Preview R9: Changes v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Both. Brad Crouch should have been backed in. Douglas should have been dropped. Van Berlo should never see AFL again.

Brad has been backed in long term, but the last few weeks have shown he's not right at the moment. He'll be back.

I have no issue with VB playing if he's the best option (giving appropriate balance to long-term and short-term thinking). The problem is I don't think he is given the SANFL performance of our depth mids.

At two poor performances. Only two players who have copped it, senior poor players remain and a poor senior player returns.

We make to the decision to play Crouch with limited game time, he plays two games and then just when you think he could benefit from the third we drop him.

The other mind blowing poor decision is our midfield has been poor and we've only brought in one midfielder.

Pyke falling into the same traps as previous coaches. No guts.

Matt Crouch hasn't done enough and Lyons deserves his chance. If Matt is the player we hope he is, he'll find his way back soon enough.

And yet Douglas is still in.

Matt has probably been our 2nd best inside midfielder for the past few weeks, with Thompson slowing down and Douglas being wretchedly bad, so no that's a load of bull.

Brad on the otherhand, i'll accept.

Douglas was s**t last week, yeah, but I'd say B Crouch has been considerably worse since his return.

Douglas has earned some credits in the bank, B Crouch hasn't yet.

To be fair, VB has been out for a long time, so it's not like a revolving door in terms of selection there. If Brad Crouch had been even halfway acceptable, I doubt we'd have seen him in. I would have much preferred to see CEY or even Gore or Wigg, but this is a case of a player in Crouch forcing himself out the team rather than VB being given a free ticket back in.
Douglas was just as bad against the Bulldogs.

And Douglas is a senior player, he should be one of our leading midfielders not playing 2 games in a row when he hasn't achieved 10 possessions. At least Crouch has lack of afl touch to fall back on, Douglas has no excuse.

I'm struggling to comprehend how Pyke could make these moves after doing everything right in selections for the first few rounds

Has been sucked into those who have been at the AFC for a long time and are stuck in their ways in regards to selection and will always think of VB as some sort of deity.

Are people mostly upset just with VB being in? Or with dropping the Crouches?

I agree that VB being in is a pity, given that there are other mids who deserve a look in, CEY at the top of the list for mine.

But dropping the two Crouches was a no-brainer. Brad will be fine but at the moment he's a liability. Give him some time in the SANFL to find his feet.

Matt Crouch hasn't done enough and Lyons deserves his chance. If Matt is the player we hope he is, he'll find his way back soon enough.
50/50.

Matt is rested so he's not really a talking point.

Brad has been poor but with how we rushed him in, surely we give him a few, especially against a weakened GC team to see what he can do. Dropping him to the SANFL for a match followed by a bye does what for us exactly? Do we then bring him straight back in after another meaningless 35+ disposal game or do we make him sit out a week for another game (and I think we have another bye after that). So that's a big fail in my eyes.

Now if we brought in an inside mid that might pick up the slack then perhaps I wouldn't mind as much but when Van Berlo is the one that's coming in....He's been useless for years and yet we keep looking to him, incredibly frustrating to see us continue to select guys like him.

Pyke falling into the same traps as previous coaches. No guts.

Hang on... he's just dropped Brad Crouch, the Prodigal Son, because he's basically lazy. He's giving McGovern and Milera every opportunity. The VB in is questionable, but "no guts"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Crouch is going to be rusty! He's had a long stint out with the injury! Show some faith in him and watch him grow some confidence. But nah we have to bring a plodder in VB
Can't believe it BRouch out when he has been still getting hold of double the ball of Douglas and at least tackling still

I hear that the marketing department has decided to hand out free apple turnovers to opppsition fans at every game in order to bring the strategic directions of our on and off field departments closer together.

Douglas was just as bad against the Bulldogs.

And Douglas is a senior player, he should be one of our leading midfielders not playing 2 games in a row when he hasn't achieved 10 possessions. At least Crouch has lack of afl touch to fall back on, Douglas has no excuse.

Douglas was arguably worse against the Bulldogs than he was against the Cats. His missed set shots were disgusting. At least he just wasn't even a factor against Geelong.

Panic after losing two games? Not a good sign at all.
Signs were there when he wanted to talk about umpiring after we got smashed in midfield by Bulldogs. That's loser talk. No surprise we got walloped again the same way against Geelong.

Early signs are there he has a nice game plan, and no ability to create a winning mentality.

There has been plenty of opportunity for a Blighty-style rant / dropping of former leaders associated with a failed culture. Doesn't seem to be his approach.

Crows Twitter feed is going off. Everyone is smashing the Crows for picking VB. Someone asked for the selection committee to be dropped! Lol. Reckon Pykey etc will be shown that as the response is so bad. Why is the selection committee the only ones who can't see it??!!!!!

You know the changes are bad when posters would have been slammed as trolls for suggesting during the week.

I can't say that VB for B. Crouch is the worst change ever, but it's the worst I've ever seen. For long term list management this pretty concerning.

Last edited:
Hang on... he's just dropped Brad Crouch, the Prodigal Son, because he's basically lazy. He's giving McGovern and Milera every opportunity. The VB in is questionable, but "no guts"?

Perhaps I should say lost his guts already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back