No Oppo Supporters Umpiring in the grand final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all long time lurker, first time poster. So the farcical umpiring on Saturday has compelled me to finally post on here and I actually hate complaining about umpiring but what transpired on Saturday was just something else.

I feel so much for the players losing this way. On Saturday I was angry, upset, disappointed and after a day or so has passed I still feel completely flat and pissed off.

From a purely selfish point of view it just angers me that after spending so much on flights, tickets etc (as all fans) I was sitting there on Saturday and I was genuinely thinking how the hell are we going to win with this umpiring. It was just incredibly frustrating. As a fan I just wanted to see a fair game, we were behind the eight ball from the first few minutes and I just had this bad feeling that the day was not going to end well.

I don't think we can say that the umpiring cost us a victory but there is no doubt that it cost us a chance of winning and that just frustrates the hell out of me. We may not have won all things being fair but we deserved the chance to find out if we were good enough. If we lost because we were purely not good enough then so be it but losing this way is just the worst feeling. I am shattered…

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but on top of the hannebery, jack leg swipes, the other i recall was papley having his legs taken out by a diving dogs player. They just replayed the incident on 360 (which confirms it for me) though not to cite the leg swipe against a swans player but the bravery of dale morris diving for the ball. **** how much more of this shite is there!

I guess this was my reaction to the Hanners non-call in the 4th. You can only take so much.
raw

I'm not only p155ed off with the atrocious one sided umpiring in this years GF. I'm p155ed off with the systemic and deplorable treatment we've been getting from the umps for as long as I can remember.

The important matches that stand out to me are the 96 GF (King sliding into O'Briens head among others), the 2005 Qualifying Final against West Coast (esp the frees against Goodes and Barry in the dying minutes) and the 2005 GF (fortunately we won this but the umpires did their best to ensure we didn't). These games are classic examples of the umpires screwing us over either consciously or subconsciously.

But what I saw on Saturday takes the cake. It's like a nightmare that I keep reliving hoping that it was just a bad dream. I can accept that umpires make mistakes but this was systemic cheating. I have no other logical explanation for it. Had it been incompetence then surely some of those bad calls would have been in our favour. All of those throws that were labelled as handballs, that throw between the legs by Hunter, Jack being called for tripping his opponent when he dove on the ball, Mills being called for holding the ball when he clearly hand balled it, etc, etc. It's not even a situation where the interpretation was different on the day because the Swans were penalized for doing things that the Bulldogs got away with.

I'm not one of those idiots that believes in conspiracy theories but there is definitely more to this that it simply being a coincidence. The truth is probably somewhere between the umps getting swayed by the crowd noise and the AFL selecting these umpires because they knew that they would favour the Bulldogs style.

It's too late for us but the AFL needs to conduct a thorough investigation into this to ensure that it never happens again. If the Swans don't lodge a very big complaint with the AFL I'll be really, really p155ed with them. To think that the results of an entire season were changed as a result bias umpiring goes against the very fabric of sport.

9 of the last 10 flags have been won by Vic based teams.
Hardly a national competition when all roads lead to the MCG.
That's probably not a reason for us getting reamed. It's hawks and Geelong who are well run clubs. It's a fact that 10 of the clubs are from the heartland and have nothing to do with our loss. Sorry for the earlier call, but im angry.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but on top of the hannebery, jack leg swipes, the other i recall was papley having his legs taken out by a diving dogs player. They just replayed the incident on 360 (which confirms it for me) though not to cite the leg swipe against a swans player but the bravery of dale morris diving for the ball. **** how much more of this shite is there!
Yep, 3 non calls on slide tackles, one resulting in a knee injury to Hanners.

Also 3 frees against the Swans where there was no actual contact, not to mention the Grundy decision and the Hunter scoop. I don't know that we would have won, but Hanners was a huge loss due to a tackle that was condoned on the day.

The free to Smith and the non 50m penalty to Jack would have accounted for a 2 goal closer outcome without factoring in Hanners absence after the 1 minute mark of the last quarter. Would have been a much better game if it was properly umpired.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

fair point. We've been penalized on and off the field for toeing the line, may as well go whole hog.

Cola removed despite following guidelines, trade ban for no reason, academy picks system amended cuz of whinging, and now hardness unrewarded in favour of "free flowing footy". Sounds like a super villain origin story. Let's **** s**t up next season
I agree. If you can't beat them, join them. If the AFL didn't want this then they would have taken steps to stop it. It was very clear in 2012 the Whorethorn were running head long into their opponents in order to draw frees and nothing was done about it. So I say, screw doing the right thing.

I'm not only p155ed off with the atrocious one sided umpiring in this years GF. I'm p155ed off with the systemic and deplorable treatment we've been getting from the umps for as long as I can remember.

The important matches that stand out to me are the 96 GF (King sliding into O'Briens head among others), the 2005 Qualifying Final against West Coast (esp the frees against Goodes and Barry in the dying minutes) and the 2005 GF (fortunately we won this but the umpires did their best to ensure we didn't). These games are classic examples of the umpires screwing us over either consciously or subconsciously.

But what I saw on Saturday takes the cake. It's like a nightmare that I keep reliving hoping that it was just a bad dream. I can accept that umpires make mistakes but this was systemic cheating. I have no other logical explanation for it. Had it been incompetence then surely some of those bad calls would have been in our favour. All of those throws that were labelled as handballs, that throw between the legs by Hunter, Jack being called for tripping his opponent when he dove on the ball, Mills being called for holding the ball when he clearly hand balled it, etc, etc. It's not even a situation where the interpretation was different on the day because the Swans were penalized for doing things that the Bulldogs got away with.

I'm not one of those idiots that believes in conspiracy theories but there is definitely more to this that it simply being a coincidence. The truth is probably somewhere between the umps getting swayed by the crowd noise and the AFL selecting these umpires because they knew that they would favour the Bulldogs style.

It's too late for us but the AFL needs to conduct a thorough investigation into this to ensure that it never happens again. If the Swans don't lodge a very big complaint with the AFL I'll be really, really p155ed with them. To think that the results of an entire season were changed as a result bias umpiring goes against the very fabric of sport.

Regarding the bolded, it probably came down to the umps seeing so much pro bulldogs media during the week. Even if they're consciously trying to be impartial, subconsciously all the bs about the fairytale story, brave bob etc would get in their heads

If the Swans don't lodge a very big complaint with the AFL I'll be really, really p155ed with them. To think that the results of an entire season were changed as a result bias umpiring goes against the very fabric of sport.

The sad thing is that I don't think the club will lodge a complaint going by the club's lack of challenging the trade ban.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires decisions were up there with mitch marsh being continually selected in the test side or henriques getting a game

Club wont complain, they arent going to replay the game

And gerard whately saying the touched goal overturn shouldnt have happened. **** me what a ******* joke and these ****s get paid for this
I don't see how anyone with a brain can dispute that call. The ball has to pass over the line in it entirety and it didn't. There was only a centimetre in it, but it didn't.

Kieren Jack gets his legs taken out, free kick McLean.

This is the best one. Rampe gets the handball away and gets pinged HTB. Clay Smith dives in the F50 and gets a free kick. Then on the replay they show Morris taking out Papley's legs. 3 in 1.

I had a discussion with a colleague about this today....he was applauding Morris for that very incident.
It was infuriating, yes Morris was brave, yes Morris was desperate, in a previous era that would've been a brilliant and inspiring piece of play, but in 2016 it was a pretty clear cut infringement

Yep, 3 non calls on slide tackles, one resulting in a knee injury to Hanners.

Also 3 frees against the Swans where there was no actual contact, not to mention the Grundy decision and the Hunter scoop. I don't know that we would have won, but Hanners was a huge loss due to a tackle that was condoned on the day.

The free to Smith and the non 50m penalty to Jack would have accounted for a 2 goal closer outcome without factoring in Hanners absence after the 1 minute mark of the last quarter. Would have been a much better game if it was properly umpired.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

I know I keep getting on here to moan, but I'm still so frustrated that there is an absence of any recognition that what happened was anything other repeatedly bad decisions which were paid in a game decided by inches.

For example there is the clearest push in the back on Tom Mitchell after about one minute in the second quarter which directly effects his kick. The kick becomes a turnover straight to jj. He thumps the ball back and then there is a series of scrambles which ultimately lead to bontampelli hitting Boyd and hi. Kicking a goal.

Now there are all sorts of aspects to this - we didn't clear the ball, didn't tackle bontampelli, Boyd marked and kicked the goal. But you simply can't say in a game decided by inches and where the ball so rarely emerged from either forward fifty stoppage without points being scored, that this didn't impact the game.

Umpires decisions were up there with mitch marsh being continually selected in the test side or henriques getting a game

Club wont complain, they arent going to replay the game

I do think they'll seek an explanation. It won't change anything but they do have to register their displeasure. They owe it to their members.

Are you reading this Andrew?

Luke ball sounds as one eyed vic as they come....seemed to almost wanna turn a blind eye to hannebery's free..."It wasn’t a clear cut one where Easton Wood bowled through him...".......“Initially it looked like a red hot contest from both players but on replay it looked different”..

Luke ball sounds as one eyed vic as they come....seemed to almost wanna turn a blind eye to hannebery's free..."It wasn’t a clear cut one where Easton Wood bowled through him...".......“Initially it looked like a red hot contest from both players but on replay it looked different”..
I actually agree with him, but in the end it was 1 of 3 the same for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back