Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought DML deserved a reboot as we ponder future success.

A game that I fondly remember was Round 22 1971 at Princes Park between Carlton and Collingwood. Carlton would finish fifth after winning 14 games and drawing 1 in what was seen as an unsuccessful season. It was the last season involving a final four. Our season was derailed in the round 21 loss against Fitzroy at the Junction Oval. Yes folks the infamous fog match put an end to our season. I'm not sure how the fixture determined the Round 22 clash but it was certainly unusual to play Collingwood without a great deal hanging on the result.

I remember it because of its similarity to the 1970 Grand Final. At half time Collingwood led the game by 42 points. We played like a team disappointed at missing the Finals. This was Barassi's last game in charge of the Blues. He carried his hatred of Collingwood from Melbourne to Carlton so I could imagine the half time talk in the change rooms under the Heatley. Carlton's third quarter was solid rather than spectacular and reduced the margin to 18 points at orange time. My memory tells me that we were kicking to the scoreboard end in the last quarter. The late afternoon sun streamed across the ground and we might have had a wind advantage. An 8 goal last quarter made it a romp in the end and Carlton won by 19 points. Brent T. Crosswell starred kicking 5 goals. Not quite 100 games for Carlton but a sensational, athletic player. One of the best to wear the Navy Blue and should have been named in the Team of the Century. Perhaps his off field athleticism counted against him.

That '71 game was the one where Billy Barrott infamously took off his jumper and quit at half time

I really enjoy reading this thread as the Carlton board has a lot of excellent posters of my demographic. That is 40+ footy heads. I hope you won't mind if I add my earliest Carlton game.

The first Carlton game I attended was also my first visit to Victoria Park. In 1978 the Blues where in a chaotic state at the start of the season. The appointment of Ian Stewart as coach had clearly backfired badly with the playing list unhappy with the new regime. After six rounds Stewart had been sacked, Serg Silvagni had been installed in a temporary coaching role and the Blues were falling of the edge on 1-5. With no other options the club turned to their champion talisman Jezza to take the reins in an old fashioned captain/coach role. His first match in charge was Collingwood at Pie Park, as difficult a fixture as there was in those days. I went along with the family of a school mate who had reserved seats in the Ryder stand. The only VFL games I had been to before where at VFL Park and the MCG so that first experience of footy at a inner city suburban ground was something I will never forget. It's a shame that today's kids will never have that memory. As a kid ( 11 at the time ) you regard top level footballers as superhuman and this game had stars everywhere from both teams. Sitting in this tiny ground in close proximity to blokes like Picken, Jezza,McKay, Thompson, Ashman, Kink...it was just brilliant. The Blues were given no hope of turning their season around that day. Not against a strong Collingwood side. Impossible at Vic Park. Wrong. I remember it being a tough game in muddy conditions. A couple of times the Pies made a bit of a surge to grab the lead and with the crowd behind them seemed ready to take over but each time the Blues responded. Rod Ashman was the star, particularly in the last quarter when the Magpies where finally broken. The Blues finished with a great win by 17 points. There is a great photograph of Jezza jumping up and punching the air just after the sealing goal had been kicked late in the last quarter. In the background is the Victoria Park scoreboard. I'm sure plenty of you have seen it. His face was a combination of joy and relief which is what you would expect at he end of a big week for him and the club. Of course Carltons rebirth that day was confirmed by a their amazing run through the rest of the season. It is ironic that it was Pies who finally ended the run in the second semi final later that year, and in doing so created a huge combined sigh of relief from that years Grand Finalists North and Hawthorn. There is no doubt that the Carlton list was strengthened after 1978, and the appointment of Parkin was massively important but I recken the seeds of Carltons three flags in four years were sewn that chilly day at Collingwood, and I was there.

I really enjoy reading this thread as the Carlton board has a lot of excellent posters of my demographic. That is 40+ footy heads. I hope you won't mind if I add my earliest Carlton game.

The first Carlton game I attended was also my first visit to Victoria Park. In 1978 the Blues where in a chaotic state at the start of the season. The appointment of Ian Stewart as coach had clearly backfired badly with the playing list unhappy with the new regime. After six rounds Stewart had been sacked, Serg Silvagni had been installed in a temporary coaching role and the Blues were falling of the edge on 1-5. With no other options the club turned to their champion talisman Jezza to take the reins in an old fashioned captain/coach role. His first match in charge was Collingwood at Pie Park, as difficult a fixture as there was in those days. I went along with the family of a school mate who had reserved seats in the Ryder stand. The only VFL games I had been to before where at VFL Park and the MCG so that first experience of footy at a inner city suburban ground was something I will never forget. It's a shame that today's kids will never have that memory. As a kid ( 11 at the time ) you regard top level footballers as superhuman and this game had stars everywhere from both teams. Sitting in this tiny ground in close proximity to blokes like Picken, Jezza,McKay, Thompson, Ashman, Kink...it was just brilliant. The Blues were given no hope of turning their season around that day. Not against a strong Collingwood side. Impossible at Vic Park. Wrong. I remember it being a tough game in muddy conditions. A couple of times the Pies made a bit of a surge to grab the lead and with the crowd behind them seemed ready to take over but each time the Blues responded. Rod Ashman was the star, particularly in the last quarter when the Magpies where finally broken. The Blues finished with a great win by 17 points. There is a great photograph of Jezza jumping up and punching the air just after the sealing goal had been kicked late in the last quarter. In the background is the Victoria Park scoreboard. I'm sure plenty of you have seen it. His face was a combination of joy and relief which is what you would expect at he end of a big week for him and the club. Of course Carltons rebirth that day was confirmed by a their amazing run through the rest of the season. It is ironic that it was Pies who finally ended the run in the second semi final later that year, and in doing so created a huge combined sigh of relief from that years Grand Finalists North and Hawthorn. There is no doubt that the Carlton list was strengthened after 1978, and the appointment of Parkin was massively important but I recken the seeds of Carltons three flags in four years were sewn that chilly day at Collingwood, and I was there.

Outstanding contribution! Stuff like that is always welcome, this thread is all about stepping back in time and remembering what footy was like then. I have many memories of opposition grounds and the intense rivalry it created! Always welcome here Coombsy with that and glad you enjoy some of us 40 somethings getting nostalgic!

I thought DML deserved a reboot as we ponder future success.

A game that I fondly remember was Round 22 1971 at Princes Park between Carlton and Collingwood. Carlton would finish fifth after winning 14 games and drawing 1 in what was seen as an unsuccessful season. It was the last season involving a final four. Our season was derailed in the round 21 loss against Fitzroy at the Junction Oval. Yes folks the infamous fog match put an end to our season. I'm not sure how the fixture determined the Round 22 clash but it was certainly unusual to play Collingwood without a great deal hanging on the result.

I remember it because of its similarity to the 1970 Grand Final. At half time Collingwood led the game by 42 points. We played like a team disappointed at missing the Finals. This was Barassi's last game in charge of the Blues. He carried his hatred of Collingwood from Melbourne to Carlton so I could imagine the half time talk in the change rooms under the Heatley. Carlton's third quarter was solid rather than spectacular and reduced the margin to 18 points at orange time. My memory tells me that we were kicking to the scoreboard end in the last quarter. The late afternoon sun streamed across the ground and we might have had a wind advantage. An 8 goal last quarter made it a romp in the end and Carlton won by 19 points. Brent T. Crosswell starred kicking 5 goals. Not quite 100 games for Carlton but a sensational, athletic player. One of the best to wear the Navy Blue and should have been named in the Team of the Century. Perhaps his off field athleticism counted against him.

A bit out there, but undoubtedly a great footballer was Tiger Crosswell. Two best on grounds in Grand Finals and a Premiership player at 17. Just wow!

:thumbsu:

My first game was Carlton Vs Collingwood. I believe it was 95 but not sure? I recall Sam Newman had lost a bet and was wearing a pink leotard in the middle of the G. Anyone remember as it's sketchy

Look, it's Eddie Murphy :

12705439_1114230505267746_5409906081436986661_n.jpg

I can't remember Menzies doing a lap of honour. I remember his Bentley being parked on a ramp between the grandstands so he could watch the footy. Later on, he would be carried up and down the stairs of the Social Club like Cleopatra. You stood to one side as Bob, in his wheelchair, required all of the stairwell. One day I was close enough to hear him speak but I'll keep the content of that conversation to myself.;)

It was mentioned in yesterday's paper that Barassi ordered Bob Menzies to get out of the rooms at half time of the 1970 grand final.

Menzies out, Thornley off, Hopkins on !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any self respecting Carlton fan should know about the 1979 Grand Final win over Collingwood and the fuss made over the part of game where Wayne Harmes on a wet muddy day has a kick come off side of his boot around half forward area and the ball is seemingly heading to go over the boundary line, but he does not concede it going over the line and chases it down just as it is starts to head over the boundary line and taps it back to Kenny Sheldon as a very important goal in close grand final is created seemingly out of nothing.

However what interests me about it was it seemed to be a habit of this team to never concede a bit of play is over.
Check out another video of a game the previous year against North on this next video.
Take note of the last segment of play on the highlights video just past the 3 minute mark and check out what Maclure did near the boundary line and none other than Kenny Sheldon was waiting ready for the tap on.

Clearly these guys had put this into practice at training and a year later in 1979 it paid very handsome dividends of a premiership.
Practice Makes Perfect!!!

Last edited:
Any self respecting Carlton fan should know about the 1979 Grand Final win over Collingwood and the fuss made over the part of game where Wayne Harmes on a wet muddy day has a kick come off side of his boot around half forward area and the ball is seemingly heading to go over the boundary line, but he does not concede it going over the line and chases it down just as it is starts to head over the boundary line and taps it back to Kenny Sheldon as a very important goal in close grand final is created seemingly out of nothing.

However what interests me about it was it seemed to be a habit of this team to never concede a bit of play is over.
Check out another video of a game the previous year against North on this next video.
Take note of the last segment of play on the highlights video just past the 3 minute mark and check out what Maclure did near the boundary line and none other than Kenny Sheldon was waiting ready for the tap on.

Clearly these guys had put this into practice at training and a year later in 1979 it paid very handsome dividends of a premiership.
Practice Makes Perfect!!!

Was there.

Bosustow was meant to return to Princes Park from WA midway through the 1984 season but it didn't eventuate because the clubs couldn't agree on a suitable transfer fee. Carlton offered $20K and East Perth wanted $25K and neither club would budge on the figure.

Bosustow said he was dirty on the fact a mere $5K prevented him playing for the Blues again.

My SuperCoach side is named "BringBackBosustow". Those of us who saw "Buzz" play will never forget how good he was. People generally remember his marks & goals but I've never seen a player smother so many kicks. The guy was a freak & it's a pity we only had him for the three seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back