Gold Coast.

If it gets done it will be late I presume.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane want Walker and Jansen. Maybe we can get a pick in return then on trade it to the Gold Coast.

If it gets done it will be late I presume.
agreed. i think we would love a player but i guess geelong has noone they want to give / wants to come to us

Stephen Wells quote this morning suggesting Dawson Simpson likely to go to another club IF Zac Smith comes to Geelong.

Stephen Wells quote this morning...... "We're quite a way apart there with (the Suns) – there's a lot of work to be done for Zac to end up at our club," he said. "But if he did come … it sounds like it's real possibility that Dawson might get another opportunity at another club.

Stephen Wells wording suggests Geelong maybe further advanced than want people think now that Dawson has gone to GWS, in any case food for thought.

agreed. i think we would love a player but i guess geelong has noone they want to give / wants to come to us
Would Gold Coast be interested in Walker or Will he be a surplus to your forward line.

Ashcroft saying Sydney have offered a future second round for him.

Thought Sydney offered him 400k? And we might have serviceable rucks, but if they can never get on the park we're left with Blicavs and Walker, both of whom I rate, but not as rucks.

Yes 400k is correct, one of few poor decisions by club in recent years. Year prior Geelong resigned Blake for another two years (bad move) and with Ottens still at club The Swans made an offer the next year at 400k over 3? or 4? years that was impossible for us to match, if Bomber didn't resign Blake year prior then there was every chance Mummy would still be at club..... some you win, some you loose.... we need to get Zac Smith because not having number one ruckman structurely since Ottens has cost us dearly.

Stephen Wells quote this morning suggesting Dawson Simpson likely to go to another club IF Zac Smith comes to Geelong.

Stephen Wells quote this morning...... "We're quite a way apart there with (the Suns) – there's a lot of work to be done for Zac to end up at our club," he said. "But if he did come … it sounds like it's real possibility that Dawson might get another opportunity at another club.

Stephen Wells wording suggests Geelong maybe further advanced than want people think now that Dawson has gone to GWS, in any case food for thought.

I read that too and just about laughed out loud. Dawson is an unrestricted free agent. Wells has no say in what Dawson chooses to do.

Yes 400k is correct, one of few poor decisions by club in recent years. Year prior Geelong resigned Blake for another two years (bad move) and with Ottens still at club The Swans made an offer the next year at 400k over 3? or 4? years that was impossible for us to match, if Bomber didn't resign Blake year prior then there was every chance Mummy would still be at club..... some you win, some you loose.... we need to get Zac Smith because not having number one ruckman structurely since Ottens has cost us dearly.
Come off it, he had played 20 games over 2 years, and while he looked decent, and nearly everyone was disappointed to see him go, it's not surprising we wouldn't match that kind of money..... He hadn't exactly set the world on fire at that point. Hindsight is 20/20

Come off it, he had played 20 games over 2 years, and while he looked decent, and nearly everyone was disappointed to see him go, it's not surprising we wouldn't match that kind of money..... He hadn't exactly set the world on fire at that point. Hindsight is 20/20
Mummy NEVER wanted to leave Geelong, if we hadn't gone of a year early and signed Blake, Mummy would have stayed and played for less than Swans offer, he said that himself. Instead Blake would have been traded out for less but we would have been able to keep Mummy,

Mummy NEVER wanted to leave Geelong, if we hadn't gone of a year early and signed Blake, Mummy would have stayed and played for less than Swans offer, he said that himself. Instead Blake would have been traded out for less but we would have been able to keep Mummy,

Mummy was offered a deal, it was just less than Sydney's because we couldn't afford to match it. If he never wanted to leave, he wouldn't have left. He wasn't pushed, just not offered a $20k a game.

Mummy was offered a deal, it was just less than Sydney's because we couldn't afford to match it. If he never wanted to leave, he wouldn't have left. He wasn't pushed, just not offered a $20k a game.
The point I'm trying to raise is that we contracted a 2 year deal with Blake a year before which was Bombers mistake, if we had not done that then the following year we would have drafted Blake out not Mummy..... water under bridge, we have much more important goings on within our club at moment which appears all positive and let's hope our shocking injury run comes to an end, IF so then life will be good for CATS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back