2nds Sydney Swans Ressies 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like Reid is having a ripper.
He did but because I have a huge mancrush in him I may be pumping up his tyres just a tad. What really impresses me about him beyond his skills and size is his ability to do well at whatever is asked of him. He has played back forward and even in the ruck and has always competed ferociously. I suspect he is/will become the coaches' favorite because of his attitude and competitiveness

I can understand why you're angry Sophie but with only nine listed players it was a tremendous effort. Everyone involved can hold their head high tonight. Kirky would be proud

With Mumford down, could we see White put into the ruck, Reid up forward perhaps?
I think they will definitely consider it as he has been playing so well, but at the end of the day they will have to consider his long-term development. Being so young (still 18 I believe), they won't want to put him in such a difficult spot as the only tall target up forward.

Cross-posted on RWO
Thanks again.

Match report of sorts, I thought I better get it down while the events are still fresh in the mind.

To be honest, I was expecting a shellacking once the team lists went up on Friday with only 10 listed players. To walk into the ground and realise that Vez wasn't playing didn't improve my expectations. So it was a pleasant surprise that the match turned out to be a genuine contest for 3 and a half quarters.

Structure
Reid and Johnston up forward, with Reid a little deeper. Topup Dickerson, who isn't a small man was also in the forward line. In the midfield, the center square consisted of Currie the ruckman with McNeil, Gordon and Sumner at his feet. The defence had topup Emery on Ben Hughes, Gilchrist on Eric Stone and also O'Dwyer, McKaigue and scholarship players Guthrie and Lynch helping out. Sumner was taken off midfield some time in the second quarter with topup Linsen moved in. In the second Ainslie moved Hughes back to defence on Johnston, and the Swans subsequently swapped Emery with topup Dickerson who had been playing forward. Sumner spent some time in defence in the second half. Reid gradually began moving further and further up the field as the game wore on and cut out some Ainslie passes in our defensive 50 despite still playing forward.

1st Quarter
Swans put a lot of men behind the ball trying to suffocate Ainslie's attack. When they did break this allowed their forwards to work in a lot of space. However, they struggled to transition from defence to attack and turned the ball over a lot. Ainslie didn't help their own cause by missing the set shots they had.

The Swans's chances were few and very scrappy. McKaigue's kick to Dickerson's advantage was spilled over the line. Sumner spotted Reid free but put too much on the kick and it flew through for a behind. Nipper had time and space to find a free player on the half-forward flank but his kick too flew over the top of the intended target. Johnston put an ambitious handball into space but Sumner wasn't on the same wavelength and Ainslie mopped up. Reid had the lone set shot from just inside 50 but misses on the near side.

Swans 0.3 (3) Ainslie 1.4 (10)

2nd Quarter
Swans started with more purpose and kicked the first 4 goals of the quarter. Reid getting 2 - one through good harassing off the ball and the other a contested mark from behind using his prodigous leap and long reach. Johnston kicked the other 2. The first one was a well worked move - Currie tapped in down to Gordon who spotted up the leading Reid. He then placed a well-weighted kick to Johnston right in between two defenders. The second he snapped playing on to advantage after Linsen (I think) was collected head high.

Ainslie were hardly in the game at this period. It all came unstuck when topup Dickerson attempted a switch of play but misplaced his kick. Ainslie goaled and kicked the next one too and after this dominated a whole lot without getting any reward on the scoreboard. O'Dwyer kicked one against the run of play when a McKaigue bomb cleared the pack. MOD read it perfectly and snapped around the corner.

It was during the latter part of the second half that I felt they overused the handball. Perhaps it was due to the fact they messed up a few kicks going forward in the first quarter that they reverted to this style, but I felt like shouting "Kick the bloody thing already" more than once during this period.

Swans 5.4 (34) Ainslie 3.4 (22)

3rd Quarter
Started with a bang from the opening bounce. Nipper burst clear of the pack, handballed it to Sumner who *just* managed to shrug off a despairing tackle before offloading into space for Emery to chase. He gathered it, drew Johnston's man with great timing and handballed for Lewis to boot it into the Trumper (or would have been if they wasn't a protective net). Emery dropped an easy mark allowing Ainslie to go coast-to-coast for a quick reply.

A Swans player was then penalised for running over the mark, when all he did was make slight contact with the Ainslie player running back after taking the mark. This resulted in a fifty metre penalty and an easy goal. Reid kicked his 3rd when he read the play well, intercepting a handball from an Ainslie defender, running to fifty, steadying, kicking it and having it roll through the unguarded goal.

McNeil kicked his goal when he received a high fend-off from a rampaging Ainslie defender galloping at full speed. The defender's protestations cost him a fifty metre penalty allowing the Dill to goal from point blank. He was perhaps a tad lucky, but was rewarded for putting his body on the line. The Swans then managed to repel waves after waves of Ainslie attacks, Reid being prominent in chopping off passes by dropping back into the correct spaces. Ainslie were responsible for a few stuff ups of their own with some sloppy play by their forwards. They did manage to kick one after a good juggling mark.

Swans 8.7 (55) Ainslie 6.8 (44)

4th Quarter
Ainslie threw everything at the Swans and the pressure started to tell. More turnovers in the midfield led to two Ainslie goals. Hughes marking uncontested 25m out and then some quick thinking play near the boundary line resulted in the 2nd. Swans pegged one back when McKaigue spotted up Emery (according to the scoreboard anyway, I had it down as Reid but am not sure) on a lead whose converting kick split the middle.

Swans continued to battle away in defence but the number of turnovers started to hurt. One led to an uncontested mark 35m out, and put away. The second was from a poor kick-in by Gilly, the Ainslie player sent the ball straight back over Gilly's head. Players were starting to tire in the warm conditions, and topup Bills's vain attempt at a tackle was shrugged off and Ainslie had their 11th. They kicked their last from a tough set shot in the pocket.

After this, they switched a lot of numbers back to block Johnston's and Reid's space and the midfielders and halfbacks like Gordon, O'Dwyer and Gilchrist were noticeably hesitant kicking into the forward line.

Swans 9.7 (61) Ainslie 12.11 (83)

Disappointing to lose by such a margin after a good battle for most of the game, Ainslie definitely ran the game out better and had more intent in chasing the 4 points. However, if the coaches were disappointed in the efforts of the reserves in recent weeks, I think they will go to bed tonight much happier. Perhaps if they had more firepower and class up forward (e.g. a Vesz) they could have put a bigger margin on the board when they were dominating play. As it was the margin was always close enough for Ainslie to charge over the top of.

Sam Reid was clearly the best for me. I admit I have a slight mancrush on him so excuse me if the following sentences are a tad hyperbolic in nature. His athleticism - his leaps, his strong hands, his timing, his kicking are all top notch and for all to see today. In fact he was in such good nick that whenever a ball was kicked to him I expected him to mark it no matter how difficult the task was. He did a lot of work up the ground, pushing back and helping out the defenders and cut out a lot of Ainslie passes in the defensive fifty. However what impresses me most about Reid is just his competitiveness and his desire. Off the ball he does a sterling job chasing and pressuring defenders. If the ball is on the ground it is not uncommon to see him diving on top of it and out-hustle smaller and nimbler players. He has taken any task given to him and excelled at it - Reid has played up forward and down back, as well as some time in the ruck. Primmy, your nickname of "Reid the Weed" surely has to make way now. I've been thinking of calling him "Cracker" as he seems to have had one every time I've watched him play.

Before I end my gushing, I would like to highlight one piece of play from Reid that has stuck in my mind. Johnston easily outpaced Hughes on the lead, in turn kicking it high to allow Reid to mark over the top of a shorter Ainslie player. He then sent a low pass, wouldn't have gone past head-height, to McKaigue dashing into the forward fifty who gobbled it up in his stride. It was great vision and superb execution by Reid.

Nipper Gordon was best on ground at half time. He was the beneficiary of some good taps from Daniel Currie. This duo has worked so well over the season you being to wonder whether they have a telepathic connection. Nipper used his well-known tank to push back hard in defence, just like Reid did in the 2nd half. I felt his disposal was a mixed bag, he was involved in quite a few of the turnovers but would have ended up with a big possession tally. Crusher had his hands full with Rowan Andrews and played quite well despite getting some physical attention. At least he didn't have to ruck the whole game this time.

This was Matt O'Dwyer's best game for quite some time. He showed a lot of intent and purpose running out of the back half and his kicking was very solid today, a big improvement on many of his showings. He was also cool under pressure, linking up well with his fellow defenders and was a much-needed leader down back.

Dylan McNeil was followed by (I'm not sure that tagged is the right term) Shirley who restricted Dill's influence but not his work-rate. McNeil is like a little terrier who loves scrapping down at the bottom of the packs. It was a good tussle that I'm sure McNeil took a lot out of.

Lewis Johnston showed no sign of being troubled by his hip complaint as he moved freely up the ground. He only display glimpses of his talent. He was much better a providing a lead than he was in competing in one-on-one wrestles with his defender - he tried a few bodywok manouevres that were easily countered by his opponent.

I felt Chris McKaigue had a better game today than a fortnight ago when he received some acknowledgement in the best players list. He is starting to feel more at home with the game, although he noticeably didn't want to bounce the ball today. He works hard running off the ball to provide an option (and very vocal in letting know he is an option)

Taylor Gilchrist had a few spoils but didn't see much of the ball. I would like to see him played further up, perhaps as a wingman as he has a prodigous kick. I suppose being played in defence is part of his football education.

Disappointingly, Byron Sumner had little to no impact on the game today. None of the characteristic darts from stoppages that had delighted me previously. It came as no surprise when he was rotated out of the midfield onto the wing and then finally defence where he was quite anonymous as well. Near the end of the game, he took a knock in a marking contest and was grimacing quite painfully but I suspect it was just cramp.

Scholarship players: I thought Jack Lynch was the pick of the quartet, competed well in defence and threw his body around. Jackson Potter provided the link through the wing and midfield although he did butcher a few kicks. Blake Guthrie was overawed at times but also competed well down back. Second time I've seen Nathan Kenny play and it's also the second time I can't remember anything about him at all. Sorry Nathan.

Topups: They recruited some big bodies today. Kieran Emery deserves a mention for shutting down Ben Hughes early, his foray up forward later on wasn't as impressive. David Linsen was the player that replaced Sumner in the middle. He used his chunky build to advantage, tackling well and providing a presence that Sumner hadn't been doing. Daniel Dickerson was the topup recruited from the Swans previous games in Canberra and his size must have been the reason for doing so. He started up forward where he looked promising before swapping with Emery. The switch didn't help his play as he was caught out of position in the last quarter a couple of times.

It was hard to miss the large Mitch Donovan who shows wonderful athleticism. He was quick over a short distance and has a good leap but there is a reason that he is playing in the lower grades of the Sydney AFL. That reason being his football nous is lacking. Once he led into space and Johnston duly kicked into that space. For no obvious reason he just stopped allowing the Ainslie defender to mark unopposed. Johnston was not pleased and threw up his hands in exasperation. Donovan also failed to use his big frame to hold position in marking contests. He was the initial relief ruckman, but the Swans soon turned to Emery in this position perhaps having no confidence in Donovan's play.

In general, the rest of the topups were quite solid too. Ainslie didn't seem to break too many tackles until near the end of the game when perhaps their lack of fitness told.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either
A new policy in play, one named emergency to sit out the reserves match instead of playing the first half. When Meredith came in for ROK, Vesz would have taken Meredith's spot as the emergency. This also happened two weeks ago when Meredith didn't play in the reserves before the Hawks game
OR
There was another player in real doubt right up until gametime.
OR
Vesz has signed with the Suns :)p just j/k)

AFL Canberra Round 18 preview: Belconnen Magpies vs The Sydney Swans Reserves http://bit.ly/2010Round18

Swan55, again if you have the jumper numbers that would be terrific.

57 Rohan BATES
19 Daniel BRADSHAW
10 Daniel CURRIE
53 Daniel DICKERSON
56 Jerome FARRELL
48 Lachlan FELSMAN
49 Brent FORD

46 Taylor GILCHRIST
45 Nathan GORDON
51 Mitch GORMAN
55 Zac GREIG
47 Blake GUTHRIE
35 Campbell HEATH
23 Lewis JOHNSTON
50 Nathan KENNY
54 Jake KING
52 Mitch MAY

36 Chris MCKAIGUE
28 Dylan MCNEIL
43 Matthew O'DWYER
44 Brady SCHOLES
26 Cameron SQUIRES
Having connection problems Grim, should be OK now, cheers!!
22 Byron SUMNER

Lets hope 19 plays well and gives the Magpie backline a real headache.

Reid, Rohan, Veszpremi have been named as emergencies for the seniors

57 Rohan BATES
19 Daniel BRADSHAW
10 Daniel CURRIE
53 Daniel DICKERSON
56 Jerome FARRELL
48 Lachlan FELSMAN
49 Brent FORD

46 Taylor GILCHRIST
45 Nathan GORDON
51 Mitch GORMAN
55 Zac GREIG
47 Blake GUTHRIE
35 Campbell HEATH
23 Lewis JOHNSTON
50 Nathan KENNY
54 Jake KING
52 Mitch MAY

36 Chris MCKAIGUE
28 Dylan MCNEIL
43 Matthew O'DWYER
44 Brady SCHOLES
26 Cameron SQUIRES
22 Byron SUMNER

Cheers mate.

You missed highlighting 44 and 26 as well.

57 Rohan BATES
19 Daniel BRADSHAW
10 Daniel CURRIE
53 Daniel DICKERSON
56 Jerome FARRELL
48 Lachlan FELSMAN
49 Brent FORD

46 Taylor GILCHRIST
45 Nathan GORDON
51 Mitch GORMAN
55 Zac GREIG
47 Blake GUTHRIE
35 Campbell HEATH
23 Lewis JOHNSTON
50 Nathan KENNY
54 Jake KING
52 Mitch MAY

36 Chris MCKAIGUE
28 Dylan MCNEIL
43 Matthew O'DWYER
44 Brady SCHOLES
26 Cameron SQUIRES
Having connection problems Grim, should be OK now, cheers!!
22 Byron SUMNER

Reid, Rohan, Veszpremi have been named as emergencies for the seniors
I have sneaky suspicion, depending on other results, if we are guaranteed a home final even if we lose, we may just rest a few if that is the case with the emergencies

Any reason why the Chosen One (Vesz) didn't play?

Sometimes I think he should turn up to training with dyed hair, a face lift, or something, just to make him look less like Nick Davis...

I have sneaky suspicion, depending on other results, if we are guaranteed a home final even if we lose, we may just rest a few if that is the case with the emergencies

It would not surprise me if we decide to rest some guys once we know the Collingwood v Hawthorn result.

Might be Vez's opportunity to show the coaches he will be pushing for a spot in 2010. Likewise Reid could be given a game to give him a taste.

Wouldn't be surprised. Much of Roosy's rhetoric over the last few weeks (when a finals spot had been essentially assured) was about getting people right for week one of the finals so should the Hawks lose to the Pies (which i think we all will agree is likely) i think there is a solid chance guys like ROK, Tadhg, Mal, Moore (anyone who might be carrying injuries/niggles) will get another week to rest up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back