Opinion Top 8 or not to Top 8?

should we push for top 8 or stay the course and try and get top 5 pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

After the great preformance over the weekend against saint kilda, it looks that we finally are getting everything clicking and fact that even before this game we were pushing the top 8 teams but at least losing in the 4th q.

so my questions is that should we push for a top 8 side since we are 3 wins away from 8th place (all depending on how other teams play etc etc) with a fixture that is quite winnable.

e.g.
Port TIO (good record against port up there)
Bye
Collingwood (we can push them and beat them)
Tigers (revenge match)
Melbourne
GWS

that's our next 5 games in which 4/5 are winnable games.

or should we stay the course and try and allow this final stage of the rebuild and gain a top 5 pick to acquire a young talent and push for top 8 next season.

thoughts?

You make it sound like a choice, we are a long way off 8, Richmond and North probably won't make 8 and they smashed us, 5-6 wins was about right at start of year and nothng has changed.

No, looking at the top 8 is St Kilda's mistake. We continue to progress and blood our boys the way we have been, if in this we somehow find ourselves in the top 8, (highly unlikely) then great, it will feel good for all of 5 minutes until we get smacked in first finals game and cry because we could have had another draft with our new found keen eye for talent.

Last week we were stroking our tom boyds with certainty, this week we are looking at top 8. Does this forum have bi-polar or what lol Why does it need to be extremes. Lets take it 1 week at a time, and watch the boys develop, everything else is beyond the blinkers and irrelevant for now. Just like us apparently hehehe

Last week we were stroking our tom boyds with certainty, this week we are looking at top 8. Does this forum have bi-polar or what lol Why does it need to be extremes. Lets take it 1 week at a time, and watch the boys develop, everything else is beyond the blinkers and irrelevant for now.

quoted for truths

bet we'll lose to Port next week and people want Macca in the dole queue again and retire all our 200+ gamers

Was nice to finally get a win, couple more for the year would be nice and probably all we can expect.

A win against a similarly placed St Kilda side is nothing to get excited about.

Top 8 is at least a couple of years away.

Top 8, seriously?

We are so far off that it's not funny. We only beat StKilda who are one rung above us on the ladder.

Stay the course and get another top 5 pick at seasons end. We are going to enter a secondary rebuild phase next year with possible retirements of Cross and Gia as well as having to delist some more second tier players (possible that Grant, Veszpremi, Austin, Greenwood, Redpath, and Grant could all go).

We are so far off the top 8 it's insane. We aren't going out looking to lose games. To suggest we are going for one or the other is pretty ludicrous. We'll still have our inconsistent games. Let's just hope they start to become less frequent.

8593099151_a146972cda_z.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Errrr, there's no decision to make here. We play our best team each week, which will comprise of a heap of kids (as they are NOT being gifted games and are in our best 22).

There's no "staying the course". Cross was dropped on form and hrovat was selected on form. And we played much much better footy.

5/6 wins max for us regardless. Don't forget we easily could have lost on the weekend. Wasn't much in it

I think (despite the weekends great win) this year is still a rebuilding one and I expect us to still finish bottom 4 and get some high draft picks. There's no point us finishing higher up the ladder without a) getting more games into our young players and b) filling some holes that remain in our list.

Just my thoughts

Not top 8..... But, I'm more thinking maybe top 8 next year if the cards fall our way with injuries the fixture and our youth developing at a steady rate.
Love that we got the points on the weekend but theres still the issue of fixing that lapse in concentration for 10-15 mins. This week it was the middle of the 2nd quarter where we leaked "easy" goals.

If we have the chance of winning games we should, no purposley losing like Melbourne. But the kids should always be developing.

I doubt we would get near the eight. Remmber some Round 1 expectations after that win?

Yeah we're nowhere near the 8. If somehow we turned it on for the rest of the year and won each game and made the top 8, I would be ecstatic! But it's realistically not going to happen. We know we're going to go out there and try to win games, and probably win some here and there, but not get near the 8. This is still a development year.

ha ha gave me a chuckle too. Last week were a basket-case this week should we push for finals lol.

Also as if its really a choice - unless we tank!

We will stick to our plans of rebuilding and developing, whilst also trying to win! If we pull off a miracle and find oursleves in or around the eight we certainly won't be tanking!

Also as if its really a choice - unless we tank!

Maybe we just do what St Kilda are aparently doing, submarining, tanking but sneakier! lol good delusional read over there.

Back